    amount of clicking the mouse would let me enter my log-in information).
    I am sure there might be more problems to come but these two stand out.
    Ideas?

    Steven Chipman, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Steven Chipman wrote:
    > I recently used a trial registry cleanup and repair program but now I
    > have problems with my CD-R/RW drive (it shows all blank discs as full
    > and won't write or copy) and browsers (tried to log on Yahoo and no
    > amount of clicking the mouse would let me enter my log-in
    > information). I am sure there might be more problems to come but
    > these two stand out. Ideas?

    Always use a regcleaner with the possibility to set a backup back to the
    registery.
    Or, take first a backup from the registery and then clean.
    You can use reg.doctor or jv16PowerTools. Both have backup facilities.
    Succes,

    --
    \\\|///
    {--O O--}

    El Capitán©, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Steven Chipman

    Steve n Debs Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 19:21:17 -0500, Steven Chipman wrote:

    > I recently used a trial registry cleanup and repair program but now I
    > have problems with my CD-R/RW drive (it shows all blank discs as full
    > and won't write or copy) and browsers (tried to log on Yahoo and no
    > amount of clicking the mouse would let me enter my log-in information).
    > I am sure there might be more problems to come but these two stand out.
    > Ideas?

    Restore the backup. You did create a registry backup before doing anything,
    right?

    Steve n Debs, Jan 5, 2006
  4. Steven Chipman

    fred-bloggs Guest

    Steven Chipman <> wrote in news:eEZuf.33682$Ou3.11001
    @dukeread09:

    > I recently used a trial registry cleanup and repair program but now I
    > have problems with my CD-R/RW drive (it shows all blank discs as full
    > and won't write or copy) and browsers (tried to log on Yahoo and no
    > amount of clicking the mouse would let me enter my log-in information).
    > I am sure there might be more problems to come but these two stand out.
    > Ideas?

    System Restore?

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Jan 5, 2006
  5. fred-bloggs wrote:
    > Steven Chipman <> wrote in news:eEZuf.33682$Ou3.11001
    > @dukeread09:
    >

    >>I recently used a trial registry cleanup and repair program but now I
    >>have problems with my CD-R/RW drive (it shows all blank discs as full
    >>and won't write or copy) and browsers (tried to log on Yahoo and no
    >>amount of clicking the mouse would let me enter my log-in information).
    >> I am sure there might be more problems to come but these two stand out.
    >>Ideas?

    > System Restore?

    Yes that did the trick....I just had to find the right date to reverse
    the changes plus apply the setting on the cd drive to burn discs

    Steven Chipman, Jan 5, 2006
  6. Steven Chipman

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Steven - Glad you were able to recover; for future reference:

    In my experience all of these Reg cleaners, even the best, are fraught with
    danger. I advise against using them except in one specific instance, that
    is when you have one that is capable of doing specific Reg searches, and you
    NEED (not just WANT) to remove the remaining traces of something that didn't
    get uninstalled correctly. (and you didn't have foresight enough to install
    it using Total Uninstall, http://www.martau.com/ or free direct dwnld here:
    http://digilander.libero.it/molearchive3/tun235.zip or here:
    http://freeware4u.com/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=234, in the
    first place.) (As an aside, there are, however, some third party Registry
    Editors which can be of great help with both the incorrect uninstall and
    with certain malware problems, especially some of theCoolWebSearch types
    such as the AppInit_DLLs variant of the about:blank version of CWS, for
    example. I can recommend Registrar Lite, here:
    http://www.resplendence.com/reglite .)

    There are a couple of specific bugs that can cause abnormal growth in either
    the System or Software hives; however, they are rare, and unless these hives
    in %SystemRoot%\System32\config are very, very large (in the hundreds of
    megabytes), then I would council you to leave your Registry alone except for
    the special circumstances I mentioned above.

    I and most other MVP's that I know believe that Registry modifications of
    any type are probably best done manually, very carefully, with a thorough
    knowledge of what's installed on your machine, and what you're doing, and
    then only when necessary. There's very little (if any!) noticeable benefit
    in either space saving or speed achievable by cleaning out the Registry
    except in those few cases where there's a specific problem the client is
    experiencing (usually uninstall or malware related in my experience) that
    needs to be fixed.

    Lastly, if you must screw around with your Registry, then at least get
    Erunt/Erdnt, and run it before you do the Reg clean. You'll then have a
    true restore available to you. Read below to see why you might not just
    using the Reg cleaner's restore:

    Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ I've set it up to take a
    scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis, and a
    Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt, and for some
    useful information about this subject.

    This program is one of the best things around - saved my butt on many
    occasions, and will also run very nicely from a DOS prompt (in case you've
    done something that won't let you boot any more and need to revert to a
    previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup disk with NTFS
    write drivers in an NTFS system. (There is also a way using the Recovery
    Console to get back to being "bootable" even without separate DOS write NTFS
    drivers, after which you can do a "normal" Erdnt restore.) (BTW, it also
    includes a Registry defragger program). Free, and very, very highly
    recommended.

    FYI, quoting from the above document:

    "Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a
    complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
    (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the
    exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
    one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
    registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.

    FWIW, the second question I ask clients is whether they've recently used a
    Reg Cleaner or tried to restore from one. (The first question I ask is
    whether they've any non-commercial Norton/Symantec software installed.
    )

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Jan 5, 2006
  7. Steven Chipman

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 08:54:37 -0800 If you fall from a tree,leave your
    anger on the branch and then "Jim Byrd" <>
    sent this :

    >Hi Steven - Glad you were able to recover; for future reference:
    >

    >In my experience all of these Reg cleaners, even the best, are fraught with
    >danger.

    This has never happened on any system I have used,built or worked on
    in 10 years.Easy Cleaner/Regcleaner and also Regseeker have been
    superb.
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Jan 5, 2006
  8. Steven Chipman

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Shep - I don't normally engage in this kind of dispute; however, I would
    point out to you that - in addition to my own experience as well as that
    reported by many others - the OP's post started this thread by pointing out
    that his experience hadn't been as happy as yours. As you pointed out -
    YMMV, and of course you're certainly entitled to use them if you so chose.
    If you do so, I would still recommend the use of Erunt/Erdnt for the reasons
    given.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here: