Screwed....

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by mrT, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. mrT

    mrT Guest

    Hah! I was just finishing up this post when the earth leakage switch
    tripped. The only appliance on in the house was my PC, so it seems I'm
    cursed.

    There's a computer at school that was bought basically for just me and
    a few others to use for the school website and so on. We wanted to get
    it to support video capture for some projects, so I brought in my GF4
    Ti4200 with VIVO (I debated whether or not to bother - now I kind of
    wish I hadn't).

    Open the case (power cable still in - oops), discharge myself on the
    chassis, pull out the existing card, and... the CPU fan spins up
    spontaneously, then stops. Hmmm, okay. Must have hit something. Finish
    the installation anyway, press 'on'. Fans spin, but there's no POST.
    Not even a beep.

    Okay, swop cards back round again, press 'on'. Fans spin for a second,
    then stop. No time for a beep, let alone POST. Press 'on' again.
    Nothing! Take a moment to panic.

    If the power is turned off, then on again, at the _plug_, the cycle
    starts again - fans will spin on first power-up, then nothing on all
    subsequent attempts.

    I tested the PSU independent of the mobo, and it works, so I can only
    assume that I've fried the mobo or CPU (let's hope not both).
    Fortunately I haven't blown my own card away, since that cost as much
    as the CPU and mobo together.

    But a friend who happens to have a similar mobo (it's a Chaintech
    Summit, nForce 2), said that his was shorting with the case and
    wouldn't boot, until he replaced the metal standoffs with plastic
    ones. We took out the metal standoffs on the school PC, but to no
    avail.

    Can anyone tell me what's likely to have happened, so I have a good
    explanation when Monday comes. And so I'm ready to quote the cost of
    replacing whatever's died. Argh. Help!

    Thanks!
    mrT, Oct 24, 2003

  2. >From: (mrT)
    >Newsgroups: alt.computer
    >Date: 24 Oct 2003 07:36:28 -0700

    >Hah! I was just finishing up this post when the earth leakage switch
    >tripped. The only appliance on in the house was my PC, so it seems I'm
    >cursed.
    >
    >There's a computer at school that was bought basically for just me and
    >a few others to use for the school website and so on. We wanted to get
    >it to support video capture for some projects, so I brought in my GF4
    >Ti4200 with VIVO (I debated whether or not to bother - now I kind of
    >wish I hadn't).
    >
    >Open the case (power cable still in - oops), discharge myself on the
    >chassis, pull out the existing card, and... the CPU fan spins up
    >spontaneously, then stops. Hmmm, okay.

    You did power down the PC before replacing the the graphix card, right?

    Must have hit something. Finish
    >the installation anyway, press 'on'. Fans spin, but there's no POST.
    >Not even a beep.
    >
    >Okay, swop cards back round again, press 'on'. Fans spin for a second,
    >then stop. No time for a beep, let alone POST. Press 'on' again.
    >Nothing! Take a moment to panic.
    >
    >If the power is turned off, then on again, at the _plug_, the cycle
    >starts again - fans will spin on first power-up, then nothing on all
    >subsequent attempts.
    >
    >I tested the PSU independent of the mobo, and it works, so I can only
    >assume that I've fried the mobo or CPU (let's hope not both).
    >Fortunately I haven't blown my own card away, since that cost as much
    >as the CPU and mobo together.
    >
    >But a friend who happens to have a similar mobo (it's a Chaintech
    >Summit, nForce 2), said that his was shorting with the case and
    >wouldn't boot, until he replaced the metal standoffs with plastic
    >ones. We took out the metal standoffs on the school PC, but to no
    >avail.
    >
    >Can anyone tell me what's likely to have happened, so I have a good
    >explanation when Monday comes. And so I'm ready to quote the cost of
    >replacing whatever's died. Argh. Help!
    >
    >Thanks!

    Is the PC configured as it was before?

    Reseat the memory sticks.

    Make sure the cards are not slanted.

    - -- - -- - --
    -- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
    - -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -
    --
    Necessity is the Mother of invention.

    I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.
    caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 24, 2003

  3. mrT

    Thor Guest

    Sounds to me like you toasted something on the board by pulling and
    reinserting that card with board power.

    Thor, Oct 24, 2003
  4. mrT

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    pAmNot ( caveat lector - reader beware) wrote in

    > You did power down the PC before replacing the the graphix card, right?

    I've seen this happen numerous times for no reason what so ever. That's
    why I always kill the power switch on the supply before working. But if I
    don't (which I tend to do more often with my own equipment), pulling a card
    or changing a jumper sometimes causes the board to power on for no good
    reason.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Oct 25, 2003
  5. On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:57:50 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    > ( caveat lector - reader beware) wrote in
    >
    >> You did power down the PC before replacing the the graphix card, right?
    >>

    >I've seen this happen numerous times for no reason what so ever.

    There's alaways a reason, unless you think it's divine intervention. You just
    don't always know what the reason is.

    > That's
    >why I always kill the power switch on the supply before working. But if I
    >don't (which I tend to do more often with my own equipment), pulling a card
    >or changing a jumper sometimes causes the board to power on for no good
    >reason.

    See above.

    BB
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Oct 25, 2003
  6. mrT

    mrT Guest

    Thanks for the info guys. Even though I normally do pull out power, I
    _thought_ it could even be argued to be better to work with power. Or
    is that just AT?

    Is it possible that the power came on spontaneously because of a
    sudden voltage / electromagnetic thingy... I can turn my computer on
    by switching on a light near the case.

    One other question: is it conceivable that a damaged board could
    damage any CPU stuck in it? Another one: with these symptoms, is it
    _possible_ for it to be the CPU alone that's died?

    mrT, Oct 25, 2003
  7. mrT

    Guest

    FYI,

    Dell FAQ for my current unit says to unplug the box. Then press the
    on/off switch multiple times. Sure enough, even after unplugging, the
    board has a small green light that only goes out after pressing the
    on/off switch.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem
    , Oct 25, 2003
  8. mrT

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote in

    > There's alaways a reason, unless you think it's divine intervention.
    > You just don't always know what the reason is.

    Yes, there is always a reason. Let me rephrase:
    I see this happen for no obvious reason, as in, no one touched the power
    button, the power on pins did not get shorted, there is no Wake On Lan
    waking it up. It mysteriously turns on without warning.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 25, 2003
  9. mrT

    Thor Guest

    "mrT" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the info guys. Even though I normally do pull out power, I
    > _thought_ it could even be argued to be better to work with power. Or
    > is that just AT?

    That's just AT, or if you have an ATX supply with a master cutoff switch at
    the rear that can disable all power to the board. Otherwise, you definitely
    unplug an ATX supply before working on the system internally. The benefit of
    the ground connection doesn't outweigh the risk of frying parts due to
    working with live circuits.

    > Is it possible that the power came on spontaneously because of a
    > sudden voltage / electromagnetic thingy... I can turn my computer on
    > by switching on a light near the case.

    well then clearly the system is sensitive to such things.

    > One other question: is it conceivable that a damaged board could
    > damage any CPU stuck in it? Another one: with these symptoms, is it
    > _possible_ for it to be the CPU alone that's died?

    Sure it's possible for a bad board to take out the CPU. But the CPU *alone*
    being faulty? I wouldn't think it's likely.
    Thor, Oct 25, 2003
  10. mrT

    Frederick Guest

    Did you have the power on to it, or did you leave the power on to the
    motherboard?
    You can try...Unplug the computers power. Open the case, remove the
    battery, and reset the system. Look for the two soder points on the
    motherboard to reset the CMOS. try that.

    Frederick, Oct 25, 2003
  11. mrT

    Thor Guest

    I bet that if you wait a few seconds after unplugging the system, the light
    will go out on it's own without cycling the power switch. It's just the caps
    retaining a charge for a brief time.

    Thor, Oct 25, 2003
  12. mrT

    FBC3 Guest

    >the earth leakage switch
    >tripped

    Earth leakage switch? What's that?
    FBC3, Oct 26, 2003
  13. mrT

    V W Wall Guest

    FBC3 wrote:

    > >the earth leakage switch
    > >tripped

    > Earth leakage switch? What's that?

    On the US side of the pond, it's called a Ground Fault Protector.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........
    V W Wall, Oct 26, 2003
  14. mrT

    bambam Guest

    (FBC3) wrote in news:20031025214933.11396.00000094@mb-
    m15.aol.com:

    >>the earth leakage switch
    >>tripped

    > Earth leakage switch? What's that?

    Its the same as a Residual Current Device. :)

    Google is your friend.

    --
    The last fight was my fault.
    My wife asked "what's on the TV"?
    bambam, Oct 26, 2003
  15. mrT

    Plato Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Yes, there is always a reason. Let me rephrase:
    > I see this happen for no obvious reason, as in, no one touched the power
    > button, the power on pins did not get shorted, there is no Wake On Lan
    > waking it up. It mysteriously turns on without warning.

    I've seen this also on my sons old pc. Wake on lan/moden turned off.
    Still, sometimes the bitch would just start up. win98se. My educated
    guess is that the wake on modem switch in the bios was faulty.
    Plato, Oct 26, 2003
  16. mrT

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:3f9b6679$0$20616$:

    > I've seen this also on my sons old pc. Wake on lan/moden turned off.
    > Still, sometimes the bitch would just start up. win98se. My educated
    > guess is that the wake on modem switch in the bios was faulty.

    What's really freaky is that my desktop will /not/ stay off. It is not set
    to wake on anything, but if I shut it down, within 5 minutes it turns back
    on. I shut it down the other night, layed down, and then heard it come
    back on. I walked over, shut it back down again, went back to bed. 2
    minutes later it comes back on. I finally just said "Ok, whatever
    spiritual or alien thing that needs to use it, just log off and turn the
    monitor and speakers off when your done" and went to bed.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 26, 2003
  17. mrT

    V W Wall Guest

    bambam wrote:

    > (FBC3) wrote in news:20031025214933.11396.00000094@mb-
    > m15.aol.com:
    >
    > >>the earth leakage switch
    > >>tripped

    > > Earth leakage switch? What's that?

    > Its the same as a Residual Current Device. :)
    >
    > Google is your friend.

    The first Google reference is titled "Ground Fault Protection", the most
    common name used in the US. Most building codes require them on outlets
    located in bathrooms and kitchens. Also on swimming pool lights.

    Virg Wall
    V W Wall, Oct 26, 2003
  18. mrT

    Plato Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > > I've seen this also on my sons old pc. Wake on lan/moden turned off.
    > > Still, sometimes the bitch would just start up. win98se. My educated
    > > guess is that the wake on modem switch in the bios was faulty.

    > What's really freaky is that my desktop will /not/ stay off. It is not set
    > to wake on anything, but if I shut it down, within 5 minutes it turns back
    > on. I shut it down the other night, layed down, and then heard it come
    > back on. I walked over, shut it back down again, went back to bed. 2
    > minutes later it comes back on. I finally just said "Ok, whatever
    > spiritual or alien thing that needs to use it, just log off and turn the
    > monitor and speakers off when your done" and went to bed.

    Got a modem in it?
    Plato, Oct 26, 2003
  19. mrT

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:3f9b7e45$0$20616$:

    > Got a modem in it?

    Nope. I have a LAN card, but the LAN card doesn't support wake on lan, the
    wake on lan header on the motherboard has nothing attached to it, and in
    the BIOS the machine is set to stay off after power failure, don't wake up
    at a certain time, don't wake on lan, don't wake on ring.

    Basically, there was no valid reason for the machine to just turn on. I
    imagine it's a fluke thing that probably won't happen again if I try it
    again.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 26, 2003
  20. mrT

    Plato Guest