Screwed by Michael

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alt-Ctrl-Del, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    Alt-Ctrl-Del Guest

    That bastard got me. Or maybe not. That is what I have come to ask. I
    bought and received a new Dell today and it was showcased for 256MB,
    DDR-SDRAM @ 400MHz.

    Well, I have the 256MB, DDR, SDRAM, but not the 400MHz system memory speed.
    In Setup the memory is listed as running at a system speed of 333 MHz. So I
    call Dell and one of their reps tell me that 333MHz system speed for the
    memory is actually exactly the same as 400MHZ, it is in reality the same
    thing. Is this true?

    Also, the system was billed and advertised as an 80 GB Hard-drive and all I
    can find is one 71.4 GB NTFS partition which is C:, one 3.something GB
    partition that is just regular FAT32, and another for 32MB, not GB, that is
    just FAT.
    So, all of them together still don't = 80 GB.

    The Dell rep. says that this is perfectly normal also and that I don't know
    how to add and it is really an 80 GB hard-drive. Okay, she didn't say that
    but she did say that it really was 80 GB and not to worry about it. Was she
    right?

    Thanks

    Alt.

    Alt-Ctrl-Del, Dec 7, 2005

  2. Alt-Ctrl-Del wrote:
    > That bastard got me. Or maybe not. That is what I have come to ask. I
    > bought and received a new Dell today and it was showcased for 256MB,
    > DDR-SDRAM @ 400MHz.
    >
    > Well, I have the 256MB, DDR, SDRAM, but not the 400MHz system memory speed.
    > In Setup the memory is listed as running at a system speed of 333 MHz. So I
    > call Dell and one of their reps tell me that 333MHz system speed for the
    > memory is actually exactly the same as 400MHZ, it is in reality the same
    > thing. Is this true?

    No.

    > Also, the system was billed and advertised as an 80 GB Hard-drive and all I
    > can find is one 71.4 GB NTFS partition which is C:, one 3.something GB
    > partition that is just regular FAT32, and another for 32MB, not GB, that is
    > just FAT.
    > So, all of them together still don't = 80 GB.
    >
    > The Dell rep. says that this is perfectly normal also and that I don't know
    > how to add and it is really an 80 GB hard-drive. Okay, she didn't say that
    > but she did say that it really was 80 GB and not to worry about it. Was she
    > right?

    Yes (probably).

    As for the memory, it's running speed is set by the processor, which may
    be running it at 333MHz. For the hard drive, drives are frequently
    advertised using the formula 1,000MBs = 1 GB. But in reality it's
    1,024MBs, so the true size of the drive is slightly smaller than the
    advertised size.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 7, 2005

  3. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    PC Guest

    "Alt-Ctrl-Del" <Alt-Ctrl-Del@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net> wrote in
    message news:eek:Fvlf.437$...
    > That bastard got me. Or maybe not. That is what I have come to ask. I
    > bought and received a new Dell today and it was showcased for 256MB,
    > DDR-SDRAM @ 400MHz.
    >
    > Well, I have the 256MB, DDR, SDRAM, but not the 400MHz system memory
    > speed. In Setup the memory is listed as running at a system speed of 333
    > MHz. So I call Dell and one of their reps tell me that 333MHz system speed
    > for the memory is actually exactly the same as 400MHZ, it is in reality
    > the same thing. Is this true?
    >
    > Also, the system was billed and advertised as an 80 GB Hard-drive and all
    > I can find is one 71.4 GB NTFS partition which is C:, one 3.something GB
    > partition that is just regular FAT32, and another for 32MB, not GB, that
    > is just FAT.
    > So, all of them together still don't = 80 GB.
    >
    > The Dell rep. says that this is perfectly normal also and that I don't
    > know how to add and it is really an 80 GB hard-drive. Okay, she didn't
    > say that but she did say that it really was 80 GB and not to worry about
    > it. Was she right?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Alt.

    Alt.

    400 does not equal 333 no mater how you cut the cake.
    However you may find the're using 'marketing speak' ie use the highest
    figure that is teniously connected.
    For example you may see a 800MHZ bus advertised, but the supplied memory is
    only 200MHZ memory because they use 'quad pumping' techniques to quadruple
    the base frequency of the memory. But it is still 800MHZ at some part of the
    process.

    The hard drive discreptancy is very common and relates to how you add up all
    the 'bytes' on a drive.
    Many irate people have posed the 'where's my missing space gone' question
    I would merely point you to this website for an explanation.
    http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/36-p1.php
    Essentially it's the same 'marketing speak' problem as with memory speeds.

    At the end of the day Dell is a 'Sales' company and they will cut the
    advertising to look as favourable as possible.
    Comparable with airlines that advertise a $99 fare then in the fine print
    add $201 in taxes, levies and surcharges.

    If you don't like it I believe Dell have a 'Return if not satisfied' policy.

    cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Dec 7, 2005
  4. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Alt-Ctrl-Del" wrote in message

    > Also, the system was billed and advertised as an 80 GB Hard-drive
    > and all I can find is one 71.4 GB NTFS partition which is C:, one
    > 3.something GB partition that is just regular FAT32, and another for
    > 32MB, not GB, that is just FAT.
    > So, all of them together still don't = 80 GB.

    The apparent discrepancy is due to hard disk drive manufacturers using
    decimal definitions, i.e. to manufacturers

    1KB = 10^3 = 1,000 bytes
    1MB = 10^6 = 1,000,000 bytes
    1GB = 10^9 = 1,000,000,000 bytes

    whereas computers use binary, i.e. to your computer

    1KB = 2^10 = 1,024 bytes
    1MB = 2^20 = 1,048,576 bytes
    1GB = 2^30 = 1,073,741,824 bytes

    So, for the manufacturer 80GB means 80,000,000,000 bytes. If you divide
    80,000,000,000 by 1,073,741,824 then you get 74.51Gig which matches the
    amount of space you say you have.

    Dave Lear, Dec 7, 2005
  5. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    Alt-Ctrl-Del Guest

    "Alt-Ctrl-Del" <Alt-Ctrl-Del@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net> wrote in
    message news:eek:Fvlf.437$...
    > That bastard got me. Or maybe not. That is what I have come to ask. I
    > bought and received a new Dell today and it was showcased for 256MB,
    > DDR-SDRAM @ 400MHz.
    >
    > Well, I have the 256MB, DDR, SDRAM, but not the 400MHz system memory
    > speed. In Setup the memory is listed as running at a system speed of 333
    > MHz. So I call Dell and one of their reps tell me that 333MHz system speed
    > for the memory is actually exactly the same as 400MHZ, it is in reality
    > the same thing. Is this true?
    >
    > Also, the system was billed and advertised as an 80 GB Hard-drive and all
    > I can find is one 71.4 GB NTFS partition which is C:, one 3.something GB
    > partition that is just regular FAT32, and another for 32MB, not GB, that
    > is just FAT.
    > So, all of them together still don't = 80 GB.
    >
    > The Dell rep. says that this is perfectly normal also and that I don't
    > know how to add and it is really an 80 GB hard-drive. Okay, she didn't
    > say that but she did say that it really was 80 GB and not to worry about
    > it. Was she right?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Alt.

    Roger, PC, Dave,

    Thanks for all the explanations. I liked all the mini-charts of speeds and
    sizes and things and saved them to use as reference.

    I am satisfied with the computer, I am happy with it. 333MHz-400MHz system
    memory speed, who the hell cares right. It is good enough. I kind of had an
    idea that the HD size was correct, but the lady I talked to on the phone
    didn't communicate real well and I just wanted to make sure. Nothing like
    talking/typing to people that understand what you are saying.

    Stick around for awhile, I will surely come up with some more completely
    boring questions that seem simple to many of you and stuns some of us
    without the right knowledge in the right places.

    Thanks again guys,
    Alt.

    Alt-Ctrl-Del, Dec 7, 2005
  6. Rôgêr wrote:

    > For the hard drive, drives are frequently advertised using the formula 1,000MBs = 1 GB. But in reality it's
    > 1,024MBs, so the true size of the drive is slightly smaller than the
    > advertised size.

    Also the advertised size is the UNFORMATTED size - you always lose a bit
    when the disk is formatted.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.10

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Dec 7, 2005
  7. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    Mitch Guest

    In article <oFvlf.437$>,
    Alt-Ctrl-Del <Alt-Ctrl-Del@________------------{{{{> wrote:

    > Well, I have the 256MB, DDR, SDRAM, but not the 400MHz system memory speed.
    > In Setup the memory is listed as running at a system speed of 333 MHz.

    There are a lot of things on the computer that have their own speeds.
    What you are talking about there seems to be two different things --
    one is the speed the memory is capable of. The other might be the
    system bus speed.
    You seem to be combining the terms here, so it's hard to say which is
    which.

    You would need to know the memory type if you want more.

    Mitch, Dec 7, 2005
  8. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    PC Guest

    "Alt-Ctrl-Del" <Alt-Ctrl-Del@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net> wrote in
    message news:NWwlf.459$...

    > "Alt-Ctrl-Del" <Alt-Ctrl-Del@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net> wrote in
    > message news:eek:Fvlf.437$...
    >> That bastard got me. Or maybe not. That is what I have come to ask. I
    >> bought and received a new Dell today and it was showcased for 256MB,
    >> DDR-SDRAM @ 400MHz.
    >>
    >> Well, I have the 256MB, DDR, SDRAM, but not the 400MHz system memory
    >> speed. In Setup the memory is listed as running at a system speed of 333
    >> MHz. So I call Dell and one of their reps tell me that 333MHz system
    >> speed for the memory is actually exactly the same as 400MHZ, it is in
    >> reality the same thing. Is this true?
    >>
    >> Also, the system was billed and advertised as an 80 GB Hard-drive and all
    >> I can find is one 71.4 GB NTFS partition which is C:, one 3.something GB
    >> partition that is just regular FAT32, and another for 32MB, not GB, that
    >> is just FAT.
    >> So, all of them together still don't = 80 GB.
    >>
    >> The Dell rep. says that this is perfectly normal also and that I don't
    >> know how to add and it is really an 80 GB hard-drive. Okay, she didn't
    >> say that but she did say that it really was 80 GB and not to worry about
    >> it. Was she right?
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Alt.
    >>

    > Roger, PC, Dave,
    >
    > Thanks for all the explanations. I liked all the mini-charts of speeds
    > and sizes and things and saved them to use as reference.
    >
    > I am satisfied with the computer, I am happy with it. 333MHz-400MHz
    > system memory speed, who the hell cares right. It is good enough. I kind
    > of had an idea that the HD size was correct, but the lady I talked to on
    > the phone didn't communicate real well and I just wanted to make sure.
    > Nothing like talking/typing to people that understand what you are saying.
    >
    > Stick around for awhile, I will surely come up with some more completely
    > boring questions that seem simple to many of you and stuns some of us
    > without the right knowledge in the right places.
    >
    > Thanks again guys,
    > Alt.

    Alt

    If I may suggest, try 'Googling' first if you feel the question may be
    'boring'
    If you can learn the 'what words to use' skill Google has an absolute gold
    mine of information.
    Google 'Groups' (under the type in box) will allow you to search previous
    questions posted to all the newsgroups.

    Best luck
    Paul.

    PC, Dec 7, 2005