screw the "director's intention"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Waterperson77, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. I'm not advocating the subject line of my post, but have used it since it is
    the subject of my message.

    People don't always get the director's intention out of a movie, when either a
    later director adds something new to a movie series or the same director does.

    And furthermore, for the exact same movie, sometimes the younger generation
    (generation x) gets something other than the director intended, simply because
    of when they were born (their life experiences) while the older genrations
    (baby boomers, etcetera) would get the director's intentions out of the same
    movie.

    Here's an example of the first. Disney's "The Little Mermaid" Director's
    intention: Innocent Ariel goes to the sea witch unknowingly knowing how evil
    the sea witch really is.

    Disney's prequel tv series to the movie reveals that Ariel knew how evil the
    sea witch before ever going to her again in the movie.

    upon rewatching the original, you now get the impression that Ariel isn't
    innocent but is a terrible brat because she went to the sea witch again, at
    least a second time, while knowing how evil the sea witch really is. (the
    complete opposite of the director's intent for the original movie).

    And of course, that's not the only example. There's several movies (including
    live action) that people could find like that from prequels and sequels.

    An example of the second is

    I (and many other people) can not listen to "The William Tell Overture" without
    thinking of "The Lone Ranger". (definitely not the composer's original
    intent".

    I myself (and maybe others) can not listen to Hayden's Surprise Symphony"
    without thinking of the opening and closing theme song of "The Banana Splits"
    (aka "The Tra La L:a Song"), (definitely not the composer's original
    intentions).

    Sure the last two examples are of classical music and not movies, but you get
    the point.

    Just because of the time period I grew up in, everytime I hear Hayden's
    Surprise Symphony, I can't help but think of "One Banana Two Banana, Three
    Banana, Four. Four Bananas make a bunch and so do many more".

    Waterperson77, Dec 16, 2003