    another 5 minutes and so it goes on. At first I thought maybe there was a
    virus, but I am always doing virus and spyware checks on a very regular
    basis and nothing shows up. Does this happen with anyone else? Is it normal?
    Pat, Apr 20, 2005

  2. Pat

    Morgan Pugh Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:23:48 +0100, "Pat" <>
    wrote:

    >When my PC (XP Home, SP 2) is left idle, my screensaver comes on after 10
    >minutes, which is what it is set to do. I usually leave it on OE when it is
    >idle. I noticed some time ago that every now and then the screensaver goes
    >off and OE is displayed again. Today, out of curiosity I kept an eye on it
    >and discovered that OE is displayed for 10 minutes then screensaver comes on
    >for 5 minutes then OE is back for another 10 minutes then screensaver for
    >another 5 minutes and so it goes on. At first I thought maybe there was a
    >virus, but I am always doing virus and spyware checks on a very regular
    >basis and nothing shows up. Does this happen with anyone else? Is it normal?

    I don't use OE so I can't tell you for sure but if it is consistent
    then perhaps it is OE automatically checking for new mail that is
    taking the computer out of idle state?
    Morgan Pugh, Apr 20, 2005

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    My message settings are set to check for new messages every 1 minute, so I
    don't think it can be that as screensaver stays on for 5 minutes, but thanks
    for the thought anyway.

    Pat, Apr 20, 2005
  4. Pat

    °Mike° Guest

    In <d46ljh$hag$>,
    Pat took 28 lines to utter:

    >My message settings are set to check for new messages every 1 minute,

    Holy shit! You want to hope that your ISP doesn't cotton on, which
    they well could do -- querying mail servers every minute is
    overdoing it a bit. You should set OE to check after ten minutes,
    or more.

    >so I don't think it can be that as screensaver stays on for 5 minutes,
    >but thanks for the thought anyway.

    It still could be OE that's causing this; you should close OE and
    try another alternative for checking your mail, like Magic Mail
    Monitor:
    http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.geeba.org/magic/

    Also, it's evident that you aren't using the screensaver for security
    purposes, ie. password protecting whilst away from the computer,
    you should turn OFF the screensaver; they are totally pointless with
    today's monitors.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 21, 2005
  5. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Have been using the internet for about 5 years now on my last PC and now
    this one. Check for new messages has always been set for one minute. Never
    had any problems YET.

    Pat, Apr 21, 2005
  6. Pat

    Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Have been using the internet for about 5 years now on my last PC and now
    > this one. Check for new messages has always been set for one minute. Never
    > had any problems YET.
    >

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > > In <d46ljh$hag$>,
    > > Pat took 28 lines to utter:
    > >
    > >>My message settings are set to check for new messages every 1 minute,

    > > Holy shit! You want to hope that your ISP doesn't cotton on, which
    > > they well could do -- querying mail servers every minute is
    > > overdoing it a bit. You should set OE to check after ten minutes,
    > > or more.
    > >
    > >>so I don't think it can be that as screensaver stays on for 5 minutes,
    > >>but thanks for the thought anyway.

    > > It still could be OE that's causing this; you should close OE and
    > > try another alternative for checking your mail, like Magic Mail
    > > Monitor:
    > > http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/
    > > http://www.geeba.org/magic/
    > >
    > > Also, it's evident that you aren't using the screensaver for security
    > > purposes, ie. password protecting whilst away from the computer,
    > > you should turn OFF the screensaver; they are totally pointless with
    > > today's monitors.

    ar yes but have they got a lcd or tft monitor??
    , Apr 21, 2005
  7. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "" <>
    wrote in message news:kDK9e.176$...

    > "Pat" <> wrote in message
    >> Have been using the internet for about 5 years now on my last PC and now
    >> this one. Check for new messages has always been set for one minute.
    >> Never
    >> had any problems YET.
    >>

    >> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> > In <d46ljh$hag$>,
    >> > Pat took 28 lines to utter:

    >> > Holy shit! You want to hope that your ISP doesn't cotton on, which
    >> > they well could do -- querying mail servers every minute is
    >> > overdoing it a bit. You should set OE to check after ten minutes,
    >> > or more.

    >> > It still could be OE that's causing this; you should close OE and
    >> > try another alternative for checking your mail, like Magic Mail
    >> > Monitor:
    >> > http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/
    >> > http://www.geeba.org/magic/
    >> >
    >> > Also, it's evident that you aren't using the screensaver for security
    >> > purposes, ie. password protecting whilst away from the computer,
    >> > you should turn OFF the screensaver; they are totally pointless with
    >> > today's monitors.

    > ar yes but have they got a lcd or tft monitor??

    I have lcd monitor.

    Pat, Apr 21, 2005