    wants to start.
    Help.
    Al Del Savio

    Al Del Savio, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Al Del Savio

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:01:43 GMT, "Al Del Savio"
    <> wrote:

    >Screensaver will not come on. I have XP and have had it for about a year.
    >This is first time for this problem. I do get an hour glass come up as if it
    >wants to start.
    > Help.
    >Al Del Savio

    What screensaver and why do you feel you need one.
    joevan

    joevan, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Al Del Savio

    Al Del Savio Guest

    I leave my computer on all day. I feel screensaver is beneficial. Computer
    will sleep after 15 minutes. Why do ask??
    Al

    Al Del Savio, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Al Del Savio

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:58:45 GMT, Al Del Savio wrote:

    >I leave my computer on all day. I feel screensaver is beneficial. Computer
    >will sleep after 15 minutes. Why do ask??
    > Al

    From http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/Monitor.htm :

    "Modern SVGA CRT monitors and LCD monitors do not require the use of a
    screensaver to prolong the life of the screen. A screensaver is only required
    for use with pre-VGA monitors that are no longer being made. This is because
    with those monitors the pixels can become stuck on one colour if the screen is
    left using it constantly for too long."

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2002/12/30/boot078.xml
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/screensaver2.htm

    --
    What we need are a couple of good hangings.
    -- FTC Chairman Orson Swindle, on email spam

    Mara, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Al Del Savio

    David Wood Guest

    In article <>,
    Mara <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:58:45 GMT, Al Del Savio wrote:
    >
    > >I leave my computer on all day. I feel screensaver is beneficial. Computer
    > >will sleep after 15 minutes. Why do ask??
    > > Al

    > From http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/Monitor.htm :
    >
    > "Modern SVGA CRT monitors and LCD monitors do not require the use of a
    > screensaver to prolong the life of the screen. A screensaver is only required
    > for use with pre-VGA monitors that are no longer being made. This is because
    > with those monitors the pixels can become stuck on one colour if the screen
    > is
    > left using it constantly for too long."

    I gotta say I couldn't disagree more with that statement, as I have
    personally seen MANY recent SVGA CRT monitors with burn in.

    David Wood, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Al Del Savio

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:14:37 GMT, David Wood wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Mara <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:58:45 GMT, Al Del Savio wrote:
    >>
    >> >I leave my computer on all day. I feel screensaver is beneficial. Computer
    >> >will sleep after 15 minutes. Why do ask??
    >> > Al

    >> From http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/Monitor.htm :
    >>
    >> "Modern SVGA CRT monitors and LCD monitors do not require the use of a
    >> screensaver to prolong the life of the screen. A screensaver is only required
    >> for use with pre-VGA monitors that are no longer being made. This is because
    >> with those monitors the pixels can become stuck on one colour if the screen
    >> is
    >> left using it constantly for too long."

    >I gotta say I couldn't disagree more with that statement, as I have
    >personally seen MANY recent SVGA CRT monitors with burn in.

    Personally it's not something I pay much attention to, one way or another, as I
    power down my systems when they're not actively in use.

    "Security first."

    Mara, Feb 20, 2004