    Do I really need a Screensaver on my monitor? How does it save the screen? I have my display properties screensaver set at 'none'. Should I select one? Advice please.
    Thanks
    mal
    malicet, Feb 12, 2004

  2. malicet

    Boomer Guest

    malicet wrote:
    > Do I really need a Screensaver on my monitor? How does it save the
    > screen? I have my display properties screensaver set at 'none'.
    > Should I select one? Advice please.

    USE A SCREENSAVER! USE A SCREENSAVER! The electronic rays in the back of the
    monitor will BURN an image on your screen and you'll only ever be able to
    use the one program - the one that is burnt into your screen!
    Boomer, Feb 12, 2004

  3. malicet

    Seijaku Guest

    That's not an entirely accurate response...

    The theory of a screen-saver is that it doesn't have a 'static' image. Yes,
    a constant image on a monitor will cause, over time, a burning of the
    screen, leaving an opaque image on the monitor *all* the time. There are
    various ways around this problem.

    1) Use a screen saver (Note: not *all* screen savers will eliminate this
    risk. The Microsoft 'Fishtank' (From the PlusPack) is pointless. Parts of
    the image are static (Non moving) and will burn the screen eventually.
    2) Turn your monitors off when you're not using them.
    3) Die of old age.

    In truth, it can take months for a screen to burn. My 'nix box has a static
    image of the network usage (Yes, the numbers change, but the grids and such
    never do), and it's been on constantly for 4 months. No burning, no bad
    effects.

    Use your head, if you think you need one, then use one. Otherwise, just turn
    your monitors off when you're not using it :)

    - Seijaku.

    Seijaku, Feb 12, 2004
  4. malicet

    Harrison Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 03:24:19 -0600, "malicet" <> wrote:

    >Do I really need a Screensaver on my monitor? How does it save the screen? I have my display properties screensaver set at 'none'. Should I select one? Advice please.
    >Thanks
    >mal

    Monochromatic CRT - yes
    VGA - no
    LCD - maybe (I use a blank)
    Plasma - definitely
    Harrison, Feb 12, 2004
  5. malicet

    tterry Guest

    All of the reading that I've done says that 'none' is just fine unless
    you have an xterm setup-monitor on 24X7 or nearly and to the same
    screen/background.

    tterry, Feb 12, 2004
  6. malicet

    Harrison Guest

    I listed four display types. To which are you referring?

    Harrison, Feb 12, 2004
  7. malicet

    tterry Guest

    The VGA

    tterry, Feb 12, 2004
  8. malicet

    Harrison Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:21:49 -0500, tterry <> wrote:

    >The VGA

    You mean the VGA where I wrote "VGA - no"?
    I see.

    Harrison, Feb 12, 2004
  9. malicet

    reid decker Guest

    Yes. If you don't have a screensaver, whatever is on your screen will
    sometimes burn the phosphors off the inside of your screen, leaving a
    pattern on your screen.
    reid decker, Feb 12, 2004
  10. malicet

    trout Guest

    Seijaku wrote:

    > That's not an entirely accurate response...

    Note: you are replying to a troll that is impersonating Boomer, in
    an attempt to make her appear ridiculous. When something sounds goofy;
    it may be worthwhile to check the headers for a Mail-to-News source like
    the 'Dizum' toilet, in order to avoid unknowingly abetting the work of a
    troll.
    --
    "Thought you might like to know."
    trout, Feb 13, 2004
  11. malicet

    Seijaku Guest

    Well, had I known before hand who Boomer was, and that somone was
    impersonating Boomer, I might've checked. But, since I didn't, I didn't
    check. :)

    - Seijaku

    Seijaku, Feb 13, 2004
  12. malicet

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:57:03 +0000 (UTC), "Seijaku" <> wrote:

    >Well, had I known before hand who Boomer was, and that somone was
    >impersonating Boomer, I might've checked. But, since I didn't, I didn't
    >check. :)
    >
    > - Seijaku

    Fact is, no one here has a reserved or copyrighted nickname. Anyone can use Boomer, Seijaku, or Harrison if they want.
    It is however a common courtesy to not use a nickname which is known to already be in use.
    Some people respect that and others do not.

    Harrison, Feb 13, 2004
  13. malicet

    trout Guest

    Harrison wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:57:03 +0000 (UTC), "Seijaku"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well, had I known before hand who Boomer was, and that somone was
    >> impersonating Boomer, I might've checked. But, since I didn't, I
    >> didn't
    >> check. :)
    >>
    >> - Seijaku

    > Fact is, no one here has a reserved or copyrighted nickname. Anyone
    > can use Boomer, Seijaku, or Harrison if they want. It is however a
    > common courtesy to not use a nickname which is known to already be in
    > use.
    > Some people respect that and others do not.

    More to the point is that it *is* impersonation. The use of the name
    and email munge (as opposed to real address, which would be forgery) to
    deliberately create the impression that the post was sent by another
    person.
    This is what makes it a troll; as opposed to inadvertant mistake, or
    just being 'rude' by insisting on using a name by which another poster
    has a posting history. It's a pointed attempt to smear the character of
    another.

    trout, Feb 13, 2004
  14. malicet

    trout Guest

    Seijaku wrote:

    > Well, had I known before hand who Boomer was, and that somone was
    > impersonating Boomer, I might've checked. But, since I didn't, I
    > didn't check. :)

    Not a criticism. Just making the point for future reference. Never
    hurts to know what's going on in a newsgroup to which you are posting.

    trout, Feb 13, 2004