Screen went black and machine won't restart

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Adam Steiner, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    Hey,

    I have a P4 2.40C (Intel 865PERL mobo). I was in middle of doing some
    stuff and the monitor just went black. Tried restarting the machine but it
    wouldn't go anywhere, all that happend was the fans went on (2 case, 1 CPU,
    and PWS), the LED's on the board lit up and the LED indicating hard drive
    activity was blinking. Disconnected the drive, tried again, same thing (HD
    LED on). No beeps, no nothing.

    I'm thinking perhaps the CPU just went ahead and died, but I've never had
    something like this happen to me before, so I figured I'd ask for some
    input.

    Ideas?

    Thanks.

    Adam

    Adam Steiner, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Adam Steiner

    Thor Guest

    "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    >
    > I have a P4 2.40C (Intel 865PERL mobo). I was in middle of doing some
    > stuff and the monitor just went black. Tried restarting the machine but

    it
    > wouldn't go anywhere, all that happend was the fans went on (2 case, 1

    CPU,
    > and PWS), the LED's on the board lit up and the LED indicating hard drive
    > activity was blinking. Disconnected the drive, tried again, same thing

    (HD
    > LED on). No beeps, no nothing.
    >
    > I'm thinking perhaps the CPU just went ahead and died, but I've never had
    > something like this happen to me before, so I figured I'd ask for some
    > input.

    Well, the CPU is typically one of the most reliable parts in the system, so
    that wouldn't be my first suspect. Consider RAM, video, power supply, and
    motherboard. all of those have a track record of failing far more often than
    CPUs, unless the CPU overheated. And that's not likely with a P4.

    Thor, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in message
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > I have a P4 2.40C (Intel 865PERL mobo). I was in middle of doing some
    > > stuff and the monitor just went black. Tried restarting the machine but

    > it
    > > wouldn't go anywhere, all that happend was the fans went on (2 case, 1

    > CPU,
    > > and PWS), the LED's on the board lit up and the LED indicating hard

    drive
    > > activity was blinking. Disconnected the drive, tried again, same thing

    > (HD
    > > LED on). No beeps, no nothing.
    > >
    > > I'm thinking perhaps the CPU just went ahead and died, but I've never

    had
    > > something like this happen to me before, so I figured I'd ask for some
    > > input.

    > Well, the CPU is typically one of the most reliable parts in the system,

    so
    > that wouldn't be my first suspect. Consider RAM, video, power supply, and
    > motherboard. all of those have a track record of failing far more often

    than
    > CPUs, unless the CPU overheated. And that's not likely with a P4.

    Aside from swapping each of the parts in (I've already tested the RAM), do
    you have any recommendations on how to go about doing it? Or it's just
    trial and error.

    Adam Steiner, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Adam Steiner

    Levi Kudrna Guest

    I am guessing your monitor may have gone out on you. Check that first
    before anything inside your pc case.

    LK

    Levi Kudrna, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Adam Steiner

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hey,
    > > >
    > > > I have a P4 2.40C (Intel 865PERL mobo). I was in middle of doing

    some
    > > > stuff and the monitor just went black. Tried restarting the machine

    but
    > > it
    > > > wouldn't go anywhere, all that happend was the fans went on (2 case, 1

    > > CPU,
    > > > and PWS), the LED's on the board lit up and the LED indicating hard

    > drive
    > > > activity was blinking. Disconnected the drive, tried again, same

    thing
    > > (HD
    > > > LED on). No beeps, no nothing.
    > > >
    > > > I'm thinking perhaps the CPU just went ahead and died, but I've never

    > had
    > > > something like this happen to me before, so I figured I'd ask for some
    > > > input.

    > > Well, the CPU is typically one of the most reliable parts in the system,

    > so
    > > that wouldn't be my first suspect. Consider RAM, video, power supply,

    and
    > > motherboard. all of those have a track record of failing far more often

    > than
    > > CPUs, unless the CPU overheated. And that's not likely with a P4.

    > Aside from swapping each of the parts in (I've already tested the RAM), do
    > you have any recommendations on how to go about doing it? Or it's just
    > trial and error.

    if you haven't already, pull everything out, and reseat everything in their
    respective slots connections, etc. If no go, disconnect all drives, and
    non-essential cards, and start with just video, CPU, RAM plugged into the
    board. Disconnect all drive cables, and also their power cables as well. Try
    starting with just the bare basics. If that doesn't produce results, proceed
    to video. Try another video card if you have one. Rule that out, and move on
    to PSU, testing the outputs for the proper voltage at the motherboard
    connector. Also try powering up *briefly* without the fan(s) plugged in. A
    burned-out fan can even cause weird problems. Make sure the motherboard BIOS
    chip is plugged firmly into it's socket. If you get down to the motherboard
    as the possible issue, pull the board out, and try connecting the cables,
    and powering it up outside the case (on a suitable non-conductive surface of
    course). Although the board is of pretty recent manufacture, you should also
    eyeball those capacitors we have been going on about lately. Look for bulged
    tops (even slightly), or leaks around the top or bottom. I've heard that
    even some fairly recent P4 boards have been hit by the problem, and the
    symptoms do fit.

    Thor, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in message
    > > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in message

    > some

    > but
    > > > it

    1
    > > > CPU,

    > > drive

    > thing
    > > > (HD

    never
    > > had

    some

    > > > Well, the CPU is typically one of the most reliable parts in the

    system,
    > > so
    > > > that wouldn't be my first suspect. Consider RAM, video, power supply,

    > and
    > > > motherboard. all of those have a track record of failing far more

    often
    > > than
    > > > CPUs, unless the CPU overheated. And that's not likely with a P4.

    > > Aside from swapping each of the parts in (I've already tested the RAM),

    do
    > > you have any recommendations on how to go about doing it? Or it's just
    > > trial and error.

    > if you haven't already, pull everything out, and reseat everything in

    their
    > respective slots connections, etc. If no go, disconnect all drives, and
    > non-essential cards, and start with just video, CPU, RAM plugged into the
    > board. Disconnect all drive cables, and also their power cables as well.

    Try
    > starting with just the bare basics. If that doesn't produce results,

    proceed
    > to video. Try another video card if you have one. Rule that out, and move

    on
    > to PSU, testing the outputs for the proper voltage at the motherboard
    > connector. Also try powering up *briefly* without the fan(s) plugged in. A
    > burned-out fan can even cause weird problems. Make sure the motherboard

    BIOS
    > chip is plugged firmly into it's socket. If you get down to the

    motherboard
    > as the possible issue, pull the board out, and try connecting the cables,
    > and powering it up outside the case (on a suitable non-conductive surface

    of
    > course). Although the board is of pretty recent manufacture, you should

    also
    > eyeball those capacitors we have been going on about lately. Look for

    bulged
    > tops (even slightly), or leaks around the top or bottom. I've heard that
    > even some fairly recent P4 boards have been hit by the problem, and the
    > symptoms do fit.

    I just tested everything out. I took the power supply, CPU, etc and plugged
    them into a different machine, worked perfectly fine. Everything's been
    reseated and tested. I'm going to bet it's the motherboard...good thing for
    warranties ;-)

    Thanks.

    Adam Steiner, Dec 3, 2003