    Non-Mortal American casualties 44,779.
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.

    As of October 23, 2006 it has been 1269 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished."
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 24, 2006

  2. GrandpaChuck

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 02:47:11 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    wrote:

    >My screensaver on my laptop will not come on by itself even though I
    >have it set to come on after only two minutes. I have to click on
    >preview before walking away. So far as I have been able to determine
    >there is nothing running in the background that is not also running on
    >the desktop p.c. and the screensaver on that works fine.
    >
    >Suggestions please.

    Suggestions?

    Provide details.

    What operating system.

    What screensave.

    Fill in the rest.
    Evan Platt, Oct 24, 2006

  3. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:21:17 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 02:47:11 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>My screensaver on my laptop will not come on by itself even though I
    >>have it set to come on after only two minutes. I have to click on
    >>preview before walking away. So far as I have been able to determine
    >>there is nothing running in the background that is not also running on
    >>the desktop p.c. and the screensaver on that works fine.
    >>
    >>Suggestions please.

    >Suggestions?
    >
    >Provide details.

    Sorry about that.

    >What operating system.

    Windows XP Professional

    >What screensave.

    Right now I have Aquarium, but the story is the same with any of them.

    >Fill in the rest.

    HP Pavilion less than a year old with a 17" wide screen display.

    Weatherbug runs on both computers continuously, but it always has on
    any of the computers we have had over the last ten years or so and has
    never interfered with any screensaver selected.

    I hope this gives you enough information. If there is something else
    you might want just ask. I should know by now that operating system
    should be listed in my original post and memory, hd, etc. if they are
    pertinent to the question being asked.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Oct 24, 2006
  4. GrandpaChuck

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 04:27:21 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry about that.
    >

    >>What operating system.

    >Windows XP Professional
    >

    >>What screensave.

    >Right now I have Aquarium, but the story is the same with any of them.

    Ok, so I'm guessing you're talking about the standard XP screensavers,
    not a add on?

    IIRC, they won't go on if there's any hard drive activity. So
    basically, if you have a anti-virus running or any other program, they
    won't run.

    I'd reccomend another screen saver - almost anything. From
    download.com .
    Evan Platt, Oct 24, 2006
  5. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:48:06 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 04:27:21 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry about that.
    >>

    >>>What operating system.

    >>Windows XP Professional
    >>

    >>>What screensave.

    >>Right now I have Aquarium, but the story is the same with any of them.

    >Ok, so I'm guessing you're talking about the standard XP screensavers,
    >not a add on?

    Yes, it is one that came already on the computer.

    >IIRC, they won't go on if there's any hard drive activity. So
    >basically, if you have a anti-virus running or any other program, they
    >won't run.

    Any of those that is running on this computer is also running on our
    desktop computer.

    >I'd reccomend another screen saver - almost anything. From
    >download.com .

    I will take a look and see if they have one that I like as well as
    this one.

    Thank you for your advise.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Oct 24, 2006
  6. GrandpaChuck

    lee houston Guest

    "GrandpaChuck" <> wrote in message
    > My screensaver on my laptop will not come on by itself even though I
    > have it set to come on after only two minutes. I have to click on
    > preview before walking away. So far as I have been able to determine
    > there is nothing running in the background that is not also running on
    > the desktop p.c. and the screensaver on that works fine.

    Screensavers do not save screens or displays, they just exercise
    them in a 'cute' way. Why not set your display to turn off or
    sleep after N minutes of inactivity? save AC or battery power.

    right click Display properties >> Screen Saver>>Monitor Power>>
    and enter two minutes or whatever.

    lee
    lee houston, Oct 24, 2006
  7. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:57:49 GMT, "lee houston"
    <> wrote:

    >"GrandpaChuck" <> wrote in message
    >> My screensaver on my laptop will not come on by itself even though I
    >> have it set to come on after only two minutes. I have to click on
    >> preview before walking away. So far as I have been able to determine
    >> there is nothing running in the background that is not also running on
    >> the desktop p.c. and the screensaver on that works fine.

    >Screensavers do not save screens or displays, they just exercise
    >them in a 'cute' way. Why not set your display to turn off or
    >sleep after N minutes of inactivity? save AC or battery power.
    >
    >right click Display properties >> Screen Saver>>Monitor Power>>
    >and enter two minutes or whatever.
    >
    >lee

    Actually Lee I had it doing that after ten minutes, but I was too
    impatient for it to come back to life when I moved the mouse the next
    time. I know it sounds silly. A lot of the time I will put this laptop
    in "Hibernate" and that works pretty fast when I enter a keystroke or
    click on the mouse.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    Non-Mortal American casualties 44,779.
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.

    As of October 24, 2006 it has been 1270 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished."
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 24, 2006
  8. GrandpaChuck

    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 04:27:21 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry about that.
    >>

    >>>What operating system.

    >>Windows XP Professional
    >>

    >>>What screensave.

    >>Right now I have Aquarium, but the story is the same with any of them.

    >Ok, so I'm guessing you're talking about the standard XP screensavers,
    >not a add on?
    >
    >IIRC, they won't go on if there's any hard drive activity. So
    >basically, if you have a anti-virus running or any other program, they
    >won't run.
    >
    >I'd reccomend another screen saver - almost anything. From
    >download.com .

    Really cool and pretty screen savers. However, they do not come on
    unless I click on "Preview" before being away from the computer for
    awhile. In other words, they don't work any better. Thanks for the
    idea about downloading more of them from download.com though.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Oct 24, 2006
  9. GrandpaChuck

    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 04:27:21 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry about that.
    >>

    >>>What operating system.

    >>Windows XP Professional
    >>

    >>>What screensave.

    >>Right now I have Aquarium, but the story is the same with any of them.

    >Ok, so I'm guessing you're talking about the standard XP screensavers,
    >not a add on?
    >
    >IIRC, they won't go on if there's any hard drive activity. So
    >basically, if you have a anti-virus running or any other program, they
    >won't run.
    >
    >I'd reccomend another screen saver - almost anything. From
    >download.com .

    Any other suggestions Evan?
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Oct 25, 2006
  10. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Ping Evan Re: Screen saver doesn't work automatically on laptop

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    Non-Mortal American casualties 44,779.
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.

    As of October 25, 2006 it has been 1271 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished."
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 26, 2006
  11. GrandpaChuck

    Evan Platt Guest

    Re: Ping Evan Re: Screen saver doesn't work automatically on laptop

    On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:13:00 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    wrote:

    >>Any other suggestions Evan?

    And what's wrong with any of the screensavers from download.com ?
    Evan Platt, Oct 26, 2006
  12. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Re: Ping Evan Re: Screen saver doesn't work automatically on laptop

    On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:24:25 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:13:00 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>>Any other suggestions Evan?

    >And what's wrong with any of the screensavers from download.com ?

    Sorry. I thought you had seen my follow up post after I installed
    them.

    I like them. Only thing is just like all the others I have tried the
    computer will not turn them on. I have to click on "Preview" in order
    to execute them. Even after doing that sometimes the screensaver has
    shut off when I come back to the computer an hour later.

    Some nights I put this in "Standby" mode if I don't have a utility to
    run during the night when I go to bed. About once a week I shut both
    computers down for the night when going to bed.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Oct 26, 2006
  13. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:13:00 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>>Any other suggestions Evan?

    >And what's wrong with any of the screensavers from download.com ?

    BTW, I should have mentioned that I the computer set to shut itself
    down after one hour if there is not activity. It never does that.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    Non-Mortal American casualties 44,779.
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.

    As of October 26, 2006 it has been 1272 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished."
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 27, 2006