screen resolution stuck at 640x480

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trax, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Trax

    Trax Guest

    Re: chuckle--download from HP is always easier said than done.... ;)

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 13:50:29 -0500, "gerry" <> wrote:

    |>If I were in charge of website support for HP/Compaq, there would be a lot
    |>of people looking for work--it is easily the worst site in the world to
    |>navigate with endless dead ends and runarounds...

    I had a problem with a HP CD one time and wanted to send an email to them.

    No where on the site could I find an address. Every link of interest took me to
    a phone number to call at $$$$ a min.

    I finally found the address but it wasn't without alot of time and effort.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life

    Trax, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Trax

    American Pi Guest

    Running WinXP Pro on HP Pavillion 522n system and HP Pavillion MX70
    monitor, screen in Display Properties/Settings (after right-clicking on
    desktop) only permits selection of 640x480. The slide indicator on the
    right side of the tab page will not move, and under "Color Quality" pull-
    down menu there is only one choice (640x480).

    However, if I select Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Adapter/List
    All Modes, I am offered six choices ranging from 640x480 (16 colors) to
    1024x728 (256 colors).

    Any recommendations on how to fix the slide indicator and pull-down menu
    on the main Settings tab page would be much appreciated.

    Thanks.

    American Pi, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Trax

    American Pi Guest

    One thing I should have mentioned is that I recently completed a
    succesful reinstall of WinXP Pro, due to unrelated problems. I had hoped
    that the screen resolution problem would be fixed by the reinstall, but
    it wasn't. There were no other supplied CD than WinXP itself.

    "Gareth Slee" <> wrote in news:bt9ldn$4k3ac$1@ID-
    162923.news.uni-berlin.de suggested:

    American Pi, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Trax

    American Pi Guest

    "gerry" <> wrote in news:bt9lh1$2f4m$:

    > This is generally an issue if the driver was switched or corrupted.
    >
    > Reinstall the (latest) video driver.

    Any thoughts on where I could download the driver? How do I know what
    driver I would need?

    Thanks.

    American Pi, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Trax

    Gareth Slee Guest

    Gareth Slee, Jan 4, 2004
  6. Trax

    gerry Guest

    gerry, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Trax

    Harrison Guest

    Download the XP video drivers from hp.com.

    Harrison, Jan 4, 2004
  8. > > This is generally an issue if the driver was switched

    www.HP.com would be a good start... http://tinyurl.com/y6j0

    Michael J. Apollyon, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Trax

    Support Joe Guest

    Support Joe, Jan 4, 2004
  10. Trax

    gerry Guest

    I took the liberty of going to the HP site and as usual they make it
    extrememly difficult to find anything on that thing--most efforts yield a
    "there are no updates in your language result" but seeing as how Intel has
    updated it's own drivers as of early december for this chipset, it seemed
    unlikely. With additional clicking, I came up with the following--All mid
    December releases.

    You have an ASUS P4G-LA motherboard with integrated intel grpahics in that
    thing.

    http://tinyurl.com/y6j0

    I would download everything and burn it to a CD.

    Also, before you start....Right click on MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, go
    to the HARDWARE tab, click the DEVICE MANAGER button, and then right click
    and uninstall the DISPLAY ADAPTER you find here (you may also find some
    other devices with yellow exclamation marks that should be deleted.

    Then run the video adapter driver setup routine.

    gerry, Jan 4, 2004
  12. Trax

    American Pi Guest

    "gerry" <> wrote in news:bt9n25$2kf9$:

    > I took the liberty of going to the HP site and as usual they make it
    > extrememly difficult to find anything on that thing--most efforts
    > yield a "there are no updates in your language result" but seeing as
    > how Intel has updated it's own drivers as of early december for this
    > chipset, it seemed unlikely. With additional clicking, I came up with
    > the following--All mid December releases.
    >
    > You have an ASUS P4G-LA motherboard with integrated intel grpahics in
    > that thing.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/y6j0
    >
    > I would download everything and burn it to a CD.

    Gerry,

    Sounds like you may have found what I need, but I don't see it on the
    page. Can you point me a little more specifically? Comments about the HP
    website being difficult to navigate are correct.

    Thanks.

    American Pi, Jan 4, 2004
  13. Trax

    gerry Guest

    » Intel Extreme Graphics driver update
    2003-12-18 6.14.10.3722 - 7.47 MB

    gerry, Jan 4, 2004
  14. Trax

    American Pi Guest

    "gerry" <> wrote in news:bt9o1e$2ohu$:

    > » Intel Extreme Graphics driver update
    > 2003-12-18 6.14.10.3722 - 7.47 MB

    Gerry,

    I ran the above file, as well as archiving the entire page as you
    suggested for possible future use. After the file unpacks itself, the
    system rebooted. Plug & Play Wizard then found two "new" devices: the
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible) and SM Bus Controller. However, when I
    followed the ensuing directions, they concluded, "Cannot install this
    hardware" for both items, and redirected me to the HP Help & Support
    Center which, as been noted, is neither helpful nor supportive.

    Now what?

    Thanks for your time on this.

    American Pi, Jan 4, 2004
  15. Trax

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:10:10 GMT, American Pi <> wrote:

    >Running WinXP Pro on HP Pavillion 522n system and HP Pavillion MX70
    >monitor, screen in Display Properties/Settings (after right-clicking on
    >desktop) only permits selection of 640x480. The slide indicator on the
    >right side of the tab page will not move, and under "Color Quality" pull-
    >down menu there is only one choice (640x480).
    >
    >However, if I select Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Adapter/List
    >All Modes, I am offered six choices ranging from 640x480 (16 colors) to
    >1024x728 (256 colors).
    >
    >Any recommendations on how to fix the slide indicator and pull-down menu
    >on the main Settings tab page would be much appreciated.

    Install the right driver for your video system.

    >Thanks.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Jan 5, 2004
  16. Trax

    gerry Guest

    I think I am going to lose track of this conversation in here....tell you
    what, contact me at my email, which I stupidly included in my post, but for
    those spam robots that haven't picked it up yet

    gerryfREMOVETHIS@comcast .net (remove the capital letters)

    Before you do, download this program AIDA32

    http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
    or
    http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

    and copy and paste the motherboard and display adapter information. Let's
    make certain that you have what the manual says you have--I have run into
    several instances where large manufacturers switched the specs on machines.

    The download you have does two things--it updates the videobios and the
    videodriver. Let's make sure they are the correct ones, as the wrong BIOS
    will cuase you no end of grief.

    As it is, it appears the windows in unable to identify your video chipset so
    it installed the default VGA drivers. This is a less common probelm then it
    used to be, but happens occassionally. It may be the videobios is intended
    to fix a bug so windows can identify it, but I'll have to look it up.

    ps...I will be on the road for most of the day, so if I don't get back to
    you until tomorrow, don't panic.

    gerry, Jan 5, 2004