    Jim
    Tyneside UK
    http://www.jimscot.plus.com

    Jim Scott, Jun 1, 2006

  2. Jim Scott

    Ron Martell Guest

    Jim Scott <> wrote:

    >I have been given a flat screen monitor 27cm x 34cm.
    >
    >My 'old' standard one is 24cm x 32cm.
    >
    >Because the ratio is different my pictures are slightly elongated. Is there
    >anything I can do about it?

    What is the make and model of the new monitor?

    What is the resolution setting that you are currently using? Check
    this in Control Panel - Display - Settings.

    Most computer monitors use a 4:3 aspect ratio, such as 640 x 480, 800
    x 600 or 1024 x 768. Newer wide aspect LCD flat panels use a 16:9 or
    16:10 aspect ration and may require a new video card with this
    capability in order to display correctly.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Jun 1, 2006

  3. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 19:01:34 GMT, Ron Martell wrote:

    > Jim Scott <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have been given a flat screen monitor 27cm x 34cm.
    >>
    >>My 'old' standard one is 24cm x 32cm.
    >>
    >>Because the ratio is different my pictures are slightly elongated. Is there
    >>anything I can do about it?

    > What is the make and model of the new monitor?
    >
    > What is the resolution setting that you are currently using? Check
    > this in Control Panel - Display - Settings.
    >
    > Most computer monitors use a 4:3 aspect ratio, such as 640 x 480, 800
    > x 600 or 1024 x 768. Newer wide aspect LCD flat panels use a 16:9 or
    > 16:10 aspect ration and may require a new video card with this
    > capability in order to display correctly.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    AOC

    1024x768
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK

    Jim Scott, Jun 1, 2006
  4. Jim Scott

    Alan Guest

    Jim Scott wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 19:01:34 GMT, Ron Martell wrote:
    >
    >> Jim Scott <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have been given a flat screen monitor 27cm x 34cm.
    >>>
    >>> My 'old' standard one is 24cm x 32cm.
    >>>
    >>> Because the ratio is different my pictures are slightly elongated. Is there
    >>> anything I can do about it?

    >> What is the make and model of the new monitor?
    >>
    >> What is the resolution setting that you are currently using? Check
    >> this in Control Panel - Display - Settings.
    >>
    >> Most computer monitors use a 4:3 aspect ratio, such as 640 x 480, 800
    >> x 600 or 1024 x 768. Newer wide aspect LCD flat panels use a 16:9 or
    >> 16:10 aspect ration and may require a new video card with this
    >> capability in order to display correctly.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    > AOC
    >
    > 1024x768

    AOC What? Is it shaped like an "old" television - or a movie screen?

    Alan, Jun 3, 2006
  5. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 20:08:30 -0400, Alan wrote:

    > Jim Scott wrote:

    >>> What is the make and model of the new monitor?
    >>>
    >>> What is the resolution setting that you are currently using? Check
    >>> this in Control Panel - Display - Settings.
    >>>
    >>> Most computer monitors use a 4:3 aspect ratio, such as 640 x 480, 800
    >>> x 600 or 1024 x 768. Newer wide aspect LCD flat panels use a 16:9 or
    >>> 16:10 aspect ration and may require a new video card with this
    >>> capability in order to display correctly.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck
    >>>
    >>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    >> AOC
    >>
    >> 1024x768

    > AOC What? Is it shaped like an "old" television - or a movie screen?

    AW I don't know. It's my brother who is not here.
    He now tells me that if he goes to a higher resolution all is well, but the
    pictures are small.
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK

    Jim Scott, Jun 3, 2006
  6. Jim Scott

    old man Guest

    Some new displays are designed to work in a specific / minimum resolution
    and as such they wont display correctly in a lower resolution.
    Your bro. need to state what resolution he is using (Dispaly Properties) -
    perhaps he needs specs.?

    old man, Jun 3, 2006
  7. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 08:36:44 GMT, old man wrote:

    > Some new displays are designed to work in a specific / minimum resolution
    > and as such they wont display correctly in a lower resolution.
    > Your bro. need to state what resolution he is using (Dispaly Properties) -
    > perhaps he needs specs.?

    I'd probably be better off teaching him to use newsgroups, but then he's
    younger than me (61)
    :eek:)
    --
    Jim