    can you give me some help on the matter.
    Thank you in advance,
    Mary Anne

    mary caudill, Aug 27, 2008

  2. mary caudill

    Paul Guest

    mary caudill wrote:
    > I have an acer Aspire 5050 laptop. I am currently having problems with
    > my screen. On occasion (about 4-5 times a day), my screen becomes a
    > big mess of blinking white lines. I can fix it by simply adjusting
    > the power cord where it plugs into the computer. It never really last
    > that long, but I'm have a feeling of impending doom, like maybe
    > someday I won't be able to fix it. Has anyone ever heard of this and
    > can you give me some help on the matter.
    > Thank you in advance,
    > Mary Anne

    According to this, the graphics are provided by an ATI chipset Xpress 1100.
    So this isn't an Nvidia problem at least.

    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3609

    I don't know why moving the power cord, would affect the ability of the
    computer to render the screen. If the power feed to the laptop died, it
    should be running from battery. And when the battery dies, it should
    attempt to shut down.

    That means the lines could be symptomatic of a bad connection inside
    the computer, and perhaps any twisting motion on the case of the
    laptop, restores the connection.

    I would consider backing up all my files, to an external hard drive,
    and then sending the thing for warranty work. Make sure you
    completely describe the symptoms. It helps, if you can provide
    the warranty staff, with a method of reproducing the problem.
    Otherwise, those lazy guys will send it back, claiming "No Fault Found"
    or NFF. They like problems to smack them in the face, and they don't like
    to have to search too long for problems.

    The reason for doing a full backup, to an external hard drive, is the
    warranty center likes to reformat the hard drive. Even if you place
    a sticker on the unit saying "please don't erase my files", they
    will anyway :) Never never trust your valuable data, to repair
    people. They have a strange sense of humor.

    Don't let the warranty expire, before seeking a repair.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 27, 2008