Screen goes black briefly at startup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim Berwick, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. Jim Berwick

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "James Doyle" <> wrote in news:p50Fc.175$JG6.25
    @newsfe4-gui:

    > screen goes black briefly. The desktop thenn appears as normal. I have no
    > idea as to what is causing this, but I am concerned that it could be
    > something more sinister.

    Mine does this because of my nVidia drivers.
    Jim Berwick, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Jim Berwick

    James Doyle Guest

    Hi,

    I dont know if anyone can help with this but it seems a bit odd. Basically
    when I start windows the desktop will appear for about a second, before the
    screen goes black briefly. The desktop thenn appears as normal. I have no
    idea as to what is causing this, but I am concerned that it could be
    something more sinister.

    Does anyone know what might be causing it and what I can do to stop it?

    My system details are as follows.

    Gigabyte GA-7N400-L motherboard
    796mb DDR400 PC3200 ram
    Athlon XP 3200+
    Leadtek A360td GeForce 5700
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    Screen res 1280-1024 @ 60hz

    If I have missed anything out let me know.

    Thanks
    James Doyle, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Jim Berwick

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    >| "James Doyle" <> wrote in news:p50Fc.175$JG6.25
    >| @newsfe4-gui:
    >|
    >| > screen goes black briefly. The desktop thenn appears as normal. I
    >| > have no idea as to what is causing this, but I am concerned that
    >| > it could be something more sinister.
    >|
    >| Mine does this because of my nVidia drivers.

    Exactly the same with my home PC with the nVidia. The system at work has a
    different video system, and I don't have that happen.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2004
  4. Jim Berwick

    Ira Levant Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    >>| "James Doyle" <> wrote in
    >>| news:p50Fc.175$JG6.25 @newsfe4-gui:

    >>| Mine does this because of my nVidia drivers.

    > Exactly the same with my home PC with the nVidia. The system at
    > work has a different video system, and I don't have that happen.

    Me three. Same scenario with nVidia card.
    Ira Levant, Jul 2, 2004
  5. Jim Berwick

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ira Levant" <> wrote in message
    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >|
    >| > "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    >| >>|
    >| >>|

    >| > Exactly the same with my home PC with the nVidia. The system at
    >| > work has a different video system, and I don't have that happen.
    >| >

    >| Me three. Same scenario with nVidia card.

    Yeah - maybe if James ever checks back in, we can ask him what video card he
    has <g>

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2004
  6. Jim Berwick

    ICee Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    >>> "James Doyle" <> wrote in news:p50Fc.175$JG6.25
    >>> @newsfe4-gui:

    >>> Mine does this because of my nVidia drivers.

    > Exactly the same with my home PC with the nVidia. The system at work
    > has a different video system, and I don't have that happen.

    It must be something fundamental to the OS, since mine does it also, and
    I have an ATI video card.
    ICee, Jul 2, 2004
  7. ICee wrote:

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message

    >> Exactly the same with my home PC with the nVidia. The system at work
    >> has a different video system, and I don't have that happen.

    > It must be something fundamental to the OS, since mine does it also, and
    > I have an ATI video card.

    I'd guess offhand that the first flash is the video card operating in
    vanilla VGA 640x480 mode; then when the video driver loads and starts, it
    blanks the screen, does its Thing and gives you the display back at the
    resolution you've set it to.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 2, 2004
  8. Jim Berwick

    ICee Guest

    Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    > ICee wrote:
    >
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>> "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message

    >>> Exactly the same with my home PC with the nVidia. The system at work
    >>> has a different video system, and I don't have that happen.

    >> It must be something fundamental to the OS, since mine does it also,
    >> and I have an ATI video card.

    > I'd guess offhand that the first flash is the video card operating in
    > vanilla VGA 640x480 mode; then when the video driver loads and
    > starts, it blanks the screen, does its Thing and gives you the
    > display back at the resolution you've set it to.

    That makes sense. I'm sure that's exactly what happens. Certainly
    nothing to be concerned about.
    ICee, Jul 2, 2004