Screen flickering caused by virus?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by HC, Nov 9, 2005.

  1. HC

    HC Guest

    Recently, I cleverly downloaded the W32.Alcra.B virus from Limewire. Ever
    since I've had it, my monitor has been flickering. This usually happens
    when I start a program or do something that's processor-intensive. One or
    both of my monitors will turn black for up to two seconds, then turn back to
    normal.

    I've scanned my system with both Norton Antivirus and AVG which now report
    nothing. I also can't find any reference to W32.Alcra.B causing flickering,
    so am wondering if this is a weird coincidence.

    The flickering does not happen in Safe Mode.

    I do not suspect a heating problem as neither my video card nor processor is
    overly warm.

    I'm running Windows 2000. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really
    appreciate them.

    HC

    HC, Nov 9, 2005

  2. HC

    Kenny Guest

    First thing I'd try is re-installing the video card drivers.
    Also run dxdiag and see if anything abnormal shows there.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Nov 9, 2005

  3. HC

    HC Guest

    Hey Kenny, thanks for your response.

    > First thing I'd try is re-installing the video card drivers.

    No luck unfortunately.

    > Also run dxdiag and see if anything abnormal shows there.

    Yes, it does. I tried "Test Direct3D" which made the display go absolutely
    MENTAL. Here's a screenshot:
    http://www.hans.org/temp/mangosproblem.gif

    I've discovered that the problem is greatly reduced if I turn off hardware
    acceleration. But, it's got to be off completely - even Basic Acceleration
    won't do.

    Thanks again,
    HC

    HC, Nov 10, 2005
  4. HC

    The Prophecy Guest

    HC wrote:
    > Hey Kenny, thanks for your response.
    >
    >> First thing I'd try is re-installing the video card drivers.

    > No luck unfortunately.
    >
    >> Also run dxdiag and see if anything abnormal shows there.

    > Yes, it does. I tried "Test Direct3D" which made the display go
    > absolutely MENTAL. Here's a screenshot:
    > http://www.hans.org/temp/mangosproblem.gif
    >
    > I've discovered that the problem is greatly reduced if I turn off
    > hardware acceleration. But, it's got to be off completely - even
    > Basic Acceleration won't do.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > HC

    How about clearing the BIOS settings? I have noticed on some systems that
    there is an Optimal Performance setting in the BIOS, which when enabled can
    cause display issues. I know this isn't likely the cause, but i thought i
    would throw the idea on the table.

    --
    Windows XP -
    A 64 bit upgrade to a 32-bit patch for a 16-bit GUI shell running on

    The Prophecy, Nov 10, 2005
  5. HC

    ellis_jay Guest

    HC wrote:
    > Recently, I cleverly downloaded the W32.Alcra.B virus from Limewire.
    > Ever since I've had it,

    Sounds like you still have some of it or all of it.......???

    > my monitor has been flickering. This usually
    > happens when I start a program or do something that's
    > processor-intensive. One or both of my monitors will turn black for
    > up to two seconds, then turn back to normal.
    >
    > I've scanned my system with both Norton Antivirus and AVG which now
    > report nothing. I also can't find any reference to W32.Alcra.B
    > causing flickering, so am wondering if this is a weird coincidence.

    Click on Payload 1 for some info here:

    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_VB.AS&VSect=T

    and check the registry yourself: and try the online scanner here:

    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_VB.AS&VSect=Sn

    > The flickering does not happen in Safe Mode.
    >
    > I do not suspect a heating problem as neither my video card nor
    > processor is overly warm.
    >
    > I'm running Windows 2000. If anyone has any suggestions, I would
    > really appreciate them.
    >
    > HC

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, Nov 10, 2005
  6. HC

    HC Guest

    "HC" <> wrote
    > my monitor has been flickering

    Okay, I figured out the problem. Oddy enough, the virus was pure
    coincidence.

    When I took a closer look at the video card, I found...

    http://toao.net/tsc/capacitor.jpg

    o_O

    I'd bet money on it being the video card :p

    Thanks to all who responded,
    --HC

    HC, Nov 10, 2005
  7. On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 04:48:31 GMT, "HC" <>
    wrote:

    >"HC" <> wrote
    >> my monitor has been flickering

    >Okay, I figured out the problem. Oddy enough, the virus was pure
    >coincidence.
    >
    >When I took a closer look at the video card, I found...
    >
    >http://toao.net/tsc/capacitor.jpg
    >
    >o_O
    >
    >I'd bet money on it being the video card :p
    >
    >Thanks to all who responded,
    >--HC

    I noticed you were using an NVidia card, I had a geforce card go
    recently, the fx 5700 (cheap card i know) but it looks like the same
    exact capacitor that went. That seems like a coincidence, or Nvidias
    making cheaper and less reliable cards. Also I had a geforce 4 card
    that went went the fan locked up and the gpu started to melt.

    unluckylanding, Nov 10, 2005
  8. HC

    The Prophecy Guest

    unluckylanding wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 04:48:31 GMT, "HC" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "HC" <> wrote
    >>> my monitor has been flickering

    >> Okay, I figured out the problem. Oddy enough, the virus was pure
    >> coincidence.
    >>
    >> When I took a closer look at the video card, I found...
    >>
    >> http://toao.net/tsc/capacitor.jpg
    >>
    >> o_O
    >>
    >> I'd bet money on it being the video card :p
    >>
    >> Thanks to all who responded,
    >> --HC
    >>

    > I noticed you were using an NVidia card, I had a geforce card go
    > recently, the fx 5700 (cheap card i know) but it looks like the same
    > exact capacitor that went. That seems like a coincidence, or Nvidias
    > making cheaper and less reliable cards. Also I had a geforce 4 card
    > that went went the fan locked up and the gpu started to melt.

    I had a 5600XT awhile ago (since upgraded to a 6800GT) and i never had a
    problem with it.

    The Prophecy, Nov 10, 2005
  9. HC

    Trax Guest

    Trax, Nov 10, 2005
  10. HC

    The Prophecy Guest

    Trax wrote:
    > "The Prophecy" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I had a 5600XT awhile ago (since upgraded to a 6800GT) and i never
    >>> had a problem with it.

    > GeForce? you might be interested in this link
    > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/25/2222212
    > Yes I have the link bookmark'd :)

    Cool.... handy link.

    Thanks Trax