    from an avi to rm. Mainly to cut down on the size of the flick. But no how, no
    way, can I get a simple screen shot. What's the trick to it?
    If it means anything, Windows ME. Thanks to anyone who can be of help.
    4evermore, Nov 17, 2003

  2. 4evermore

    Boomer Guest

    4evermore <> wrote in
    news::

    > Hello.
    > Would like to know what program "WILL" capture a screen shot of an
    > RM. I have tried dozens and so far not a damn one will capture the
    > actual image. Snagit, Camtasia, and other well known programs just
    > don't do it. I can get screen shots of avi's, and mpg's, but not
    > RM's. This is using the latest version of "RealOne". I used a
    > program from "real.com" called "Helix producer" to convert from an
    > avi to rm. Mainly to cut down on the size of the flick. But no
    > how, no way, can I get a simple screen shot. What's the trick to
    > it? If it means anything, Windows ME. Thanks to anyone who can be
    > of help.

    Have you looked through these?
    http://www.webattack.com/Shareware/gmm/swscreen.html
    http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/gmm/fwscreen.html
    Boomer, Nov 17, 2003

  3. 4evermore

    gangle Guest

    "Boomer" wrote
    > 4evermore wrote in
    >
    > > Hello.
    > > Would like to know what program "WILL" capture a screen shot of an
    > > RM. I have tried dozens and so far not a damn one will capture the
    > > actual image. Snagit, Camtasia, and other well known programs just
    > > don't do it. I can get screen shots of avi's, and mpg's, but not
    > > RM's. This is using the latest version of "RealOne". I used a
    > > program from "real.com" called "Helix producer" to convert from an
    > > avi to rm. Mainly to cut down on the size of the flick. But no
    > > how, no way, can I get a simple screen shot. What's the trick to
    > > it? If it means anything, Windows ME. Thanks to anyone who can be
    > > of help.
    > >

    > Have you looked through these?
    > http://www.webattack.com/Shareware/gmm/swscreen.html
    > http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/gmm/fwscreen.html

    These programs are alike in that all capture in the same way,
    that is, they don't capture DirectX properly, and, therefore
    won't capture the Real video that is playing using DirectX.
    What the OP needs to do is make Real player not use DirectX.
    Since I refuse to use RealOne, I don't know specifically how, but
    it's probably similar to the previous version: OP should look for
    Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck where it reads something
    similar to "Use optimized video display." Then Real player will
    NOT use DirectX in conjunction with the computer's grahics card,
    and ANY capture program should capture the player and video display,
    which can then be cropped out using Irfan or another image program.
    Note: the player may not work as well, so this configuration might
    be best only used when capturing is needed.
    gangle, Nov 17, 2003
  4. 4evermore

    Boomer Guest

    "gangle"wrote
    > "Boomer" wrote
    >> 4evermore wrote in
    >>
    >> > Hello.
    >> > Would like to know what program "WILL" capture a screen shot of an
    >> > RM. I have tried dozens and so far not a damn one will capture the
    >> > actual image. Snagit, Camtasia, and other well known programs just
    >> > don't do it. I can get screen shots of avi's, and mpg's, but not
    >> > RM's. This is using the latest version of "RealOne". I used a
    >> > program from "real.com" called "Helix producer" to convert from an
    >> > avi to rm. Mainly to cut down on the size of the flick. But no
    >> > how, no way, can I get a simple screen shot. What's the trick to
    >> > it? If it means anything, Windows ME. Thanks to anyone who can be
    >> > of help.

    >> Have you looked through these?
    >> http://www.webattack.com/Shareware/gmm/swscreen.html
    >> http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/gmm/fwscreen.html

    > These programs are alike in that all capture in the same way,
    > that is, they don't capture DirectX properly, and, therefore
    > won't capture the Real video that is playing using DirectX.
    > What the OP needs to do is make Real player not use DirectX.
    > Since I refuse to use RealOne, I don't know specifically how, but
    > it's probably similar to the previous version: OP should look for
    > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck where it reads something
    > similar to "Use optimized video display." Then Real player will
    > NOT use DirectX in conjunction with the computer's grahics card,
    > and ANY capture program should capture the player and video display,
    > which can then be cropped out using Irfan or another image program.
    > Note: the player may not work as well, so this configuration might
    > be best only used when capturing is needed.

    Thank you, gangle. :)
    Boomer, Nov 17, 2003
  5. 4evermore

    gangle Guest

    "Boomer" wrote

    **** you.
    gangle, Nov 17, 2003
  6. 4evermore

    4evermore Guest

    In article <>, gangle says...

    >"Boomer" wrote
    >> 4evermore wrote in
    >>
    >> > Hello.
    >> > Would like to know what program "WILL" capture a screen shot of an
    >> > RM. I have tried dozens and so far not a damn one will capture the
    >> > actual image. Snagit, Camtasia, and other well known programs just
    >> > don't do it. I can get screen shots of avi's, and mpg's, but not
    >> > RM's. This is using the latest version of "RealOne". I used a
    >> > program from "real.com" called "Helix producer" to convert from an
    >> > avi to rm. Mainly to cut down on the size of the flick. But no
    >> > how, no way, can I get a simple screen shot. What's the trick to
    >> > it? If it means anything, Windows ME. Thanks to anyone who can be
    >> > of help.
    >> >

    >> Have you looked through these?
    >> http://www.webattack.com/Shareware/gmm/swscreen.html
    >> http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/gmm/fwscreen.html

    >These programs are alike in that all capture in the same way,
    >that is, they don't capture DirectX properly, and, therefore
    >won't capture the Real video that is playing using DirectX.
    >What the OP needs to do is make Real player not use DirectX.
    >Since I refuse to use RealOne, I don't know specifically how, but
    >it's probably similar to the previous version: OP should look for
    >Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck where it reads something
    >similar to "Use optimized video display." Then Real player will
    >NOT use DirectX in conjunction with the computer's grahics card,
    >and ANY capture program should capture the player and video display,
    >which can then be cropped out using Irfan or another image program.
    >Note: the player may not work as well, so this configuration might
    >be best only used when capturing is needed.

    Thanks gangle. But the newer version of "real one" is not the same as the old
    "real player" with the preferences as you describe. There is no "performance"
    tab. Instead, they have an explorer like tree which you pick from and the
    various options appear. I have seen no option as you describe.

    I would like to try using "real player" as it used to be, but the damn thing
    demands you upgrade no matter what.

    Got any video players that might work with it?
    4evermore, Nov 17, 2003
  7. 4evermore

    gangle Guest

    4evermore" wrote
    > In article gangle says...
    > >
    > >"Boomer" wrote
    > >> 4evermore wrote in

    > >> Have you looked through these?
    > >> http://www.webattack.com/Shareware/gmm/swscreen.html
    > >> http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/gmm/fwscreen.html

    > >These programs are alike in that all capture in the same way,
    > >that is, they don't capture DirectX properly, and, therefore
    > >won't capture the Real video that is playing using DirectX.
    > >What the OP needs to do is make Real player not use DirectX.
    > >Since I refuse to use RealOne, I don't know specifically how, but
    > >it's probably similar to the previous version: OP should look for
    > >Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck where it reads something
    > >similar to "Use optimized video display." Then Real player will
    > >NOT use DirectX in conjunction with the computer's grahics card,
    > >and ANY capture program should capture the player and video display,
    > >which can then be cropped out using Irfan or another image program.
    > >Note: the player may not work as well, so this configuration might
    > >be best only used when capturing is needed.
    > >

    > Thanks gangle. But the newer version of "real one" is not the same as the old
    > "real player" with the preferences as you describe. There is no "performance"
    > tab. Instead, they have an explorer like tree which you pick from and the
    > various options appear. I have seen no option as you describe.
    >
    > I would like to try using "real player" as it used to be, but the damn thing
    > demands you upgrade no matter what.
    >
    > Got any video players that might work with it?

    Just ininstall RealOne and then install version 8 -- and then just
    ignore/turn off the version upgrade crap. The only thing 8 needs
    is the version 9 codecs, which you can get by trying to play a v9
    encoded RM, then letting it download the software necessary
    for that codec installation only , NOT a new version of the player.

    Player 8 from Real: http://makeashorterlink.com/?F23565F86

    When installing 8, uncheck everything with regard to web updates
    subscribing, etc. There will be some sites that have
    bought the RealOne software and have chosen a non-compatible
    stream, so you will not be able to access such sites, but that
    is a minor compromise to get a more stable, capture-friendly
    player.
    gangle, Nov 17, 2003