Scream time!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paxo, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Paxo

    Paxo Guest

    Hi group!
    Hoping someone out there can help me with this:-
    New PC, amd2800+, 1gig ram, MSI KT7 mobo, MSI dvd dual layer writer Nvidia
    FX 5700 256mb graphics
    160gb hdd also 120gb serial ata hdd
    Windows XP pro (genuine!!)
    All started off OK sys up and running no probs Copying dvd's for backup and
    test to see if it works using DVD shrink, no probs for two days. All
    Windows updates, latest nvidia drivers etc. Firewalled and anti-virus.
    Pc started randomly crashing, ie re-booting while copying. Analysed and
    Transfer rate also stalled sometimes but eventually PC would crash. Totally
    random sometimes (rarely) will copy other times will crash, not to do with
    the writer because it hasnt got that far when it crashes. Could still browse
    net use office etc no prob.
    Got fed up changed mobo, ram, all cables disconnected floppy serail ata and
    re-installed windows. Fine. For a while......then same symptons. Could
    this be a driver or conflict issue? Possibly the errors only start
    occuring after I have downloaded all the windows updates.
    Im just formatting and going back to Windows ME to try running with that but
    in the meantime if anyone knows anything, incompatability issues with Win
    XP/DVD Writers/Serial ATA please help me im at my wits end with it!
    Finally have run a couple of testing progs and all hardware passes!

    Thanks in hope and desperation!
    Steve Packham
    Paxo, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Paxo

    ImhoTech Guest

    "Paxo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi group!
    > Hoping someone out there can help me with this:-
    > New PC, amd2800+, 1gig ram, MSI KT7 mobo, MSI dvd dual layer writer Nvidia
    > FX 5700 256mb graphics
    > 160gb hdd also 120gb serial ata hdd
    > Windows XP pro (genuine!!)
    > All started off OK sys up and running no probs Copying dvd's for backup

    and
    > test to see if it works using DVD shrink, no probs for two days. All
    > Windows updates, latest nvidia drivers etc. Firewalled and anti-virus.
    > Pc started randomly crashing, ie re-booting while copying. Analysed and
    > Transfer rate also stalled sometimes but eventually PC would crash.

    Totally
    > random sometimes (rarely) will copy other times will crash, not to do with
    > the writer because it hasnt got that far when it crashes. Could still

    browse
    > net use office etc no prob.
    > Got fed up changed mobo, ram, all cables disconnected floppy serail ata

    and
    > re-installed windows. Fine. For a while......then same symptons. Could
    > this be a driver or conflict issue? Possibly the errors only start
    > occuring after I have downloaded all the windows updates.
    > Im just formatting and going back to Windows ME to try running with that

    but
    > in the meantime if anyone knows anything, incompatability issues with Win
    > XP/DVD Writers/Serial ATA please help me im at my wits end with it!
    > Finally have run a couple of testing progs and all hardware passes!
    >
    > Thanks in hope and desperation!
    > Steve Packham

    First guess is you just need a bigger(better) power supply.
    ImhoTech, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Paxo

    Paxo Guest

    I thought that too but doesnt explain why it runs for a couple of days just
    fine
    Its a new 400w so should be ok?

    Paxo, Aug 6, 2004
  4. Paxo

    Tech Guest

    ImhoTech wrote:

    > "Paxo" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi group!
    >> Hoping someone out there can help me with this:-
    >> New PC, amd2800+, 1gig ram, MSI KT7 mobo, MSI dvd dual layer writer
    >> Nvidia FX 5700 256mb graphics
    >> 160gb hdd also 120gb serial ata hdd
    >> Windows XP pro (genuine!!)
    >> All started off OK sys up and running no probs Copying dvd's for backup

    > and
    >> test to see if it works using DVD shrink, no probs for two days. All
    >> Windows updates, latest nvidia drivers etc. Firewalled and anti-virus.
    >> Pc started randomly crashing, ie re-booting while copying. Analysed and
    >> Transfer rate also stalled sometimes but eventually PC would crash.

    > Totally
    >> random sometimes (rarely) will copy other times will crash, not to do
    >> with the writer because it hasnt got that far when it crashes. Could
    >> still

    > browse
    >> net use office etc no prob.
    >> Got fed up changed mobo, ram, all cables disconnected floppy serail ata

    > and
    >> re-installed windows. Fine. For a while......then same symptons. Could
    >> this be a driver or conflict issue? Possibly the errors only start
    >> occuring after I have downloaded all the windows updates.
    >> Im just formatting and going back to Windows ME to try running with that

    > but
    >> in the meantime if anyone knows anything, incompatability issues with Win
    >> XP/DVD Writers/Serial ATA please help me im at my wits end with it!
    >> Finally have run a couple of testing progs and all hardware passes!
    >>
    >> Thanks in hope and desperation!
    >> Steve Packham
    >>

    > First guess is you just need a bigger(better) power supply.

    To determine and isolate hardware issues, google for the Knoppix CD, which
    will allow you to boot a Linux distribution from the CD without making
    changes to your system.

    --
    __
    Tech, Aug 6, 2004
  5. Paxo

    Tech Guest

    Tech wrote:

    Sorry, my last post was meant for Paxo.

    --
    __
    Tech, Aug 6, 2004
  6. Paxo

    Deano Plenty Guest

    Problem has to be the write speed. Serial ata hard drives always seem to
    have problems with dvd writers.
    NTI CD and DVD-Maker Platinum v6.7.0.28 will lower the write speed and works
    well with dual layer dvd writers. Try to cache all the files. The latest
    version of copytodvd likely won't work well but you can cache all files nero
    never works with anything. Allocate memory to programs not cache in windows
    xp.

    Deano Plenty, Aug 7, 2004
  7. Paxo

    Paxo Guest

    Thanks for the comments.
    However running serial ata as slave, master is standard ide. Even unplugged
    ata drive as precaution. Sytem worked fine for 2 days, copied everything I
    threw at it then just started this random shut and re-boot, error messages
    point to mainly driver issue or hardware failure. Have now replaced ram
    with branded tested ram, and new 550w psu. Probably something stupid like a
    fractured wire somewhere!!

    Paxo

    Paxo, Aug 7, 2004