    scratches on the disc, or should I look into getting a better DVD
    player?

    , May 12, 2007

  2. On 12 May 2007 09:35:20 -0700, wrote:

    >I started checking out DVDs from the library, and occasionally a scene
    >does not play correctly. Is this a common problem probably due to
    >scratches on the disc, or should I look into getting a better DVD
    >player?

    Do you always put your disc from the box into the tray or are you so
    stupid that you place them onto flat surfaces?

    There are only two places for an optical disc... its storage caddy,
    and the tray of the reader device. PERIOD.

    So, if your discs have scratches on them, what you need to adjust is
    YOUR practices first and foremost.

    The Great Attractor, May 12, 2007

  3. Jerry Guest

    "The Great Attractor"
    <> wrote in message
    > On 12 May 2007 09:35:20 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>I started checking out DVDs from the library, and occasionally a scene
    >>does not play correctly. Is this a common problem probably due to
    >>scratches on the disc, or should I look into getting a better DVD
    >>player?

    > Do you always put your disc from the box into the tray or are you so
    > stupid that you place them onto flat surfaces?
    >
    > There are only two places for an optical disc... its storage caddy,
    > and the tray of the reader device. PERIOD.
    >
    > So, if your discs have scratches on them, what you need to adjust is
    > YOUR practices first and foremost.

    Did you bother to even read the guys post, he's talking about DVDs from the
    library.

    Jerry, May 12, 2007
  4. On Sat, 12 May 2007 17:48:12 -0400, "Jerry" <> wrote:

    >"The Great Attractor"
    ><> wrote in message
    >> On 12 May 2007 09:35:20 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >>>I started checking out DVDs from the library, and occasionally a scene
    >>>does not play correctly. Is this a common problem probably due to
    >>>scratches on the disc, or should I look into getting a better DVD
    >>>player?

    >> Do you always put your disc from the box into the tray or are you so
    >> stupid that you place them onto flat surfaces?
    >>
    >> There are only two places for an optical disc... its storage caddy,
    >> and the tray of the reader device. PERIOD.
    >>
    >> So, if your discs have scratches on them, what you need to adjust is
    >> YOUR practices first and foremost.

    >Did you bother to even read the guys post, he's talking about DVDs from the
    >library.

    Good reason not to use them.

    Also shows how retarded the freeloaders in the world are. They throw
    their cig butts on the ground, their gum, their trash.

    If it isn't directly affecting something they own, they feel like it is
    OK to shit on the world and that cleaning it up is someone else's job.

    Funny... browse through a library book, and find no marks throughout
    the book.

    Why then did the world fail so miserably at training folks how to use an
    optical disc properly?

    Goddamned IQs have dropped 40 points since I was in school.

    The Great Attractor, May 12, 2007
  5. def456 Guest

    It could be your DVD player. I tried out several cheapo DVD players from
    Walmart and Sears a few years ago. Most of them didn't work right - skipped,
    froze, weak sound, etc. Rule of thumb: Get one that costs at least $50 and
    forget about anything cheaper. I settled on an Emerson model for about $65
    and it still works fine. When checking the sound, be sure to set Dolby
    Digital to OFF on the player, and set your TV to MONO, unless you happen to
    have a Dolby Digital decoder. Most TVs are incompatible with Dolby Digital,
    causing weak sound, particularly the older 4:3 models.

    Or it could be the discs. Usually they just need to be cleaned. There are
    several ways to do it. The easiest and quickest is to lay the disc on a
    paper towel on a flat surface, playing side up, and squirt it with a little
    window cleaner. Then rub with a kleenix from the inner hub to the outer
    edge, in a straightline motion. Never rub in circular motions. Go around the
    disc in this fashion til it looks like all the gunk is removed. Then in
    similar fashion, dry it with a dry kleenix.

    There's another method to use when that one fails. Holding the disc with the
    left hand, squirt some liquid dish washing soap on the playing surface. Then
    with the righthand fingers move the soap around til it completely coats the
    surface. Now you use your right thumb in the same fashion as you used the
    kleenix above. Rub with the thumb from the inner hub to the outer edge in
    straightline motions. Go around the disc in that fashion. Then hold the disc
    under luke warm water from the faucet and go around the disc again with your
    right thumb, this time pressing the disc firmly between your right thumb and
    forefinger. What this does is rub off any water insolubles using friction.
    Pay particular attention to any visible spots of gunk on the disc. You may
    have to rub the spots repeatedly, which moves the gunk gradually towards the
    outer edge then off the disc. Who knows what it is? One possibility is
    adhesives from labels, which is water insoluble. Because your thumb is wet
    and clean and smooth from the soap, it won't scratch the disc. This assumes
    you don't have any hard calluses on your thumb. Finally, blot (not rub) it
    dry between paper towels on a flat surface.

    If those cleaning methods fail, it could be caused by scratches on the disc.
    There are polishers that may be able to remove the the scratches but most
    people don't have one. I've never tried polishing them.

    def456, May 13, 2007
  6. On Sun, 13 May 2007 08:45:45 -0500, "def456" <> wrote:

    >It could be

    That you are a top posting Usenet retard!

    The Great Attractor, May 13, 2007
  7. On Sun, 13 May 2007 08:45:45 -0500, "def456" <> wrote:

    > or should I look into getting a better DVD
    >> player?

    If the player is old, as in more than a year or so, try turning it
    upside down after the playback starts.

    Laser pick up heads can sag over time, and fall out of their calibrated
    position too far to recover via their focal adjustment range.

    The upside down trick will tell you if this is the case. If the disk
    returns to proper playback, your laser head has sagged. A simple re-cal
    could fix it, but that is a service on the deck, not a user serviceable
    item (generally).

    The Great Attractor, May 13, 2007
  8. Doug Jacobs Guest

    wrote:
    > I started checking out DVDs from the library, and occasionally a scene
    > does not play correctly. Is this a common problem probably due to
    > scratches on the disc, or should I look into getting a better DVD
    > player?

    I've gotten into the habit of inspecting any DVD from the library or
    Netflix before popping it into the DVD player. I've come across a few
    discs that were scratched badly enough that certain scenes wouldn't play
    on my player which was under a year old. Why people can't take better
    care of a simple disc is beyond me.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

    Doug Jacobs, May 16, 2007
  9. nick Guest

    Doug Jacobs wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I started checking out DVDs from the library, and occasionally a scene
    >> does not play correctly. Is this a common problem probably due to
    >> scratches on the disc, or should I look into getting a better DVD
    >> player?

    FWIW - I have started using Brasso to smooth out the scratches
    on library and netflix discs. Started using it after my 5-year old
    grandaughter got hold of some muppet show discs. A little brasso
    on a cloth, wiping radially, really does clean up a lot of scratches.

    nick, May 16, 2007