    usually turns up at least 25 "errors" and calls it a "bad disk". Both
    DVD players are bargain basement, but the Apex wins out all the time.
    Any ideas?

    frk040, Feb 2, 2004

  2. frk040

    Mark W Guest

    "frk040" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > These DVD's play fine (most of the time) on my Apex DVD player hooked
    > up to the TV, but will not play all the way through without error on
    > my computer DVD-RW (Verbatim). When scanned with DVD X Rescue, it
    > usually turns up at least 25 "errors" and calls it a "bad disk". Both
    > DVD players are bargain basement, but the Apex wins out all the time.
    > Any ideas?

    The DVD-ROM drive in my PC won't read scratched or defective DVDs that my
    DVD player will handle fine.

    Mark W, Feb 2, 2004

  3. frk040

    joel Guest

    "frk040" <> a écrit dans le message de news:...
    | These DVD's play fine (most of the time) on my Apex DVD player hooked
    | up to the TV, but will not play all the way through without error on
    | my computer DVD-RW (Verbatim). When scanned with DVD X Rescue, it
    | usually turns up at least 25 "errors" and calls it a "bad disk". Both
    | DVD players are bargain basement, but the Apex wins out all the time.
    | Any ideas?

    There are some DVD players better than others to manage errors ...

    joel

    joel, Feb 2, 2004
  4. frk040

    Skid Guest

    "frk040" <> wrote in message
    > These DVD's play fine (most of the time) on my Apex DVD player hooked
    > up to the TV, but will not play all the way through without error on
    > my computer DVD-RW (Verbatim). When scanned with DVD X Rescue, it
    > usually turns up at least 25 "errors" and calls it a "bad disk". Both
    > DVD players are bargain basement, but the Apex wins out all the time.
    > Any ideas?

    Try wiping them off with a soft cloth and some glass cleaner. Wipe inside to
    out, not around in a circle. Sometimes just a good cleaning is enough to get
    them to work again.

    Skid, Feb 2, 2004
  5. frk040

    Dave Guest

    > | These DVD's play fine (most of the time) on my Apex DVD player hooked
    > | up to the TV, but will not play all the way through without error on
    > | my computer DVD-RW (Verbatim). When scanned with DVD X Rescue, it
    > | usually turns up at least 25 "errors" and calls it a "bad disk". Both
    > | DVD players are bargain basement, but the Apex wins out all the time.
    > | Any ideas?
    >
    > There are some DVD players better than others to manage errors ...
    >
    > joel

    This is in part due to the distance between the laser and the disc itself.
    Some players have the disc closer to the laser.

    Dave, Feb 3, 2004
  6. frk040

    Nikoli Yetti Guest

    > DVD players are bargain basement, but the Apex wins out all the time.
    > Any ideas?

    Yes, Apex are one of the best kept secrets. My cheapo Apex, outplays my
    Sony, Toshiba easily.

    Nikoli Yetti, Feb 3, 2004
  7. frk040

    joel Guest

    "Dave" <> a écrit dans le message de news:y0CTb.99402$...

    | "joel" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "frk040" <> a écrit dans le message de
    | > | These DVD's play fine (most of the time) on my Apex DVD player hooked
    | > | up to the TV, but will not play all the way through without error on
    | > | my computer DVD-RW (Verbatim). When scanned with DVD X Rescue, it
    | > | usually turns up at least 25 "errors" and calls it a "bad disk". Both
    | > | DVD players are bargain basement, but the Apex wins out all the time.
    | > | Any ideas?
    | >
    | > There are some DVD players better than others to manage errors ...
    | >
    | > joel
    | >
    | This is in part due to the distance between the laser and the disc itself.
    | Some players have the disc closer to the laser.

    The lens has to be kept in the right position in two ways:

    - focus

    This is to control in real time the distance between the lens and the disk.
    A disk is never perfectly flat, so the distance has to be adjusted constantly.

    - tracking

    This is to ensure that the laser follow the data spiral. This the most difficult
    task.

    These two tasks are performed with a DSP (digital signal processor). Of course
    the DSP and DSP's firmware are not the same from one manufacturer to an other,
    so there are performance differences.

    For example, after a defect on the disk, some players skip a track. This is a disaster.
    Some other player find the good track after the same defect.

    An other point is data reading. Some players are faster to relock on the data stream
    after a defect than others. So these players loose less data and consequently the
    error correction (Reed Solomon) is able to reconstruct the missing data on
    the defective part on the disk.

    joel

    joel, Feb 3, 2004
  8. frk040

    Guest

    On 2 Feb 2004 10:22:13 -0800, (frk040) wrote:

    >These DVD's play fine (most of the time) on my Apex DVD player hooked
    >up to the TV, but will not play all the way through without error on
    >my computer DVD-RW (Verbatim). When scanned with DVD X Rescue, it
    >usually turns up at least 25 "errors" and calls it a "bad disk". Both
    >DVD players are bargain basement, but the Apex wins out all the time.
    >Any ideas?

    This might be stating the obvious but my local library is part of a
    district library and I am able to request the same title from multiple
    area libraries so if your intention is to get a copy that also plays
    on your computer see if you can request a different copy.

    , Feb 3, 2004