    this? I would appreciate any advice on this subject. Reply here or
    email if you prefer.

    Thanks!
    dewey, Mar 20, 2006

  2. dewey

    Guest

    Be careful with anything designed to fiull scratches in galss, because
    the screen will be some plastic. If it's not a very deep scratch, try
    car paint polisher, called T Cut here. It comes in two grades - one for
    deeper scratches, one for final finish. But try just a corner of the
    screen first and watch for fogging or marking
    , Mar 20, 2006

  3. dewey

    Davy Guest

    If glass use Chemico, its a paste thats used on cars.... to grind
    engine piston's, it comes in a red and blue double ended tin, i
    deep use the coarse end finishing the the fine paste at the opp
    end, If it's a slight mark skip using the coarse and use the fin
    end

    I've got deep marks out of TV screens with this, take's a lot o
    polishing, just keep rubbing and rubbing in a circular motion
    gradually ending over the entire screen to avoid leaving a hollow
    wiell take a fair time if it's a deep scratch but will come out usin
    'elbow grease' (a lot of pressure). If you can get proper grindin
    past for glass use that. You would be better getting the fines
    which would take longer, than to get the rough and do it quicker
    always use the rough stuff sparingly

    If plastic, perspex etc, I use Silvo or Brasso the fluid metal polis
    stuff, obviously plastic or perspex won't take as much doing as wit
    glass and you won't need to rub as hard. I have use this on perspe
    covers, the sort of thing you get to cover turntables/record player
    etc

    The important thing to remember is to concentrate on the area of th
    marks working out over the entire screen in a circular motio
    otherwise it will end up looking like a concave telescope lens....!

    NOTE
    Silverglit is silver polish, Brasso is brass polish - it does no
    matter which in our case, but as the marks starts to come out us
    less and less pressure letting the polish do abrasive work. The onl
    thing to watch out for is that some screens may have a anti-glar
    coating etc

    If you have anything like Brasso or Silvo, get some plastic or perspe
    and put a couple of marks in to try first.

    Took me about an hour to get a bad mark out of a TV screen that ha
    got scratched in the boot of a car

    I have never tried glass filler so can not comment about it, I hav
    heard of it

    Dav
    Davy, Mar 21, 2006
  4. dewey

    Marvin Guest

    dewey wrote:
    > I have a Casio EX-P700 and I recently managed to put a scratch in the
    > LCD view screen. It's not terrible but it is annoying. Was hoping
    > someone would have an easy remedy for this. I thought about trying
    > those eye-glass repair kits that fill in scratches - has anyone tried
    > this? I would appreciate any advice on this subject. Reply here or
    > email if you prefer.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Others have posted suggetsions for polishing a scratch from
    the screen. When you have done that, protect the screen
    from more scratches with a shield from daproducts.com. Some
    digicams come with a shield, others don't.
    Marvin, Mar 21, 2006
  5. dewey

    SS Guest

    "dewey" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Casio EX-P700 and I recently managed to put a scratch in the
    > LCD view screen. It's not terrible but it is annoying. Was hoping
    > someone would have an easy remedy for this. I thought about trying
    > those eye-glass repair kits that fill in scratches - has anyone tried
    > this? I would appreciate any advice on this subject. Reply here or
    > email if you prefer.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I believe these screens are plastic and would not take much pressure. I can
    only siggest perhaps trying one of those clear plastic screen protectors -
    maybe if you apply one over the screen and scratch it might tend to blend
    in. Also try a little distilled water or breathing on the screen before
    applying the protector - a thin layer of liquid would fill in the scratch.
    For a couple of quid worth a try? look on Ebay.
    SS, Mar 21, 2006
  6. dewey

    Alan Meyer Guest

    SS wrote:
    > I believe these screens are plastic and would not take much pressure.

    I agree with that sentiment. You run the risk of making everything
    dramatically worse by using any kind of polishing agent. You
    could wind up scratching or dulling the entire screen, or cracking it,
    or damaging the LCD crystals underneath.

    > I can
    > only siggest perhaps trying one of those clear plastic screen protectors -
    > maybe if you apply one over the screen and scratch it might tend to blend
    > in. Also try a little distilled water or breathing on the screen before
    > applying the protector - a thin layer of liquid would fill in the scratch.
    > For a couple of quid worth a try? look on Ebay.

    That is an interesting idea - filling in the scratch with water
    and then covering it with a removable, clear plastic cover. I
    don't really expect it to render the scratch less visible, but if
    you test the plastic covering and know for sure that it can be
    easily removed without damaging anything, you can try it with
    little risk.

    I have protected an LCD in the past using a stick-on plastic
    sheet designed for use in covering a Palm Pilot hand held
    computer screen. It worked very well. But I did it before there
    were any scratches.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Mar 21, 2006
  7. dewey

    Guest

    On 20 Mar 2006 11:42:18 -0800, "dewey" <> wrote:

    > I have a Casio EX-P700 and I recently managed to put a scratch in the
    > LCD view screen. It's not terrible but it is annoying. Was hoping
    > someone would have an easy remedy for this. I thought about trying
    > those eye-glass repair kits that fill in scratches - has anyone tried
    > this? I would appreciate any advice on this subject. Reply here or
    > email if you prefer.

    I was told screen replacement was the way to go when I scratched the screen on my old Fuji 602. It
    would have cost around $250 for a new screen so I put up with it.
    , Mar 21, 2006
  8. dewey

    irwell Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:25:49 GMT, wrote:

    >On 20 Mar 2006 11:42:18 -0800, "dewey" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Casio EX-P700 and I recently managed to put a scratch in the
    >> LCD view screen. It's not terrible but it is annoying. Was hoping
    >> someone would have an easy remedy for this. I thought about trying
    >> those eye-glass repair kits that fill in scratches - has anyone tried
    >> this? I would appreciate any advice on this subject. Reply here or
    >> email if you prefer.

    Toothpaste, the one with baking soda. Apply about 1/4 inch blob
    use your thumb to rub in a gentle circular motion, then dip your thumb
    in water and rub and dilute the paste, do this several times.
    irwell, Mar 21, 2006
  9. dewey

    SimonLW Guest

    "dewey" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Casio EX-P700 and I recently managed to put a scratch in the
    > LCD view screen. It's not terrible but it is annoying. Was hoping
    > someone would have an easy remedy for this. I thought about trying
    > those eye-glass repair kits that fill in scratches - has anyone tried
    > this? I would appreciate any advice on this subject. Reply here or
    > email if you prefer.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Beware of advice for polishing the screen to remove the scratch. Many
    screens have an abrasion resistant coating. If you scratched it and try to
    polish, the softer plastic underneath would erode faster and actually widen
    the scratch. It would look awful.
    -S
    SimonLW, Mar 22, 2006
  10. dewey

    dewey Guest

    SimonLW wrote:
    > "dewey" <> wrote in message
    > >I have a Casio EX-P700 and I recently managed to put a scratch in the
    > > LCD view screen. It's not terrible but it is annoying. Was hoping
    > > someone would have an easy remedy for this. I thought about trying
    > > those eye-glass repair kits that fill in scratches - has anyone tried
    > > this? I would appreciate any advice on this subject. Reply here or
    > > email if you prefer.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > Beware of advice for polishing the screen to remove the scratch. Many
    > screens have an abrasion resistant coating. If you scratched it and try to
    > polish, the softer plastic underneath would erode faster and actually widen
    > the scratch. It would look awful.
    > -S

    I think this may be the case for my camera. There seems to be a layer
    or coating over the screen itself. I cannot tell is the scratch in only
    in this coating or if it actually hits the screen underneath. I've
    tried contacting Casio support but they have not replied. That's why I
    posted here - hoping for advice. For now I think I'll "do nothing" -
    hopefully I'll hear back from Casio soon.

    Thanks to all....
    dewey, Mar 22, 2006
  11. dewey

    SS Guest

    I think we would all be interested to hear what happened eventually? I
    reckon the screen protector with a little moisture (Mine recommends a drop
    of distilled water before applying) would at least mask the problem, but i
    don't know I have not got a scratched screen!
    SS, Apr 3, 2006