    data it is looking for which it can't because the disc is scratched. Is
    there a way to stop the DVD and ejecting the disc without waiting an hour
    for the damn thing to let the disc go?
    cowboyz, Jun 24, 2004

  2. cowboyz wrote:
    > Is
    > there a way to stop the DVD and ejecting the disc without waiting an hour
    > for the damn thing to let the disc go?

    a paper clip in the little hole on the front... although I don't know if
    this will "unlock" your PC.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 24, 2004

  3. cowboyz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:cbdj5n$hnl$:

    > this has pissed me off for a long time but really getting to me
    > tonight.
    >
    > When I play a hired DVD if it is scratched (as alot are) it will lock
    > up powerDVD which I can end using CTRL ALT DEL. but it will not give
    > the disc back. Even as I type this the disc is still in the drive and
    > I it locks up windows commander because (I assume) it will not stop
    > until it finds the data it is looking for which it can't because the
    > disc is scratched. Is there a way to stop the DVD and ejecting the
    > disc without waiting an hour for the damn thing to let the disc go?

    What version of windows?

    Have you looked for an update to the DVD Software you are using to play the
    DVD?
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jun 24, 2004
  4. cowboyz

    Jackson Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > this has pissed me off for a long time but really getting to me tonight.
    >
    > When I play a hired DVD if it is scratched (as alot are) it will lock up
    > powerDVD which I can end using CTRL ALT DEL. but it will not give the disc
    > back. Even as I type this the disc is still in the drive and I it locks

    up
    > windows commander because (I assume) it will not stop until it finds the
    > data it is looking for which it can't because the disc is scratched. Is
    > there a way to stop the DVD and ejecting the disc without waiting an hour
    > for the damn thing to let the disc go?

    Cant you right click the drive in explorer and selecting "eject disk" from
    the menu?

    Jackson.
    Jackson, Jun 24, 2004
  5. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:cbdj5n$hnl$:
    >
    >> this has pissed me off for a long time but really getting to me
    >> tonight.
    >>
    >> When I play a hired DVD if it is scratched (as alot are) it will lock
    >> up powerDVD which I can end using CTRL ALT DEL. but it will not give
    >> the disc back. Even as I type this the disc is still in the drive
    >> and I it locks up windows commander because (I assume) it will not
    >> stop until it finds the data it is looking for which it can't
    >> because the disc is scratched. Is there a way to stop the DVD and
    >> ejecting the disc without waiting an hour for the damn thing to let
    >> the disc go?
    >>

    > What version of windows?
    >
    > Have you looked for an update to the DVD Software you are using to
    > play the DVD?
    > Ciao, Dave

    No but I just tried out with my burner instead of the player. It still
    locks up due to scratched disc but it ejects the disc after about 30 secs.
    Thats a Ricoh. My DVDROM is a Asus. the crap thing it is.
    cowboyz, Jun 24, 2004
  6. cowboyz

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:52:23 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >this has pissed me off for a long time but really getting to me tonight.
    >
    >When I play a hired DVD if it is scratched (as alot are) it will lock up
    >powerDVD which I can end using CTRL ALT DEL. but it will not give the disc
    >back. Even as I type this the disc is still in the drive and I it locks up
    >windows commander because (I assume) it will not stop until it finds the
    >data it is looking for which it can't because the disc is scratched. Is
    >there a way to stop the DVD and ejecting the disc without waiting an hour
    >for the damn thing to let the disc go?

    When this happens to me the only thing I can do is hit the reset
    button as I find that I can't do anything else until I do.
    GraB, Jun 24, 2004
  7. cowboyz

    GraB Guest

    What DVD drive is best at reading scratched DVDs? (was Re: scratched dvd and no edjecting disc)

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:27:42 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:cbdj5n$hnl$:
    >>
    >>> this has pissed me off for a long time but really getting to me
    >>> tonight.
    >>>
    >>> When I play a hired DVD if it is scratched (as alot are) it will lock
    >>> up powerDVD which I can end using CTRL ALT DEL. but it will not give
    >>> the disc back. Even as I type this the disc is still in the drive
    >>> and I it locks up windows commander because (I assume) it will not
    >>> stop until it finds the data it is looking for which it can't
    >>> because the disc is scratched. Is there a way to stop the DVD and
    >>> ejecting the disc without waiting an hour for the damn thing to let
    >>> the disc go?
    >>>

    >> What version of windows?
    >>
    >> Have you looked for an update to the DVD Software you are using to
    >> play the DVD?
    >> Ciao, Dave

    >No but I just tried out with my burner instead of the player. It still
    >locks up due to scratched disc but it ejects the disc after about 30 secs.
    >Thats a Ricoh. My DVDROM is a Asus. the crap thing it is.

    Mine's an ASUS E612 with 1.2 firmware. What's yours?

    One review I read of a Cyberdrive DVD burner gave it a very good score
    ar reading their scratched test DVDs, the only one to pass all five
    levels.
    GraB, Jun 24, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...
    > cowboyz wrote:
    > > Is
    > > there a way to stop the DVD and ejecting the disc without waiting an hour
    > > for the damn thing to let the disc go?

    > a paper clip in the little hole on the front... although I don't know if
    > this will "unlock" your PC.

    You're only meant to do that when the PC's turned off. God only knows
    what will happen if the CD's spinning at whatever [thousand] rpm and you
    try to pull the thusly 'unlocked' tray out. ;-) More scratches? Flying
    saucers?

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jun 24, 2004
  9. cowboyz

    Steven H Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:03:42 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >>> Is
    >>> there a way to stop the DVD and ejecting the disc without waiting an hour
    >>> for the damn thing to let the disc go?

    >> a paper clip in the little hole on the front... although I don't know if
    >> this will "unlock" your PC.

    > You're only meant to do that when the PC's turned off. God only knows
    > what will happen if the CD's spinning at whatever [thousand] rpm and you
    > try to pull the thusly 'unlocked' tray out. ;-) More scratches? Flying
    > saucers?

    take it from me - they FLY FAST and a LONG WAY.

    few years ago in my old 20x creative <barf> cd drive litterally catapaulted
    a *very expensive* cd across the room at a high speed. its speed was
    illistrated by a hard to miss dent made in my door.

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

    ..net Geek
    Steven H, Jun 24, 2004
  10. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Jackson wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >> this has pissed me off for a long time but really getting to me
    >> tonight.
    >>
    >> When I play a hired DVD if it is scratched (as alot are) it will
    >> lock up powerDVD which I can end using CTRL ALT DEL. but it will not
    >> give the disc back. Even as I type this the disc is still in the
    >> drive and I it locks up windows commander because (I assume) it will
    >> not stop until it finds the data it is looking for which it can't
    >> because the disc is scratched. Is there a way to stop the DVD and
    >> ejecting the disc without waiting an hour for the damn thing to let
    >> the disc go?

    > Cant you right click the drive in explorer and selecting "eject disk"
    > from the menu?
    >
    > Jackson.

    nope. every app that accesses the cd/dvd drive locks up. Have to restart
    to "unlock" the drive. The Ricoh reacts differently to scratched discs. It
    gives up after 30 seconds. The Asus just keeps on trucking. TNO suggested
    hitting the pin in the drive but even that doesn't work.
    cowboyz, Jun 24, 2004
  11. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Re: What DVD drive is best at reading scratched DVDs? (was Re: scratched dvd and no edjecting disc)

    >>> Have you looked for an update to the DVD Software you are using to
    >>> play the DVD?
    >>> Ciao, Dave

    >> No but I just tried out with my burner instead of the player. It
    >> still locks up due to scratched disc but it ejects the disc after
    >> about 30 secs. Thats a Ricoh. My DVDROM is a Asus. the crap thing
    >> it is.

    > Mine's an ASUS E612 with 1.2 firmware. What's yours?
    >
    > One review I read of a Cyberdrive DVD burner gave it a very good score
    > ar reading their scratched test DVDs, the only one to pass all five
    > levels.

    Its an asus E616
    cowboyz, Jun 24, 2004
  12. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:52:23 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >
    >> this has pissed me off for a long time but really getting to me
    >> tonight.
    >>
    >> When I play a hired DVD if it is scratched (as alot are) it will
    >> lock up powerDVD which I can end using CTRL ALT DEL. but it will not
    >> give the disc back. Even as I type this the disc is still in the
    >> drive and I it locks up windows commander because (I assume) it will
    >> not stop until it finds the data it is looking for which it can't
    >> because the disc is scratched. Is there a way to stop the DVD and
    >> ejecting the disc without waiting an hour for the damn thing to let
    >> the disc go?
    >>

    > When this happens to me the only thing I can do is hit the reset
    > button as I find that I can't do anything else until I do.

    yep. thats the problem. Want a fix without restart.
    cowboyz, Jun 24, 2004
  13. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:03:42 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...
    >>>
    >>> a paper clip in the little hole on the front... although I don't
    >>> know if this will "unlock" your PC.

    >> You're only meant to do that when the PC's turned off. God only knows
    >> what will happen if the CD's spinning at whatever [thousand] rpm and
    >> you try to pull the thusly 'unlocked' tray out. ;-) More
    >> scratches? Flying saucers?

    > take it from me - they FLY FAST and a LONG WAY.
    >
    > few years ago in my old 20x creative <barf> cd drive litterally
    > catapaulted a *very expensive* cd across the room at a high speed.
    > its speed was illistrated by a hard to miss dent made in my door.

    That would be worth a look.
    cowboyz, Jun 24, 2004
  14. cowboyz

    Steven H Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:30:42 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > Steven H wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:03:42 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...

    >>> You're only meant to do that when the PC's turned off. God only knows
    >>> what will happen if the CD's spinning at whatever [thousand] rpm and
    >>> you try to pull the thusly 'unlocked' tray out. ;-) More
    >>> scratches? Flying saucers?

    >> take it from me - they FLY FAST and a LONG WAY.
    >>
    >> few years ago in my old 20x creative <barf> cd drive litterally
    >> catapaulted a *very expensive* cd across the room at a high speed.
    >> its speed was illistrated by a hard to miss dent made in my door.

    > That would be worth a look.

    i must admit, after i got over the fact i was very pissed off about my
    expensisve cd (office 97 pro) it was quite funny watching that disk fly.

    Steven H, Jun 24, 2004
  15. In article <cbds6u$ok7$>, says...
    > Jackson wrote:
    > > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > >> this has pissed me off for a long time but really getting to me
    > >> tonight.
    > >>
    > >> When I play a hired DVD if it is scratched (as alot are) it will
    > >> lock up powerDVD which I can end using CTRL ALT DEL. but it will not
    > >> give the disc back. Even as I type this the disc is still in the
    > >> drive and I it locks up windows commander because (I assume) it will
    > >> not stop until it finds the data it is looking for which it can't
    > >> because the disc is scratched. Is there a way to stop the DVD and
    > >> ejecting the disc without waiting an hour for the damn thing to let
    > >> the disc go?

    > > Cant you right click the drive in explorer and selecting "eject disk"
    > > from the menu?
    > >
    > > Jackson.

    > nope. every app that accesses the cd/dvd drive locks up. Have to restart
    > to "unlock" the drive. The Ricoh reacts differently to scratched discs. It
    > gives up after 30 seconds. The Asus just keeps on trucking. TNO suggested
    > hitting the pin in the drive but even that doesn't work.

    It is possible for software/hardware to lock the drive, for example when
    burning a CD the eject button will not work.

    Every bit of documentation I have seen says the power must be OFF before
    using the emergency eject, probably because you have to force the tray
    lock back against the drive motor. The emergency eject works (on ones
    that I have seen) by pushing back the locking lever that locks the tray
    closed. The lock is closed by a motor as the last stage of the loading of
    the tray usually by the same motor that drives the tray in.
    Patrick Dunford, Jun 24, 2004
  16. cowboyz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > GraB wrote:
    > > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:52:23 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> this has pissed me off for a long time but really getting to me
    > >> tonight.
    > >>
    > >> When I play a hired DVD if it is scratched (as alot are) it will
    > >> lock up powerDVD which I can end using CTRL ALT DEL. but it will not
    > >> give the disc back. Even as I type this the disc is still in the
    > >> drive and I it locks up windows commander because (I assume) it will
    > >> not stop until it finds the data it is looking for which it can't
    > >> because the disc is scratched. Is there a way to stop the DVD and
    > >> ejecting the disc without waiting an hour for the damn thing to let
    > >> the disc go?
    > >>

    > > When this happens to me the only thing I can do is hit the reset
    > > button as I find that I can't do anything else until I do.

    > yep. thats the problem. Want a fix without restart.

    I don't like your chances.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 24, 2004
  17. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <cbds6u$ok7$>, says...
    >> Jackson wrote:
    >>> "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    >>> Cant you right click the drive in explorer and selecting "eject
    >>> disk" from the menu?
    >>>
    >>> Jackson.

    >> nope. every app that accesses the cd/dvd drive locks up. Have to
    >> restart to "unlock" the drive. The Ricoh reacts differently to
    >> scratched discs. It gives up after 30 seconds. The Asus just keeps
    >> on trucking. TNO suggested hitting the pin in the drive but even
    >> that doesn't work.

    > It is possible for software/hardware to lock the drive, for example
    > when burning a CD the eject button will not work.
    >
    > Every bit of documentation I have seen says the power must be OFF
    > before using the emergency eject, probably because you have to force
    > the tray lock back against the drive motor. The emergency eject works
    > (on ones that I have seen) by pushing back the locking lever that
    > locks the tray closed. The lock is closed by a motor as the last
    > stage of the loading of the tray usually by the same motor that
    > drives the tray in.

    damn pleased it didn'twork then....
    cowboyz, Jun 24, 2004
  18. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >> GraB wrote:

    >>> When this happens to me the only thing I can do is hit the reset
    >>> button as I find that I can't do anything else until I do.

    >> yep. thats the problem. Want a fix without restart.

    > I don't like your chances.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    me neitherr
    cowboyz, Jun 24, 2004