    are so many scratches that it could take me weeks.
    Any tips on fast/easy scratch removal techniques in Photoshop 8/CS?

    , Jan 24, 2005

  2. <> wrote:

    > I'm restoring some old family photos for a friend, several of which have
    > a *lot* of scratches. Healing Brush would probably work fine, but there
    > are so many scratches that it could take me weeks.
    > Any tips on fast/easy scratch removal techniques in Photoshop 8/CS?

    There's a free Photoshop plugin on the Kodak site from the folks who did
    digital ICE. Try searching for "dust", "scratch", and/or "removal".

    I forget the name of it, or even if it's still there. It's for film, and so
    may not help much, but worth trying at least.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Ken Weitzel Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm restoring some old family photos for a friend, several of which have
    >>a *lot* of scratches. Healing Brush would probably work fine, but there
    >>are so many scratches that it could take me weeks.
    >>Any tips on fast/easy scratch removal techniques in Photoshop 8/CS?

    > There's a free Photoshop plugin on the Kodak site from the folks who did
    > digital ICE. Try searching for "dust", "scratch", and/or "removal".
    >
    > I forget the name of it, or even if it's still there. It's for film, and so
    > may not help much, but worth trying at least.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Hi David...

    Kodak? Didn't know they had one; are you sure you weren't
    thinking of the Polaroid one?

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Jan 24, 2005
  4. "Ken Weitzel" <> wrote in message

    > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>I'm restoring some old family photos for a friend, several of which have
    > >>a *lot* of scratches. Healing Brush would probably work fine, but there
    > >>are so many scratches that it could take me weeks.
    > >>Any tips on fast/easy scratch removal techniques in Photoshop 8/CS?

    > > There's a free Photoshop plugin on the Kodak site from the folks who did
    > > digital ICE. Try searching for "dust", "scratch", and/or "removal".
    > >
    > > I forget the name of it, or even if it's still there. It's for film, and

    so
    > > may not help much, but worth trying at least.
    > >
    > > David J. Littleboy
    > > Tokyo, Japan
    > >

    > Hi David...
    >
    > Kodak? Didn't know they had one; are you sure you weren't
    > thinking of the Polaroid one?

    Oops. I think you're right. The Polaroid scanners didn't have ICE, so they
    wrote the plugin. Kodak bought out Applied Science Fiction, who make the
    real thing, so there's no need for them to do a plugin.

    Do I have it right now???

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jan 24, 2005
  5. RSD99 Guest

    RSD99, Jan 24, 2005
  6. wrote:

    > I'm restoring some old family photos for a friend, several of which have
    > a *lot* of scratches. Healing Brush would probably work fine, but there
    > are so many scratches that it could take me weeks.
    > Any tips on fast/easy scratch removal techniques in Photoshop 8/CS?

    I find the clone tool, found in most good photo editors, to be the best
    tool for scratch removal.
    Don Stauffer in Minneapolis, Jan 24, 2005
  7. On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:27:24 -0600, Don Stauffer in Minneapolis
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm restoring some old family photos for a friend, several of which have
    >> a *lot* of scratches. Healing Brush would probably work fine, but there
    >> are so many scratches that it could take me weeks.
    >> Any tips on fast/easy scratch removal techniques in Photoshop 8/CS?
    >>

    >I find the clone tool, found in most good photo editors, to be the best
    >tool for scratch removal.

    I heartily agree with Don. You asked for tips on using Photoshop 8,
    and since I use the clone tool regularly in Photoshop 7, I feel it
    should work in 8 also.

    Olin McDaniel
    Olin K. McDaniel, Jan 26, 2005
  8. Guest

    Kibo informs me that "David J. Littleboy" <> stated that:

    [scratch filtering problem]
    >There's a free Photoshop plugin on the Kodak site from the folks who did
    >digital ICE. Try searching for "dust", "scratch", and/or "removal".

    Thanks David, (& the others who responded).

    With a little Googling, I found the freebie Polaroid Scratch/Dust
    plug-in. It's a long way from perfect, but it looks like it'll take a
    lot of the grunt-work out of the job. :)

    , Jan 26, 2005
  9. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Kibo informs me that "David J. Littleboy" <> stated that:
    >
    > [scratch filtering problem]
    >
    >>There's a free Photoshop plugin on the Kodak site from the folks who did
    >>digital ICE. Try searching for "dust", "scratch", and/or "removal".

    > Thanks David, (& the others who responded).
    >
    > With a little Googling, I found the freebie Polaroid Scratch/Dust
    > plug-in. It's a long way from perfect, but it looks like it'll take a
    > lot of the grunt-work out of the job. :)

    The Photoshop Elements 3 product also has a pertty good dust an speckle
    remover, and a 'healing brush' that is like magic for patching up old
    photos.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jan 26, 2005