Scratch another one off my DVD wish list...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by jayembee, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. jayembee

    jayembee Guest

    One relatively obscure series that I'd been hoping (but not
    really expecting) to see on DVD is HBO's very first original
    series: PHILIP MARLOWE, PRIVATE EYE, starring Powers Boothe
    as Chandler's famous detective. HBO debuted this series --
    produced in England by London Weekend Television -- in 1983,
    adapting five of Chandler's short stories. A second season,
    adapting six more shorts, was produced in Canada, and aired
    in 1986.

    It's been 20 years since I'd seen any of the first season
    episodes, except for one I'd managed to scare up on a
    pre-viewed VHS tape, and I never got a chance to see any
    of the second season (I'd moved in the meantime, and my new
    location didn't have cable until a few years later).

    Anyway, I happened to be checking out the DVD section in a
    local Borders, and there it was: a 3-disc boxed set of the
    entire series, released by Goldhil Media (the same folks
    putting out the DVDs of LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE). I had
    not heard even a whisper of anyone planning to release this,
    but sure enough, now that I know it's out, I found it easily
    at Amazon and DVD Planet:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_2/104-7888268-8622333?v=glance&s=dvd

    http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_listing.asp?productid=39037&format=DVD

    Now, the quality isn't great. It's not as bad as what comes
    out of the usual Public Domain suspects, but there's definite
    room for improvement. They're overcompressed -- needlessly,
    at that, as they have four eps per DVD-9 -- and the picture
    looks like it was transferred from a VHS master. The later,
    Canadian-produced episodes fare a little better than the
    earlier, British-produced ones.

    But I'm so glad just to have these -- and to finally be able
    to watch the Season 2 eps -- that I'm ignoring the flaws.
    I'm just one happy frikkin' camper.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 23, 2004

  2. does anyone remember Danny Glover as Marlowe on Showtime's "Fallen Angels"?
    That was a damn good show.

    Vlvetmorning98, Jul 27, 2004