Scoring/filtering with Thunderbird (Was: dumb question...)

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Troy Piggins, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    [crossposted to alt.fan.mozilla]
    * Brian <> :
    > Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    > >Brian <> wrote in
    > >>and I'm embarrassed asking it. What is a score file in a
    > >>newsreader and why would someone use it?

    > >A score file is, in essence, a file that assist syour
    > >newsreader in defining how inportant you rate certain
    > >posts/posters/crosspossts, etc. What it allows you to do is
    > >to score a post based on a set of criteria that the user
    > >defines.
    > >
    > >For example, youmay score posts from a certain poster at
    > >+2000, because he is sometimes useful. Crossposts to another
    > >group may interest you as well, so you can score those at +50.
    > >
    > >Then, if the poster mentioned above made a post and
    > >crossposted it to the above group, that post would get scored
    > >+2050, and it would be noted in your newsreader.
    > >
    > >XNews allows you to set scores between -9999 and +9999, and you can set your
    > >filter to display a set range.

    > So, I have to "train" a score file, kinda' like a junk mail filter?

    It appears you are using and talking about Thunderbird? T'bird
    calls them message filters. You can't automatically train them
    like the junk mail filter, you have to manually create them.
    Look at tools->message filters.

    Sadly T'bird's scoring has a long way to go, in fact I wouldn't
    even call it scoring, it is only a simple filter. Mind you I
    haven't used it extensively for usenet, I use slrn and more
    recently mutt-ng on linux.

    For more info/help, try the alt.fan.mozilla group also.

    Cheers

    --
    Troy Piggins
    ,-o

    Troy Piggins, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Troy Piggins wrote:
    > [crossposted to alt.fan.mozilla]

    Please do not crosspost thank you very much

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 22, 2006

  3. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Mozilla Champion (Dan) <> :
    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    > >[crossposted to alt.fan.mozilla]

    > Please do not crosspost thank you very much

    Why not? The OP was asking a question about Thunderbird
    scoring in another group, I thought this group might be more
    relevant for him. It's on topic and not argumentative in any
    way. I changed the subject heading to be more descriptive about
    the posts content, and I clearly noted in the first line that I
    had crossposted it.

    I fail to see anywhere that I did the wrong thing.

    Cheers

    --
    Troy Piggins
    ,-o
    o ) Ubuntu linux 6.06 http://ubuntu.com RLU#415538 http://counter.li.org
    `-o uptime: 04:40:46 up 3 min,1 user,load average:0.31,0.25,0.10

    Troy Piggins, Aug 22, 2006
  4. Troy Piggins

    Brian Guest

    Troy Piggins wrote:
    > [crossposted to alt.fan.mozilla]
    > * Brian <> :
    >> Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >>> Brian <> wrote in
    >>> A score file is, in essence, a file that assist syour
    >>> newsreader in defining how inportant you rate certain
    >>> posts/posters/crosspossts, etc. What it allows you to do is
    >>> to score a post based on a set of criteria that the user
    >>> defines.
    >>>
    >>> For example, youmay score posts from a certain poster at
    >>> +2000, because he is sometimes useful. Crossposts to another
    >>> group may interest you as well, so you can score those at +50.
    >>>
    >>> Then, if the poster mentioned above made a post and
    >>> crossposted it to the above group, that post would get scored
    >>> +2050, and it would be noted in your newsreader.
    >>>
    >>> XNews allows you to set scores between -9999 and +9999, and you can set your
    >>> filter to display a set range.

    >> So, I have to "train" a score file, kinda' like a junk mail filter?

    > It appears you are using and talking about Thunderbird? T'bird
    > calls them message filters. You can't automatically train them
    > like the junk mail filter, you have to manually create them.
    > Look at tools->message filters.
    >
    > Sadly T'bird's scoring has a long way to go, in fact I wouldn't
    > even call it scoring, it is only a simple filter. Mind you I
    > haven't used it extensively for usenet, I use slrn and more
    > recently mutt-ng on linux.
    >
    > For more info/help, try the alt.fan.mozilla group also.
    >
    > Cheers

    cool, thanks. I actually was thinking more for xnews on my pc haven't
    found anything but tbird for mac

    Brian, Aug 22, 2006
  5. Troy Piggins wrote:
    > * Mozilla Champion (Dan) <> :
    >> Troy Piggins wrote:
    >>> [crossposted to alt.fan.mozilla]

    >> Please do not crosspost thank you very much

    > Why not? The OP was asking a question about Thunderbird
    > scoring in another group, I thought this group might be more
    > relevant for him. It's on topic and not argumentative in any
    > way. I changed the subject heading to be more descriptive about
    > the posts content, and I clearly noted in the first line that I
    > had crossposted it.
    >
    > I fail to see anywhere that I did the wrong thing.
    >
    > Cheers

    Crossposting is to be avoided. If I want to read whats in another group,
    I will go to that group, not bring the group WITH me.

    I requested you dont crosspost - even said please. Whats the matter,
    polite requests bother you?

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 23, 2006
  6. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    Crossposting (Was: Scoring/filtering with Thunderbird)

    * Mozilla Champion (Dan) <> :
    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    > >* Mozilla Champion (Dan) <> :
    > >>Please do not crosspost thank you very much

    > >Why not? The OP was asking a question about Thunderbird
    > >scoring in another group, I thought this group might be more
    > >relevant for him. It's on topic and not argumentative in any
    > >way. I changed the subject heading to be more descriptive
    > >about the posts content, and I clearly noted in the first line
    > >that I had crossposted it. I fail to see anywhere that I did
    > >the wrong thing. Cheers

    > Crossposting is to be avoided.

    RFC1855 Netiquette Guidelines extract:

    "- If you feel an article will be of interest to more than one
    Newsgroup, be sure to CROSSPOST the article rather than
    individually post it to those groups. In general, probably only
    five-to-six groups will have similar enough interests to warrant
    this."

    I felt the OP's query might be better suited to a
    mozilla/thunderbird group so pointed him in the right direction
    here. It was only 2 groups I crossposted to, both on-topic.

    (As it turns out, the OP hasn't pursued a Thunderbird solution,
    and those subsequent discussions have /not/ been crossposted here
    since they are off-topic)

    Again, I fail to see what guidelines/rules I broke other than
    those in your head.

    > If I want to read whats in another group, I will go to that
    > group, not bring the group WITH me.

    Fine. But you should know that it's not *your* usenet. I'm free
    to post to whatever groups I think are relevant. Whether or not
    you choose to followup is your call.

    If you feel so strongly about crossposting, kill any posts to
    more than one group and be done with it.

    > I requested you dont crosspost - even said please. Whats the
    > matter, polite requests bother you?

    No. I noted your politeness and respect that. We're having a
    civil discussion about it now. I'm not trying to be
    argumentative - just pointing out that I have complied well
    within netiquette guidelines widely adopted.

    Cheers.

    --
    Troy Piggins
    ,-o
    o ) Ubuntu linux 6.06 http://ubuntu.com RLU#415538 http://counter.li.org
    `-o uptime: 13:39:08 up 6:03,1 user,load average:0.10,0.03,0.01

    Troy Piggins, Aug 23, 2006
  7. Troy Piggins

    gwtc Guest

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    >> * Mozilla Champion (Dan) <> :
    >>> Please do not crosspost thank you very much

    >> Why not? The OP was asking a question about Thunderbird
    >> scoring in another group, I thought this group might be more
    >> relevant for him. It's on topic and not argumentative in any
    >> way. I changed the subject heading to be more descriptive about
    >> the posts content, and I clearly noted in the first line that I
    >> had crossposted it.
    >>
    >> I fail to see anywhere that I did the wrong thing.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > Crossposting is to be avoided. If I want to read whats in another group,
    > I will go to that group, not bring the group WITH me.
    >
    > I requested you dont crosspost - even said please. Whats the matter,
    > polite requests bother you?

    Dan, the OP posted the message within one newsgroup:
    news.software.readers. The responder, Troy Piggins, replied to that
    message, but told the OP he would be better off in the alt.fan.mozilla
    newsgroup, and he posted to this newsgroup aswell as the other. What
    he should have done was put a followup to this newsgroup.

    --
    Files From The Not To Swift Department . . .

    Two blonde girls were working for the city public works department.
    One would dig a hole and the other would follow behind her and fill
    the hole in. They worked up one side of the street, then down the
    other, then moved onto the next street, working furiously all day
    without rest, one girl digging a hole, the other girl filling it in
    again. As an onlooker I was amazed at their hard work, but I couldn't
    understand what they were doing. So I asked the hole digger, “I'm
    impressed by the effort the two of you are putting into your work, but
    I don't get it -- why do you dig a hole, only to have your partner
    follow behind and fill it up again?” The hole digger wiped her brow
    and sighed, “Well, I suppose it probably looks odd because we're
    normally a three-person team. But today the girl who plants the trees
    called in sick.”

    gwtc, Aug 23, 2006
  8. On 2006-08-23, Mozilla Champion (Dan) <> wrote:

    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    >> * Mozilla Champion (Dan) <> :
    >>> Please do not crosspost thank you very much

    >> Why not? The OP was asking a question about Thunderbird
    >> scoring in another group, I thought this group might be more
    >> relevant for him. It's on topic and not argumentative in any
    >> way. I changed the subject heading to be more descriptive about
    >> the posts content, and I clearly noted in the first line that I
    >> had crossposted it.
    >>
    >> I fail to see anywhere that I did the wrong thing.

    > Crossposting is to be avoided. If I want to read whats in another group,
    > I will go to that group, not bring the group WITH me.

    There's nothing wrong with crossposting to a *limited number of
    appropriate* groups, which it appears the OP did. If it had been
    crossposted to something entirely off-topic, say "alt.autos.misc" or
    more than a select few groups then there would be a problem.

    *Multiposting* (posting the same message multiple times in different
    groups -- i.e. different Message-IDs in each group) is always a problem
    regardless of whether the groups are on-topic or not. Different
    Message-IDs mean that the message cannot be flagged as "read" in all the
    groups in which it appears. Crossposting avoids this by using the same
    Message-ID in each group. Reading the message in one group will allow a
    non-broken newsreader to flag it as "read" in all the groups in which it
    appears, so where's the problem?

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Aug 24, 2006
  9. John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2006-08-23, Mozilla Champion (Dan) <> wrote:
    >
    >> Troy Piggins wrote:
    >>> * Mozilla Champion (Dan) <> :
    >>> Why not? The OP was asking a question about Thunderbird
    >>> scoring in another group, I thought this group might be more
    >>> relevant for him. It's on topic and not argumentative in any
    >>> way. I changed the subject heading to be more descriptive about
    >>> the posts content, and I clearly noted in the first line that I
    >>> had crossposted it.
    >>>
    >>> I fail to see anywhere that I did the wrong thing.

    >> Crossposting is to be avoided. If I want to read whats in another group,
    >> I will go to that group, not bring the group WITH me.

    > There's nothing wrong with crossposting to a *limited number of
    > appropriate* groups, which it appears the OP did. If it had been
    > crossposted to something entirely off-topic, say "alt.autos.misc" or
    > more than a select few groups then there would be a problem.
    >
    > *Multiposting* (posting the same message multiple times in different
    > groups -- i.e. different Message-IDs in each group) is always a problem
    > regardless of whether the groups are on-topic or not. Different
    > Message-IDs mean that the message cannot be flagged as "read" in all the
    > groups in which it appears. Crossposting avoids this by using the same
    > Message-ID in each group. Reading the message in one group will allow a
    > non-broken newsreader to flag it as "read" in all the groups in which it
    > appears, so where's the problem?

    I made a polite request for the user not to crosspost. Did I say it was
    WRONG? Did I say there was a problem?

    I made a polite request. Live with it

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 24, 2006