SCOOP! Kodak make a camera i like!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kinga202NOSPAM@hotmail.com, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Mar 7, 2007

  2. On 08/03/2007 00:07, dixit:
    > I am up for a SuperZoom, but not ready for a SLR just yet
    > Seeing Kodak have just punched out the new Z712IS that is now on the
    > short list too.
    > Sorrow....NO AA batteries, its a pity, WHY?

    The Flash demo (red button under the camera photo) in the "features"
    speaks of 2 AA batteries.

    Cyrus

    cyrusthevirus, Mar 7, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Mar 8, 10:07 am, "" <>
    wrote:
    > I am up for a SuperZoom, but not ready for a SLR just yet
    >
    > Seeing Kodak have just punched out the new Z712IS that is now on the
    > short list too.
    >
    > Sorrow....NO AA batteries, its a pity, WHY?
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19/131/10689&p...
    >
    > Roll on Canon S4IS
    >
    > Kinga 202

    Me think foot_in_mouth, CRV3 is tipo AA or not?

    Why dont they just say ''AA" instead of a 3 cylinder haonda SUV?

    Cheers

    Kinga 202

    , Mar 7, 2007
  4. Charles Guest

    Charles, Mar 7, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Mar 8, 10:15 am, cyrusthevirus <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > On 08/03/2007 00:07, dixit:
    >
    > > I am up for a SuperZoom, but not ready for a SLR just yet
    > > Seeing Kodak have just punched out the new Z712IS that is now on the
    > > short list too.
    > > Sorrow....NO AA batteries, its a pity, WHY?

    > The Flash demo (red button under the camera photo) in the "features"
    > speaks of 2 AA batteries.
    >
    > Cyrus

    I had my mind set on the Finepix S700 [S5700 in OZ] as its going to
    kick of at $249

    Am cross that the S700 does not have the SuperCCD sensor, its been
    dropped from this new model

    But Kodak have come along for only $50 more and are offereing 12x not
    10x, IS, higher ISO, SMALLER size, fastest click to capture in the
    segment, high quality branded lens etc

    Unless the S4IS can blow this out of the water, its the short price
    fav. for next purchase

    Cheers

    Kinga 202

    , Mar 7, 2007
  6. ray Guest

    On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:07:20 -0800, wrote:

    > I am up for a SuperZoom, but not ready for a SLR just yet
    >
    > Seeing Kodak have just punched out the new Z712IS that is now on the
    > short list too.
    >
    > Sorrow....NO AA batteries, its a pity, WHY?
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19/131/10689&pq-locale=en_US
    >
    > Roll on Canon S4IS
    >
    > Kinga 202

    I got a Kodak P850 recently - quite pleased. It has: IS; decent EVF
    resolution; raw,tiff,jpg files; and a 12x zoom. Suggest you look at the P
    series - especially at the online store.

    ray, Mar 7, 2007
  7. ray Guest

    On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:47:27 -0800, wrote:

    > On Mar 8, 10:15 am, cyrusthevirus <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >> On 08/03/2007 00:07, dixit:
    >>
    >> > I am up for a SuperZoom, but not ready for a SLR just yet
    >> > Seeing Kodak have just punched out the new Z712IS that is now on the
    >> > short list too.
    >> > Sorrow....NO AA batteries, its a pity, WHY?

    >> The Flash demo (red button under the camera photo) in the "features"
    >> speaks of 2 AA batteries.
    >>
    >> Cyrus

    > I had my mind set on the Finepix S700 [S5700 in OZ] as its going to
    > kick of at $249
    >
    > Am cross that the S700 does not have the SuperCCD sensor, its been
    > dropped from this new model
    >
    > But Kodak have come along for only $50 more and are offereing 12x not
    > 10x, IS, higher ISO, SMALLER size, fastest click to capture in the
    > segment, high quality branded lens etc
    >
    > Unless the S4IS can blow this out of the water, its the short price
    > fav. for next purchase
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Kinga 202

    Before you buy any EVF camera I would strongly suggest you look through
    it. You'll find, for example, that the s31s has very low resolution -
    about 110k pixels. I consider the Kodak EVFs to be reasonable at 237k and
    I would not go much lower. YMMV.

    ray, Mar 8, 2007
  8. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mar 8, 10:07 am, "" <>
    > wrote:
    >> I am up for a SuperZoom, but not ready for a SLR just yet
    >>
    >> Seeing Kodak have just punched out the new Z712IS that is now on the
    >> short list too.
    >>
    >> Sorrow....NO AA batteries, its a pity, WHY?
    >>
    >> http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19/131/10689&p...
    >>
    >> Roll on Canon S4IS
    >>
    >> Kinga 202

    > Me think foot_in_mouth, CRV3 is tipo AA or not?
    >
    > Why dont they just say ''AA" instead of a 3 cylinder haonda SUV?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Kinga 202

    A CRV3 battery is a lithium disposable battery pack. It substitutes for
    two AA batteries, or Kodak's NIMH pack. If it uses a CRV3, then it can
    probably use AA batteries.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 8, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Mar 8, 1:29 pm, Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Mar 8, 10:07 am, "" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> I am up for a SuperZoom, but not ready for a SLR just yet

    > >> Seeing Kodak have just punched out the new Z712IS that is now on the
    > >> short list too.

    > >> Sorrow....NO AA batteries, its a pity, WHY?

    > >>http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19/131/10689&p...

    > >> Roll on Canon S4IS

    > >> Kinga 202

    > > Me think foot_in_mouth, CRV3 is tipo AA or not?

    > > Why dont they just say ''AA" instead of a 3 cylinder haonda SUV?

    > > Cheers

    > > Kinga 202

    > A CRV3 battery is a lithium disposable battery pack. It substitutes for
    > two AA batteries, or Kodak's NIMH pack. If it uses a CRV3, then it can
    > probably use AA batteries.- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks R/H i figured it out, must have had brain-fade, to many Fosters
    or something?

    I think it would be nice to be under the Kodak wing again, they have
    the best after sales support of any camera company in Australia, i
    support those who support fellow Aussies.

    THE question is, how much will that US$299 be over here?Hope Kodak
    AUS are sharp with the price, dont go way overboard as in the past
    with huge mark-up -v- USA, otherwise will get one of you guys to buy
    it and post it to me

    Cheers

    KINGA 202

    , Mar 8, 2007
  10. ray wrote:
    []
    > Before you buy any EVF camera I would strongly suggest you look
    > through it. You'll find, for example, that the s31s has very low
    > resolution - about 110k pixels. I consider the Kodak EVFs to be
    > reasonable at 237k and I would not go much lower. YMMV.

    This Kodak has: "high resolution (115k pixels) electronic, 100% field of
    view"

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 8, 2007
  11. Marvin Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Mar 8, 10:07 am, "" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> I am up for a SuperZoom, but not ready for a SLR just yet
    >>>
    >>> Seeing Kodak have just punched out the new Z712IS that is now on the
    >>> short list too.
    >>>
    >>> Sorrow....NO AA batteries, its a pity, WHY?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19/131/10689&p...
    >>>
    >>> Roll on Canon S4IS
    >>>
    >>> Kinga 202

    >> Me think foot_in_mouth, CRV3 is tipo AA or not?
    >>
    >> Why dont they just say ''AA" instead of a 3 cylinder haonda SUV?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Kinga 202
    >>

    > A CRV3 battery is a lithium disposable battery pack. It substitutes for
    > two AA batteries, or Kodak's NIMH pack. If it uses a CRV3, then it can
    > probably use AA batteries.

    The CRV3 set can't be recharged in a usual AA charger. But
    the camera can probably work with non-rechargable Li-ion
    batteries, which work for a long time, and aren't terribly
    expensive - a bit over $10 for four at Best Buy the last
    time I bought some..

    Marvin, Mar 8, 2007
  12. ray Guest

    On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 09:00:35 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    > []
    >> Before you buy any EVF camera I would strongly suggest you look
    >> through it. You'll find, for example, that the s31s has very low
    >> resolution - about 110k pixels. I consider the Kodak EVFs to be
    >> reasonable at 237k and I would not go much lower. YMMV.

    > This Kodak has: "high resolution (115k pixels) electronic, 100% field of
    > view"
    >
    > David

    I'm not sure about that particular model, but my P850 shows 115k pixel LCD
    - the EVF is 237k pixels - I think that one is similar. I much prefer a
    viewfinder to trying to make a stable platform with the camera held out at
    arm's length.

    ray, Mar 8, 2007
  13. J. Clarke Guest

    Marvin wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >>> Me think foot_in_mouth, CRV3 is tipo AA or not?
    >>>
    >>> Why dont they just say ''AA" instead of a 3 cylinder haonda SUV?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Kinga 202
    >>>

    >> A CRV3 battery is a lithium disposable battery pack. It substitutes
    >> for two AA batteries, or Kodak's NIMH pack. If it uses a CRV3, then
    >> it can probably use AA batteries.

    > The CRV3 set can't be recharged in a usual AA charger. But
    > the camera can probably work with non-rechargable Li-ion
    > batteries, which work for a long time, and aren't terribly
    > expensive - a bit over $10 for four at Best Buy the last
    > time I bought some..

    Non-rechargeable lithium, not lithium ion. All lithium batteries are
    not lithium ion. The 1.5 volt disposables most assuredly are not.

    It is possible to find rechargeable lithium ion CRV3 batteries but the
    capacity of the ones I've seen is relatively low, about half that of the
    best NiMH.

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Mar 8, 2007
  14. nathantw Guest

    Medium format digital is so expensive

    I just purchased a used Kodak DCS Pro Back Plus at what I thought was a good
    price and I had no idea what I was getting into. I figured I'd get one of
    those batteries that you use on those old camcorders, a CF card and I'd be
    shooting away. What I got instead is an instant money-hole. The back fits my
    Hasselblad 500c/m. Luckily the seller included a $400 cable. Unfortunately
    the cable is in bad shape. Argh. The back will fit my 553ELX but a $200
    cable is needed to fire the unit. I thought about getting a 555ELD but found
    that March isn't a good time for people selling it. So I'll pony up the
    $200. Then I found, to my disappointment, that it doesn't take those
    camcorder batteries but instead uses one of those Quantum or DCB batteries,
    or bricks as some put it. That'll put me back $400 - $700 with the
    appropriate cable attachment. Then there's the firewire cable that I need to
    hook up to my computer that didn't come with the camera back. Another $50,
    but most likely cheaper if I don't need the 10meter one. Then there's the CF
    card I need to purchase...

    So now I have a camera that looks like an octopus with all the cables
    reaching out and going here and there and everywhere. And it's become a huge
    investment. Overall though it'll still be a heck of a lot cheaper than a new
    Canon 16mp or Nikon 12.8 mp camera, but man, portability is definitely not
    going to be one of its strong points. No wonder all these medium format
    companies are coming out with integrated digital cameras. Oh, speaking of
    which, because of the smaller sensor I now have the 1.5x factor to deal
    with, meaning no more wide angle lens. Argh.

    So my great price for a medium format back will now be way over my intended
    budget. Sigh. Maybe I should have just bought a cheap 10mp SLR and sold the
    'blad. That way I wouldn't have cables coming out of every which way on my
    back. Then again, I may change my perspective when I finally shoot a picture
    or two. We'll see.

    All I see right now are $$$$ causing my bank account to go down, down, down.

    nathantw, Mar 9, 2007
  15. ink Guest

    Re: Medium format digital is so expensive

    "nathantw" write
    >I just purchased a used Kodak DCS Pro Back Plus at what I thought was a
    >good price and I had no idea what I was getting into. I figured I'd get one
    >of

    <SNIP>
    > All I see right now are $$$$ causing my bank account to go down, down,
    > down.

    Would you like some cheese with that whine?

    Cheers
    ink

    ink, Mar 9, 2007
  16. nathantw Guest

    "ink" <> wrote in message
    > Would you like some cheese with that whine?

    Please. ;-)

    I just felt like I bought a used car that needs a lot of work, though it's
    far from that.

    nathantw, Mar 9, 2007
  17. nathantw Guest

    "ink" <> wrote in message

    > "nathantw" write
    >>I just purchased a used Kodak DCS Pro Back Plus at what I thought was a
    >>good price and I had no idea what I was getting into. I figured I'd get
    >>one of

    > <SNIP>
    >> All I see right now are $$$$ causing my bank account to go down, down,
    >> down.

    > Would you like some cheese with that whine?

    To tell you the truth, the reason why I originally wrote the "whine" as you
    call it is because I wanted people who might be interested in a used Kodak
    DCS Pro Back Plus to know what "hidden costs" might be involved. If I had
    known outright that I would have had to pay for all those items I would have
    stopped and given the purchase more thought. The extra amount of money
    doesn't seem like a whole lot, but everything adds up and soon it becomes a
    really big investment.

    nathantw, Mar 9, 2007
  18. Re: Medium format digital is so expensive

    Next time try doing some research first. That is the one thing the internet
    is good for.

    TGC Ltd.

    The Grape Smasher Ltd., Mar 9, 2007
  19. Noons Guest

    Re: Medium format digital is so expensive

    On Mar 9, 4:13 pm, "nathantw" <>
    wrote:

    > All I see right now are $$$$ causing my bank account to go down, down, down.

    next time stick with film and get a darn good scanner.
    It's w-a-a-a-a-a-y cheaper than anything else you might think of
    in mf-digital. and it'll remain so for a long time.

    Noons, Mar 9, 2007
  20. ink Guest

    Re: Medium format digital is so expensive

    "nathantw" wrote...

    > "ink" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "nathantw" write
    >>>I just purchased a used Kodak DCS Pro Back Plus at what I thought was a
    >>>good price and I had no idea what I was getting into. I figured I'd get
    >>>one of

    >> <SNIP>
    >>> All I see right now are $$$$ causing my bank account to go down, down,
    >>> down.

    >> Would you like some cheese with that whine?

    > To tell you the truth, the reason why I originally wrote the "whine" as
    > you call it is because I wanted people who might be interested in a used
    > Kodak DCS Pro Back Plus to know what "hidden costs" might be involved. If
    > I had known outright that I would have had to pay for all those items I
    > would have stopped and given the purchase more thought. The extra amount
    > of money doesn't seem like a whole lot, but everything adds up and soon it
    > becomes a really big investment.

    On ebay, such a back (mint, apparently) goes for about USD 5K. At THAT price
    (hell, even at HALF of that!), a bit of research before you buy comes in
    handy.

    Cheers,
    ink

    ink, Mar 9, 2007