SCO

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Divine, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. Divine

    Divine Guest

    Hi, y'all.

    I've just noticed...

    sco.com is not using SCO Unix to host it's website - it's using Linux.

    And yet SCO has been in court against, of all corporations IBM, claiming
    (demonstrably falsely) that Linux contains source code copied directly
    from SCO Unix; and is also on record repudiating the GPL - the very
    license whereby it is alowed to use and modify Open Source software.

    If you still own shares in SCO Group, sell them now while they're still
    worth *something*.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."

    Divine, Aug 22, 2004

  2. Divine

    Peter Guest

    Divine wrote:
    > If you still own shares in SCO Group, sell them now while they're still
    > worth *something*.

    better be quick ...

    SCOX Weekly Stock Report for 2004

    Week Close Change Change Net
    Ending ($) ($) (%) (%)
    --------- ----- ------ ------ -----
    02-Jan-04 17.00 -0.42 -2.4% -2.4%
    09-Jan-04 17.10 0.10 0.6% -1.8%
    16-Jan-04 15.45 -1.65 -9.6% -11.3%
    23-Jan-04 15.71 0.26 1.7% -9.8%
    30-Jan-04 14.37 -1.34 -8.5% -17.5%
    06-Feb-04 13.75 -0.62 -4.3% -21.1%
    13-Feb-04 13.63 -0.12 -0.9% -21.8%
    20-Feb-04 13.84 0.21 1.5% -20.6%
    27-Feb-04 12.18 -1.66 -12.0% -30.1%
    05-Mar-04 11.50 -0.68 -5.6% -34.0%
    12-Mar-04 9.53 -1.97 -17.1% -45.3%
    19-Mar-04 8.71 -0.82 -8.6% -50.0%
    26-Mar-04 8.82 0.11 1.3% -49.4%
    02-Apr-04 9.50 0.68 7.7% -45.5%
    09-Apr-04 10.55 1.05 11.1% -39.4%
    16-Apr-04 8.37 -2.18 -20.7% -52.0%
    23-Apr-04 7.85 -0.52 -6.2% -54.9%
    30-Apr-04 6.26 -1.59 -20.3% -64.1%
    07-May-04 5.99 -0.27 -4.3% -65.6%
    14-May-04 5.15 -0.84 -14.0% -70.4%
    21-May-04 4.75 -0.40 -7.8% -72.7%
    28-May-04 5.19 0.44 9.3% -70.2%
    04-Jun-04 5.10 -0.09 -1.7% -70.7%
    11-Jun-04 4.89 -0.21 -4.1% -71.9%
    18-Jun-04 5.03 0.14 2.9% -71.1%
    25-Jun-04 5.40 0.37 7.4% -69.0%
    02-Jul-04 5.10 -0.30 -5.6% -70.7%
    09-Jul-04 5.00 -0.10 -2.0% -71.3%
    16-Jul-04 4.80 -0.20 -4.0% -72.4%
    23-Jul-04 4.20 -0.60 -12.5% -75.9%
    30-Jul-04 4.54 0.34 8.1% -73.9%
    06-Aug-04 4.60 0.06 1.3% -73.6%
    13-Aug-04 4.05 -0.55 -12.0% -76.8%
    20-Aug-04 4.00 -0.05 -1.2% -77.0%

    (from a post on cola)

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 22, 2004

  3. Divine

    thing Guest

    Divine wrote:
    > Hi, y'all.
    >
    > I've just noticed...
    >
    > sco.com is not using SCO Unix to host it's website - it's using Linux.
    >
    > And yet SCO has been in court against, of all corporations IBM, claiming
    > (demonstrably falsely) that Linux contains source code copied directly
    > from SCO Unix; and is also on record repudiating the GPL - the very
    > license whereby it is alowed to use and modify Open Source software.
    >
    > If you still own shares in SCO Group, sell them now while they're still
    > worth *something*.
    >

    > Divine

    I think SCO's web site is load balanced with a provider such that they
    cannot go down under an "attack" (previous comments suggest incompetancy
    by the sys admins at SCO and not attacks).

    Seems that provider uses Linux because of its availability and
    security..just how long do you think a site running IIS with SCO on it
    would keep the script kiddies out?

    ;]

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Aug 22, 2004
  4. Divine

    thing Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Divine wrote:
    >
    >>If you still own shares in SCO Group, sell them now while they're still
    >>worth *something*.

    > better be quick ...
    >
    > SCOX Weekly Stock Report for 2004
    >
    > Week Close Change Change Net
    > Ending ($) ($) (%) (%)
    > --------- ----- ------ ------ -----
    > 02-Jan-04 17.00 -0.42 -2.4% -2.4%
    > 09-Jan-04 17.10 0.10 0.6% -1.8%
    > 16-Jan-04 15.45 -1.65 -9.6% -11.3%
    > 23-Jan-04 15.71 0.26 1.7% -9.8%
    > 30-Jan-04 14.37 -1.34 -8.5% -17.5%
    > 06-Feb-04 13.75 -0.62 -4.3% -21.1%
    > 13-Feb-04 13.63 -0.12 -0.9% -21.8%
    > 20-Feb-04 13.84 0.21 1.5% -20.6%
    > 27-Feb-04 12.18 -1.66 -12.0% -30.1%
    > 05-Mar-04 11.50 -0.68 -5.6% -34.0%
    > 12-Mar-04 9.53 -1.97 -17.1% -45.3%
    > 19-Mar-04 8.71 -0.82 -8.6% -50.0%
    > 26-Mar-04 8.82 0.11 1.3% -49.4%
    > 02-Apr-04 9.50 0.68 7.7% -45.5%
    > 09-Apr-04 10.55 1.05 11.1% -39.4%
    > 16-Apr-04 8.37 -2.18 -20.7% -52.0%
    > 23-Apr-04 7.85 -0.52 -6.2% -54.9%
    > 30-Apr-04 6.26 -1.59 -20.3% -64.1%
    > 07-May-04 5.99 -0.27 -4.3% -65.6%
    > 14-May-04 5.15 -0.84 -14.0% -70.4%
    > 21-May-04 4.75 -0.40 -7.8% -72.7%
    > 28-May-04 5.19 0.44 9.3% -70.2%
    > 04-Jun-04 5.10 -0.09 -1.7% -70.7%
    > 11-Jun-04 4.89 -0.21 -4.1% -71.9%
    > 18-Jun-04 5.03 0.14 2.9% -71.1%
    > 25-Jun-04 5.40 0.37 7.4% -69.0%
    > 02-Jul-04 5.10 -0.30 -5.6% -70.7%
    > 09-Jul-04 5.00 -0.10 -2.0% -71.3%
    > 16-Jul-04 4.80 -0.20 -4.0% -72.4%
    > 23-Jul-04 4.20 -0.60 -12.5% -75.9%
    > 30-Jul-04 4.54 0.34 8.1% -73.9%
    > 06-Aug-04 4.60 0.06 1.3% -73.6%
    > 13-Aug-04 4.05 -0.55 -12.0% -76.8%
    > 20-Aug-04 4.00 -0.05 -1.2% -77.0%
    >
    > (from a post on cola)
    >

    > Peter

    IBM's motions are just days away....bye bye SCO....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Aug 22, 2004
  5. Divine

    Steven H Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:07:06 +1200, thing wrote:

    > Divine wrote:
    >> Hi, y'all.
    >>
    >> I've just noticed...
    >>
    >> sco.com is not using SCO Unix to host it's website - it's using Linux.
    >>
    >> And yet SCO has been in court against, of all corporations IBM, claiming
    >> (demonstrably falsely) that Linux contains source code copied directly
    >> from SCO Unix; and is also on record repudiating the GPL - the very
    >> license whereby it is alowed to use and modify Open Source software.
    >>
    >> If you still own shares in SCO Group, sell them now while they're still
    >> worth *something*.
    >>

    >> Divine
    >>

    > I think SCO's web site is load balanced with a provider such that they
    > cannot go down under an "attack" (previous comments suggest incompetancy
    > by the sys admins at SCO and not attacks).
    >
    > Seems that provider uses Linux because of its availability and
    > security..just how long do you think a site running IIS with SCO on it
    > would keep the script kiddies out?
    >
    > ;]

    the likes of microsoft seem to be able to do it

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

    ..net Geek

    Steven H, Aug 22, 2004
  6. Divine

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:44:18 +1200, Steven H
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:07:06 +1200, thing wrote:
    >
    >> Divine wrote:
    >>> Hi, y'all.
    >>>
    >>> I've just noticed...
    >>>
    >>> sco.com is not using SCO Unix to host it's website - it's using Linux.
    >>>
    >>> And yet SCO has been in court against, of all corporations IBM, claiming
    >>> (demonstrably falsely) that Linux contains source code copied directly
    >>> from SCO Unix; and is also on record repudiating the GPL - the very
    >>> license whereby it is alowed to use and modify Open Source software.
    >>>
    >>> If you still own shares in SCO Group, sell them now while they're still
    >>> worth *something*.
    >>>

    >>> Divine
    >>>

    >> I think SCO's web site is load balanced with a provider such that they
    >> cannot go down under an "attack" (previous comments suggest incompetancy
    >> by the sys admins at SCO and not attacks).
    >>
    >> Seems that provider uses Linux because of its availability and
    >> security..just how long do you think a site running IIS with SCO on it
    >> would keep the script kiddies out?
    >>
    >> ;]

    >the likes of microsoft seem to be able to do it

    ROTFL

    Bret, Aug 23, 2004
  7. Divine

    Steven H Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:26:18 +1200, Bret wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:44:18 +1200, Steven H
    > <> wrote:

    >>> I think SCO's web site is load balanced with a provider such that they
    >>> cannot go down under an "attack" (previous comments suggest incompetancy
    >>> by the sys admins at SCO and not attacks).
    >>>
    >>> Seems that provider uses Linux because of its availability and
    >>> security..just how long do you think a site running IIS with SCO on it
    >>> would keep the script kiddies out?
    >>>
    >>> ;]

    >>the likes of microsoft seem to be able to do it

    > ROTFL

    last i knew microsoft.com was hosted on iis

    Steven H, Aug 23, 2004
  8. Divine

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:58:13 +1200, Steven H
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:26:18 +1200, Bret wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:44:18 +1200, Steven H
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>the likes of microsoft seem to be able to do it

    >> ROTFL

    >last i knew microsoft.com was hosted on iis

    And they are regularly reamed.

    Bret, Aug 23, 2004
  9. Divine

    Tim Guest

    Are they? How often? How severely?

    It would be really interesting to see what statistics there may be including
    big things such as DOS attacks (attempts and failures), DDOS, Spoofing
    attacks, etc. etc. etc. then to drill down to common things nowadays such as
    specific worm attack attempts per second per IP address, attack attempts by
    exploit type and so on.

    I have little doubt that the MS sites may have the most alarming statistics
    of any site in the world. But somehow, for the number of web pages served
    per second, the number of gigabytes of downloads per second, how would this
    compare? Quite favourably I think. So your local ISP is secure because it
    runs what? It really begs the question, if MS is getting attacked, how
    often, how many successes, how many failures, what they use, what they do to
    manage the situation... how often they follow up with prosecutions... how
    often they burst out laughing... "look at that: some idiot in NZ is trying a
    smurf attack! Ha ha ha ha ha".

    I think it would make a good book or two.

    As for those SCO stocks. This is either the time to get out, or the time to
    get in.

    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 23, 2004
  10. Divine

    Divine Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:07:06 +1200, thing wrote:

    > Seems that provider uses Linux because of its availability and
    > security..just how long do you think a site running IIS with SCO on it
    > would keep the script kiddies out?
    >
    > ;]

    LOLOLOL

    Coupla hours? ;o)

    Divine

    --
    43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
    and everything.

    Divine, Aug 23, 2004
  11. Divine

    Divine Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:59:46 +1200, Tim wrote:

    > I have little doubt that the MS sites may have the most alarming
    > statistics of any site in the world. But somehow, for the number of web
    > pages served per second, the number of gigabytes of downloads per
    > second, how would this compare? Quite favourably I think.

    I am not convinced that amount of data transferred from a server is
    relevant when considering the number of times it is compromised
    by attackers.

    I think what is more important is whether or no the site is compromised
    more than once in the same way.

    > As for those SCO stocks. This is either the time to get out, or the time
    > to get in.

    Definitely time to get out.

    Actually, the time to get out was near the beginning of the year.

    Now it's time to get out while you can still get *something*.

    Divine

    --
    "What some people have against Open Source Software is what Fundamentalist
    Christians or Moslems have against Knowledge."

    Divine, Aug 23, 2004
  12. Divine

    Cheetah Guest

    Standing in the way of open source is a little like playing chicken with a
    oncoming train.

    Cheetah, Aug 23, 2004
  13. Divine

    Steve Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:26:18 +1200, Bret wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:44:18 +1200, Steven H
    >><> wrote:

    >>>the likes of microsoft seem to be able to do it

    >>ROTFL

    > last i knew microsoft.com was hosted on iis

    Not much of it. Mostly Linux/Apache.

    Steve, Aug 23, 2004
  14. Divine

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:46:24 +1200, Steve wrote:

    >> last i knew microsoft.com was hosted on iis
    >>

    > Not much of it. Mostly Linux/Apache.

    Not really.

    It is hosted on IIS.

    What you are seeing is the servers Akamai use to distribute the content
    around the world use a lot of Linux.

    Even then I think MS might have recently done some deal so that Akamai can
    use IIS - but I could have that bit completely wrong.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 23, 2004
  15. Divine

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:29:48 +1200, Divine wrote:

    > I am not convinced that amount of data transferred from a server is
    > relevant when considering the number of times it is compromised by
    > attackers.

    When you come down to it the security of a web server is mostly down to
    the diligence of the admin and the security of the web applications
    running on it - eg running PHPNuke is asking for trouble.

    The web server itself is very rarely the way in these days.

    > I think what is more important is whether or no the site is compromised
    > more than once in the same way.

    Wouldn't that be more an indictment of the admin?

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 23, 2004
  16. AD. wrote:
    >>>last i knew microsoft.com was hosted on iis

    >>Not much of it. Mostly Linux/Apache.

    > Not really.
    > It is hosted on IIS.
    > What you are seeing is the servers Akamai use to distribute the content
    > around the world use a lot of Linux.
    > Even then I think MS might have recently done some deal so that Akamai can
    > use IIS - but I could have that bit completely wrong.

    there were some funny stats for microsoft.com showing IIS running on
    Linux. ?Bit odd to see if you didn't "get it"

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 24, 2004
  17. Divine

    steve Guest

    Cheetah wrote:

    > Standing in the way of open source is a little like playing chicken with a
    > oncoming train.

    Or maybe a large swarm of grumpy and very determined bees.

    Each one small, but as a whole unstoppable.

    steve, Aug 24, 2004
  18. Divine

    Divine Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:46:24 +1200, Steve wrote:

    >> last i knew microsoft.com was hosted on iis
    >>

    > Not much of it. Mostly Linux/Apache.

    <snigger>

    Micro$oft doesn't think it's own server software is up to the task!

    Nice!

    Divine

    --
    Micro$oft Knowledge Base: "When you try to shut down your Microsoft Windows
    XP-based or Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer, the computer may stop

    Divine, Aug 24, 2004
  19. Divine

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:26:48 +1200, AD. wrote:

    >> I think what is more important is whether or no the site is compromised
    >> more than once in the same way.

    > Wouldn't that be more an indictment of the admin?

    Yes indeed.

    Divine

    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"

    Divine, Aug 24, 2004