SCO really has nothing?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Apr 6, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    ".......In short, well into our third year of this litigation, SCO still
    won't tell us what the case is about. IBM clearly isn't impressed with
    the list and asks the court to toss out the 198 items, which is the bulk
    of the list. Take a look at the chart IBM provides as Addendum B
    attached to the Memorandum and to the Randall Davis Declaration and
    you'll see what IBM is talking about. That's it, I hear you asking?
    That's all there is? After years of discovery we thought would never
    end, this is it? They have essentially nothing?

    Why in the world would you seal a list of Linux files, which are already
    out there, in public view? Maybe SCO filed under seal because they were
    afraid we'd die laughing.

    IBM, however, is not laughing. They are asking for sanctions for what
    they call SCO's willful disobedience to the court's numerous discovery
    orders. That's the best they call it. They say they think it adds up to
    bad faith."

    So I wonder if IBM will get/wants to have a bite at SOC's
    jugular......looks like it.....add in if IBM is claiming bad faith now,
    when SCOs case falls apart (lets assume this) how far is IBM going to go
    to recover its losses and damage to its business?

    3~4 years, 10s of millions lost in defending a case that is showing no
    merit, indeed actual attempts to damage IBM's and others reputations.......

    I think if it was me and I had gone this far, I'd go the whole hog at
    the end of it and sue SCO for damages and losses.

    My reasoning is it has gone beyond actual monitary value today, if IBM
    pussy foots, lots of other fly by night fancy lawyers / patent holders
    are going to try their hand, worst case they dont get anything........on
    the other hand pursue SCO to the limits of the law and any other wood
    lice are going to think twice beofre bringing out a wistful case........

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 6, 2006

  2. thingy

    Peter Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > IBM, however, is not laughing. They are asking for sanctions for what
    > they call SCO's willful disobedience to the court's numerous discovery
    > orders. That's the best they call it. They say they think it adds up to
    > bad faith."

    IBM is going to want tomeone to recompense them for the money the case has
    cost them so far - they are after a very deep pocket - Redmond.

    Peter, Apr 7, 2006

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >

    >>IBM, however, is not laughing. They are asking for sanctions for what
    >>they call SCO's willful disobedience to the court's numerous discovery
    >>orders. That's the best they call it. They say they think it adds up to
    >>bad faith."
    >>

    > IBM is going to want tomeone to recompense them for the money the case has
    > cost them so far - they are after a very deep pocket - Redmond.

    I suspect they will find MS is sufficiently distanced that that is
    unlikely, note Sun paid up as well.

    More likely casulties will be Canopy, the SCO directors and Bank of
    Canada? from the PIPE deal...

    When/If they get hammered I will be a happy chappy.....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 7, 2006
  4. thingy

    aum Guest

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:28:13 +1200, thingy wrote:
    > More likely casulties will be Canopy, the SCO directors and Bank of
    > Canada? from the PIPE deal...

    When Darl McBride gets arraigned, it'll be too late to snap up the
    remaining shorting stock.

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, Apr 7, 2006
  5. On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 08:50:05 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > My reasoning is it has gone beyond actual monitary value today, if IBM
    > pussy foots, lots of other fly by night fancy lawyers / patent holders
    > are going to try their hand, worst case they dont get anything........on
    > the other hand pursue SCO to the limits of the law and any other wood
    > lice are going to think twice beofre bringing out a wistful case........

    Yeah - that's most likely the reason why IBM chose to did in its heals on
    this.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Martin Taylor, GM of platform strategy at Microsoft: "We found
    that the Linux environment provided about 15 percent more end

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 7, 2006
  6. thingy

    thingy Guest

    aum wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:28:13 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >
    >>More likely casulties will be Canopy, the SCO directors and Bank of
    >>Canada? from the PIPE deal...

    > When Darl McBride gets arraigned, it'll be too late to snap up the
    > remaining shorting stock.

    I find it interesting that so many people jumped on the SCO band wagon
    because of the huge potential profits before amiing any educated
    assessment of the deal.....pure greed, if it looks too good it often is.....

    Given Dear Darls's big mouth I will find it hard to believe if he is not
    bankrupt by the end of this saga.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 7, 2006
  7. thingy

    Peter Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>

    >>>IBM, however, is not laughing. They are asking for sanctions for what
    >>>they call SCO's willful disobedience to the court's numerous discovery
    >>>orders. That's the best they call it. They say they think it adds up to
    >>>bad faith."
    >>>

    >> IBM is going to want tomeone to recompense them for the money the case
    >> has cost them so far - they are after a very deep pocket - Redmond.
    >>

    > I suspect they will find MS is sufficiently distanced that that is
    > unlikely, note Sun paid up as well.

    I think they are looking, they unearthed some E-mails between Darl of SCO
    and Microsoft. There is a vast reward if they can nail Microsoft. Since
    Yarrow and SCO were cut adrift from Canopy (Yarrow was basically given
    Canopy's shares in SCO as redundancy pay - Canopy probably regarded the
    shares as a liability, Yarrow in his fairyland dreams would regard them as
    valuable), I would not be too surprised if Canopy and IBM has come to some
    arrangements already so Canopy no longer has such a liability over its
    head.

    Peter, Apr 7, 2006