    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jul 9, 2006

  2. "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > http://www.networkworld.com/weblogs/smb/2006/012903.html
    >
    > "" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
    > would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
    > system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""

    With K12 the central server does hardly any work in the 1st place as it
    just acts as a fileserver.machine to boot from for ther others. You could
    replace
    the Linux machine with a windows machine to do the same type of purpose.

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Jul 9, 2006

  3. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:37:42 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > With K12 the central server does hardly any work in the 1st place as it
    > just acts as a fileserver.machine to boot from for ther others. You could
    > replace
    > the Linux machine with a windows machine to do the same type of purpose.

    Not without paying lots of dosh to get a version of Windoze somewhat
    capable of doing that.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jul 9, 2006
  4. T'was the Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:34:06 +1200 when I remembered MaHogany
    <> saying something like this:

    >"" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
    >would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
    >system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""

    I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
    would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
    amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
    charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
    limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
    external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
    students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
    compelling enough, but perhaps not.

    I would use K12LTSP as well, for best bang for buck. I really am sick
    of all companies taking advantage of educational institutions. Some
    are better than other with educational discounts, but others just milk
    those schools for all they're worth.

    PS - this is no endorsement of your crusade, just picking the best
    technology for the solution.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jul 9, 2006
  5. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:36:29 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
    > would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
    > amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
    > charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
    > limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
    > external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
    > students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
    > compelling enough, but perhaps not.

    Why can't a scanner (or any other external device for that matter) be
    attatched to a thin client?

    So it would take a while to scan something in and store on the server.

    With a gigabit LAN it would hardly matter.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jul 9, 2006
  6. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:36:29 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > PS - this is no endorsement of your crusade, just picking the best
    > technology for the solution.

    What "crusade" is that?

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jul 9, 2006
  7. T'was the Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:56:40 +1200 when I remembered MaHogany
    <> saying something like this:

    >Why can't a scanner (or any other external device for that matter) be
    >attatched to a thin client?
    >
    >So it would take a while to scan something in and store on the server.
    >
    >With a gigabit LAN it would hardly matter.

    Drivers to interface between terminal client and terminal server.
    Actually physical ports on terminal client and scanner. And it would
    hardly matter if a few users start eating bandwidth making other
    user's machines unresponsive. Would be a far better option to perhaps
    have one or two dedicated stand alone PCs for scanning, burning CDs or
    whatever, per say a pod of terminal clients.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jul 9, 2006
  8. MaHogany

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-07-09, Waylon Kenning <> wrote:
    > T'was the Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:34:06 +1200 when I remembered MaHogany
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>"" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
    >>would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
    >>system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""

    > I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
    > would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
    > amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
    > charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
    > limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
    > external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
    > students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
    > compelling enough, but perhaps not.

    yeah like does every student need a scanner?
    stick a pc somewhere in each classroom with a scanner, that should be enough.

    > I would use K12LTSP as well,

    LTSP? there's some non-intel thin client hartware out there
    that can run X, some guy was selling a bunc on trademe last month
    (it also ran wince based windows thin client stuff which he had it
    advertised as)

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Jul 9, 2006
  9. MaHogany

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-07-09, MaHogany <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:36:29 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    >> I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
    >> would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
    >> amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
    >> charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
    >> limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
    >> external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
    >> students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
    >> compelling enough, but perhaps not.

    > Why can't a scanner (or any other external device for that matter) be
    > attatched to a thin client?

    depends on the hardware, if it's a PC it should be possible, if not....

    jasen, Jul 9, 2006
  10. MaHogany

    shannon Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:34:06 +1200 when I remembered MaHogany
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> "" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
    >> would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
    >> system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""

    > I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
    > would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
    > amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
    > charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
    > limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
    > external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
    > students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
    > compelling enough, but perhaps not.
    >
    > I would use K12LTSP as well, for best bang for buck. I really am sick
    > of all companies taking advantage of educational institutions. Some
    > are better than other with educational discounts, but others just milk
    > those schools for all they're worth.
    >
    > PS - this is no endorsement of your crusade, just picking the best
    > technology for the solution.

    I noticed some pretty attractively priced HP thin clients on ascents site
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=343149
    It would cut down on power consumption and noise.
    shannon, Jul 9, 2006
  11. MaHogany

    thingy Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:34:06 +1200 when I remembered MaHogany
    > <> saying something like this:
    >

    >>"" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
    >>would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
    >>system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""

    > I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
    > would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
    > amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
    > charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
    > limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
    > external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
    > students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
    > compelling enough, but perhaps not.
    >
    > I would use K12LTSP as well, for best bang for buck. I really am sick
    > of all companies taking advantage of educational institutions. Some
    > are better than other with educational discounts, but others just milk
    > those schools for all they're worth.
    >
    > PS - this is no endorsement of your crusade, just picking the best
    > technology for the solution.

    The one solution I liked was one beefy workstation, with 6 graphics
    cards, USB keyboards amd mice all attached via USB.....because the
    machine is local and you have USB hubs....scanners etc are real easy (in
    hardware terms...) glueing it all together is a bit harder...

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 9, 2006
  12. MaHogany

    thingy Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.networkworld.com/weblogs/smb/2006/012903.html
    >>
    >>"" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
    >>would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
    >>system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""
    >>

    > With K12 the central server does hardly any work in the 1st place as it
    > just acts as a fileserver.machine to boot from for ther others. You could
    > replace
    > the Linux machine with a windows machine to do the same type of purpose.
    >
    > Thanks

    yes with horrendious licencing costs.....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 9, 2006
  13. MaHogany

    thingy Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:34:06 +1200 when I remembered MaHogany
    > <> saying something like this:
    >

    >>"" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
    >>would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
    >>system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""

    > I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
    > would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
    > amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
    > charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
    > limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
    > external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
    > students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
    > compelling enough, but perhaps not.
    >
    > I would use K12LTSP as well, for best bang for buck. I really am sick
    > of all companies taking advantage of educational institutions. Some
    > are better than other with educational discounts, but others just milk
    > those schools for all they're worth.
    >
    > PS - this is no endorsement of your crusade, just picking the best
    > technology for the solution.

    DSE do a hard drive replacement flash card type thing that allows thin
    client pretty easy, should allow directly attached scanning as well.

    regards

    Steven
    thingy, Jul 9, 2006
  14. MaHogany

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:06:52 +0000, jasen wrote:

    >> I was considering upgrading a school with terminal clients. I think it
    >> would give students best bang for buck in terms of increasing the
    >> amount of computer access to average students, but the company in
    >> charge of the IT at the school had the argument that terminal clients
    >> limit the things students can do with the machines, they can't use
    >> external devices, no scanners, etc... I thought the argument of
    >> students having a terminal client vs. not having a computer at all was
    >> compelling enough, but perhaps not.

    > yeah like does every student need a scanner?
    > stick a pc somewhere in each classroom with a scanner, that should be enough.

    Whoever said "one scanner per student"?

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jul 10, 2006
  15. In article <>,
    MaHogany <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:36:29 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    >> PS - this is no endorsement of your crusade, just picking the best
    >> technology for the solution.

    >What "crusade" is that?

    Especially since "crusade" is the Christian equivalent of "jihad" ...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 14, 2006
  16. In article <44b05ff5$>,
    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:

    >"MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.networkworld.com/weblogs/smb/2006/012903.html
    >>
    >> "" You probably agree with me that running Windows XP on a 1.4GHz PIII
    >> would make that user unhappy. And yet that's the server for the Linux
    >> system driving 16 stations (they'll double that next year). ""

    >With K12 the central server does hardly any work in the 1st place as it
    >just acts as a fileserver.machine to boot from for ther others. You could
    >replace
    >the Linux machine with a windows machine to do the same type of purpose.

    Except you can't turn off the excess Windows overhead--it's a
    monolithic, all-or-nothing, feature-laden OS. Which is why Microsoft
    would NOT recommend running such a Windows-based server on such hardware.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 14, 2006