    involvement.
    Anyone with knowledge or pointers?

    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Aug 24, 2004

  2. KiwiBrian

    frederick Guest

    frederick, Aug 25, 2004

  3. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    news:1093402669.786596@ftpsrv1...

    > "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    > > I am interested in what facilities/programs etc are available to small
    > > schools that might wish to have an interactive facility for pupil
    > > involvement.
    > > Anyone with knowledge or pointers?
    > >
    > > Brian Tozer
    > >

    > you could start by looking here:

    http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?layout=index&indexID=1024&indexparentid=1072

    Thankyou very much Frederick.
    Exactly what I was looking for.
    Also in hearing from anyone with familiarity with the subject as far as
    small schools are concerned.
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Aug 25, 2004
  4. KiwiBrian

    frederick Guest

    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message

    > "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    > > > I am interested in what facilities/programs etc are available to small
    > > > schools that might wish to have an interactive facility for pupil
    > > > involvement.
    > > > Anyone with knowledge or pointers?
    > > >
    > > > Brian Tozer
    > > >

    > > you could start by looking here:

    http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?layout=index&indexID=1024&indexparentid=1072

    > Thankyou very much Frederick.
    > Exactly what I was looking for.
    > Also in hearing from anyone with familiarity with the subject as far as
    > small schools are concerned.
    > Brian Tozer

    Sorry - I'm not familiar with small schools. I am familiar with teachers
    though. One observation of mine is that (with exceptions), the ability to
    "teach" (impart knowledge in an effective way) and the ability to "understand
    computers" are mutually exclusive. Perhaps that explains problems such as low
    IT literacy in teachers, and the universal hatred of IT Help Desk staff. Many
    involved in education, including at tertiary level, seem to suffer the
    misunderstanding that IT should be used as a resource, not a method - except
    perhaps for the few that want to have a career in the industry.

    frederick, Aug 25, 2004
  5. KiwiBrian

    Bob McLellan Guest

    For firewall security get a secondhand PIII machine and run Smoothwall.

    Bob McLellan, Aug 25, 2004
  6. In article <cgh0p0$a74$> in nz.comp on Wed, 25 Aug 2004
    15:24:22 +1200, KiwiBrian <> says...

    > "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    > > > I am interested in what facilities/programs etc are available to small
    > > > schools that might wish to have an interactive facility for pupil
    > > > involvement.
    > > > Anyone with knowledge or pointers?
    > > >
    > > > Brian Tozer
    > > >

    > > you could start by looking here:
    > >

    > http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?layout=index&indexID=1024&indexparentid=1072
    >
    > Thankyou very much Frederick.
    > Exactly what I was looking for.
    > Also in hearing from anyone with familiarity with the subject as far as
    > small schools are concerned.

    This outfit does a complete Linux server package for schools, including
    filtered internet access

    http://www.smartcom.co.nz/

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 26, 2004