schizophrenic Dell Desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff Wisnia, Aug 3, 2006.

  1. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    I bought a Dell descktop machine (from Dell) about six months ago.

    I haven't had to restore any part of the operating system.

    But, starting today, when I powered up that computer the name E MACHINES
    in large block letters briefly flashed on the screen right after I hit
    the power button. And it does the same every time I shut it down and
    power up again.

    The computer is located where it's very unlikely a prankster got to it
    and substituted an image file.

    My curious mind wants to know, is it possible that Dell could have built
    the machine with something in the BIOS or operating system which could
    allow that to happen, or did I maybe receive a prank virus which is
    changed something?

    All seems well with that computer otherwise.

    Thanks guys,

    Jeff
    --
    Jeffry Wisnia
    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    Jeff Wisnia, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    Re: schizophrenic Dell Desktop - Fughedit!

    Total brain fart on my part.

    A couple of my employees shifted their working spaces around and ended
    up swapping their computers in the process.

    It WAS an e-Machine, but the lady using it had a Dell previously and
    thought she still had one. I believed her without bending down to take a
    look at the front of the machine which was tucked in a workstation cubby
    near floor level.

    I think it may be time to consider retiring....

    Jeff
    --
    Jeffry Wisnia
    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    Jeff Wisnia, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Re: schizophrenic Dell Desktop - Fughedit!

    "Jeff Wisnia" <> wrote in message
    > Total brain fart on my part.
    >
    > A couple of my employees shifted their working spaces around and ended up
    > swapping their computers in the process.
    >
    > It WAS an e-Machine, but the lady using it had a Dell previously and
    > thought she still had one. I believed her without bending down to take a
    > look at the front of the machine which was tucked in a workstation cubby
    > near floor level.
    >
    > I think it may be time to consider retiring....
    >
    > Jeff
    > --

    Bet you would have gotten down for a look if she had nice legs ;-)

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Aug 3, 2006