SCHINDLER'S LIST TO BE A (DVD-18) FLIPPER?!?!?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Joseph S. Powell, III, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Just read this in thedigitalbits:

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

    "10/21/03

    This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street for
    Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in the know
    is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March 9th of next
    year. "

    Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more sense
    for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
    I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up, but
    does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get up
    as well?
    Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip the
    disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!
    Besides, aren't DVD-18's a rarity these days?
    I think the only ones I have in my collection are T2-UE, and The Stand.
    I certainly hope thedigitalbits was wrong about this one - a 2-disc set
    makes much more sense!

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Joseph S. Powell, III

    luminos Guest

    "Joseph S. Powell, III" <> wrote in message
    > Just read this in thedigitalbits:
    >
    > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
    >
    > "10/21/03
    >
    > This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street for
    > Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in the know
    > is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March 9th of next
    > year. "
    >

    > Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more sense
    > for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?

    No.

    > I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up,

    but
    > does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get up
    > as well?

    Lazy? You won't have to.

    > Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip

    the
    > disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!
    > Besides, aren't DVD-18's a rarity these days?

    Not particularly.

    luminos, Oct 30, 2003

  3. "luminos" <> wrote in message

    > "Joseph S. Powell, III" <> wrote in message
    > > Just read this in thedigitalbits:
    > >
    > > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
    > >
    > > "10/21/03
    > >
    > > This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street

    for
    > > Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in the

    know
    > > is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March 9th of

    next
    > > year. "
    > >

    > > Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more

    sense
    > > for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?

    > No.
    >
    > > I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up,

    > but
    > > does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get

    up
    > > as well?

    > Lazy? You won't have to.

    I won't have to?
    By that (and I'm hope I'm guessing right) it sounds like the movie will be
    all on one side, then the special features (a ton of them) on the other - is
    this the case, where did you hear it from?

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
    > Just read this in thedigitalbits:
    >
    > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
    >
    > "10/21/03
    >
    > This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street for
    > Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in the know
    > is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March 9th of next
    > year. "
    >

    > Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more sense
    > for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
    > I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up, but
    > does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get up
    > as well?
    > Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip the
    > disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!

    ....Okayyy, we've got "DVD-18", now remind us where "flipper" appeared in
    the article, again?

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message

    > ...Okayyy, we've got "DVD-18", now remind us where "flipper" appeared in
    > the article, again?

    Even if it is to be a flipper, what's the big deal about it? You only need
    to get up once in a three hour period to, press the open button, flip the
    disc over, press the close button which is almost always the same button as
    the open button, press play and go back to your couch again. Is this such
    an ordeal in life?

    Goldfinger, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "Joseph S. Powell, III" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip the
    > disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!
    > Besides, aren't DVD-18's a rarity these days?

    You don't flip in the middle of a movie... You watch the movie on one
    side and have the extras on the other side. Nothing wrong with that.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Oct 30, 2003
  7. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Zimmy Guest

    > Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more sense
    > for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
    > I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up,

    but
    > does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get up
    > as well?
    > Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip

    the
    > disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!
    > Besides, aren't DVD-18's a rarity these days?
    > I think the only ones I have in my collection are T2-UE, and The Stand.
    > I certainly hope thedigitalbits was wrong about this one - a 2-disc set
    > makes much more sense!

    This drives me crazy. We should be moving towards less discs, not more.
    I'd take DVD18 everyday over useless 2 disc sets.

    Zimmy, Oct 30, 2003
  8. Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
    >> Just read this in thedigitalbits:
    >>
    >> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
    >>
    >> "10/21/03
    >>
    >> This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street
    >> for Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in
    >> the know is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March
    >> 9th of next year. "
    >>

    >> Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more
    >> sense for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
    >> I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get
    >> up, but does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should
    >> have to get up as well?
    >> Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip
    >> the disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!

    > ...Okayyy, we've got "DVD-18", now remind us where "flipper" appeared in
    > the article, again?

    Simple fact that ALL DVD-18 (~18 Gigs) discs are flippers, DVD-9 (~9 Gigs)
    you can put on one side of a disc, so DVD-18 must be a flipper. If you
    find a DVD-18 disc that isn't a flipper, please most the link....

    Quantum Leaper, Oct 30, 2003
  9. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Dan P. Guest

    > Just read this in thedigitalbits:
    >
    > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
    >
    > "10/21/03
    >
    > This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street for
    > Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in the know
    > is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March 9th of next
    > year. "
    >

    > Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more sense
    > for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
    > I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up,

    but
    > does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get up
    > as well?
    > Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip

    the
    > disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!
    > Besides, aren't DVD-18's a rarity these days?
    > I think the only ones I have in my collection are T2-UE, and The Stand.
    > I certainly hope thedigitalbits was wrong about this one - a 2-disc set
    > makes much more sense!

    I think I'm in the minority in that I prefer DVD-18's to 2 DVD-9's. The
    reason is that I own a Sony 300 disc DVD changer which has a button on the
    remote to flip the disc. So I don't have to get up to watch both
    sides...and it saves me one slot in my changer. So I definitely prefer
    DVD-18's, but unfortuntely (for me), there aren't that many. The only one I
    have is Ben-Hur. I do have some other non-DVD-18 flippers like "It's a
    Wonderful Life" and "Michael Jackson - History" which have content on both
    sides. So the flip button does come in handy every now and then.

    Dan

    Dan P., Oct 31, 2003
  10. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Rutgar Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:24:27 -0500, "Zimmy" <> wrote:

    >"Joseph S. Powell, III" <> wrote in message
    >> Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more sense
    >> for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
    >> I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up,

    >but
    >> does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get up
    >> as well?
    >> Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip

    >the
    >> disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!
    >> Besides, aren't DVD-18's a rarity these days?
    >> I think the only ones I have in my collection are T2-UE, and The Stand.
    >> I certainly hope thedigitalbits was wrong about this one - a 2-disc set
    >> makes much more sense!
    >>

    >This drives me crazy. We should be moving towards less discs, not more.
    >I'd take DVD18 everyday over useless 2 disc sets.

    Well, I hate two sided discs because the title info has to be written
    in tiny, tiny text on the spindle, of the DVD. My 40+ eyes, have a
    hard time trying to read that crap.

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Oct 31, 2003
  11. "Quantum Leaper" <> wrote in

    > Derek Janssen wrote:
    >> Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
    >>> Just read this in thedigitalbits:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
    >>>
    >>> "10/21/03
    >>>
    >>> This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual
    >>> street for Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from
    >>> retailers in the know is that Universal expects to release the
    >>> DVD-18 disc on March 9th of next year. "
    >>>

    >>> Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more
    >>> sense for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
    >>> I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get
    >>> up, but does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should
    >>> have to get up as well?
    >>> Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go
    >>> flip the disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!

    >> ...Okayyy, we've got "DVD-18", now remind us where "flipper" appeared
    >> in the article, again?
    >>

    > Simple fact that ALL DVD-18 (~18 Gigs) discs are flippers, DVD-9 (~9
    > Gigs) you can put on one side of a disc, so DVD-18 must be a flipper.
    > If you find a DVD-18 disc that isn't a flipper, please most the
    > link....

    That's not the correct usage of the term. A "flipper" is a DVD that
    requires the disc to be flipped in order to watch the film in its
    entirety. Not all DVD-18s are flippers, although all DVD-18s are
    two-sided.

    For example: my copy of Superman: The Movie is a DVD-18, but I can
    watch the whole movie without ever getting up and flipping the disc
    over. That DVD is not a flipper.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 31, 2003
  12. Joseph S. Powell, III

    unclejr Guest

    "Goldfinger" <> wrote...
    <snippage>
    > press the close button which is almost always the same button as
    > the open button,

    <more snippage>

    ROTFLMAO!.. "ALMOST always," huh? ;-) Thanks for brightening my day! :)

    -Junior

    unclejr, Oct 31, 2003
  13. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Codswallop Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:51:06 GMT, Rutgar wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > Well, I hate two sided discs because the title info has to be written
    > in tiny, tiny text on the spindle, of the DVD. My 40+ eyes, have a
    > hard time trying to read that crap.

    What we need, is a /third/ layer, that is transparent to the player's
    laser but visible to a human's eye.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to email)

    Codswallop, Oct 31, 2003
  14. Joseph S. Powell, III

    luminos Guest

    "Codswallop" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:51:06 GMT, Rutgar wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >
    > > Well, I hate two sided discs because the title info has to be written
    > > in tiny, tiny text on the spindle, of the DVD. My 40+ eyes, have a
    > > hard time trying to read that crap.

    > What we need, is a /third/ layer, that is transparent to the player's
    > laser but visible to a human's eye.
    >
    > --
    > - Cods
    >

    > (un ROT-13 to email)

    The third layer should be a platinum dye alloy ... raising the price to only
    $500 per disc.

    luminos, Oct 31, 2003
  15. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Nullo Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:45:16 GMT, "Goldfinger" <>
    wrote:

    >"Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> ...Okayyy, we've got "DVD-18", now remind us where "flipper" appeared in
    >> the article, again?

    >Even if it is to be a flipper, what's the big deal about it? You only need
    >to get up once in a three hour period to, press the open button, flip the
    >disc over, press the close button which is almost always the same button as
    >the open button, press play and go back to your couch again. Is this such
    >an ordeal in life?

    Well, flipping disks in the new Sony 400-disk changer is a real pain
    in the ass. The old 301 disk changer had a "flip" function built in,
    but unfortunately the new CX985V does not. =(

    Nullo, Oct 31, 2003