    I think I speak for us all when I say, I don't want to flip (the movie -
    flipping for extras is..sort of ok).
    Just look at what happened to Sal Bompensairo when he flipped!
    Joseph S. Powell, III, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Joseph S. Powell, III" <> wrote in message

    <<Schindler's list DVD-18 - will the movie be split on two sides?>>

    "DVD-18 in an acronym that means a two-sided DVD disc with two layers of
    data on both sides of the disc -- in other terms, it is a two-sided disc
    that holds a DVD-9 disc on both sides of it."

    The movie is 3 & 1/2 hours long and it will have 4 soundtracks:

    ENGLISH Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]
    ENGLISH: DTS 5.1 [CC]
    SPANISH: Dolby Digital 5.1
    FRENCH: Dolby Digital 5.1

    All of this material will take up a lot of space. The only conclusion
    that I can come to is that the movie will be spread over 3 layers (and
    maybe part of the 4th) and the supplemental features will be placed on
    the 4th layer.

    You will probably play 2/3 of the movie on one side and then turn the
    disk over to play the rest.

    http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvd-18.cfm
    Scot Gardner, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Rogers News Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > "Joseph S. Powell, III" <> wrote in message
    >
    > <<Schindler's list DVD-18 - will the movie be split on two sides?>>
    >
    > "DVD-18 in an acronym that means a two-sided DVD disc with two layers of
    > data on both sides of the disc -- in other terms, it is a two-sided disc
    > that holds a DVD-9 disc on both sides of it."
    >
    > The movie is 3 & 1/2 hours long and it will have 4 soundtracks:
    >
    > ENGLISH Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]
    > ENGLISH: DTS 5.1 [CC]
    > SPANISH: Dolby Digital 5.1
    > FRENCH: Dolby Digital 5.1
    >
    > All of this material will take up a lot of space. The only conclusion
    > that I can come to is that the movie will be spread over 3 layers (and
    > maybe part of the 4th) and the supplemental features will be placed on
    > the 4th layer.
    >
    > You will probably play 2/3 of the movie on one side and then turn the
    > disk over to play the rest.
    >
    > http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvd-18.cfm

    It will also be colorized...joking! HOpefully, clips of Spielberg's Shoah
    will be included
    Rogers News, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Joseph S. Powell, III

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    The limited "2-disc" set features the soundtrack CD as disc 2. The first disc
    will be the same DVD-18 available in the "standard" set. And yes, it will most
    certainly be a "flipper". I don't necessarily think that a flipper is the best
    way when they could just as easily do it on two discs but with four
    soundtracks, one of them a DTS track, it is essential that the film not be
    crammed onto one disc or disc side. Getting up off your ass once in a 3 hour
    period is a small price to pay to avoid horrible compression.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi
    CLOSEDOWN8, Dec 24, 2003
  5. "CLOSEDOWN8" <> wrote in message
    > The limited "2-disc" set features the soundtrack CD as disc 2. The first

    disc
    > will be the same DVD-18 available in the "standard" set. And yes, it will

    most
    > certainly be a "flipper". I don't necessarily think that a flipper is the

    best
    > way when they could just as easily do it on two discs but with four
    > soundtracks, one of them a DTS track, it is essential that the film not be
    > crammed onto one disc or disc side. Getting up off your ass once in a 3

    hour
    > period is a small price to pay to avoid horrible compression.
    > --------------------------------
    > "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    Given the length of the film, 200 minutes, and the 3 DD5.1 + DTS track, that
    all totals up to be 4.11GB if the DDs are 448Kbps, just for the audio!
    Imagine trying to release video with only 4.64GB to fit a 200 min film into?
    I've got that worked out to be about 3240kbps for the video. Since it has
    DTS, the maximum bitrate is somewhere around 8250kbps for video. The
    3240kbps isnt enough, if they put the last 1/3rd on the other side, use 1
    layer, then they can have 4860kbps with max of 8250. That's not too bad,
    but if they put the DD tracks at 384kbps, then they can have 5045kbps, not
    too much different.... That is of course, if they use exactly 3 layers for
    the movie, you'd have to add in probably a few hundred MB for the menu, and
    then what remains is what's left for the extras....perhaps 4.5GB (if you
    like to call recordables 4.7GB instead of the real 4.38GB)....
    Anonymous Joe, Dec 27, 2003
  6. That being the case, it would make more sense to spread the film itself over
    two discs - that way at least those of us with DVD changers won't have to
    get up (I don't care how many people call me lazy - I still maintain that
    the majority of DVD viewers do NOT want to get up and flip the disc -
    although the quality of this disc will be undoubtedly superior to the LD,
    I'll still have to get up to flip it, which isn't too different than
    changing LD's as SL is a 2-disc LD set...).
    People with 1-disc players are going to have to get up anyway, why
    inconvenience those of us with changers as well?

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Dec 30, 2003