    I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
    and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
    unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

    John, Jul 28, 2004

  2. John

    Gurble Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:48:02 +1200, "John" <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the copying of a
    >folder, to another location, at a specified time interval.
    >I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to another
    >harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This will act as a
    >simple backup solution.
    >
    >I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
    >and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
    >unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

    XCopy and Windows Task Scheduler.

    However, you're better to not override each time - have a two-way
    thing, where first off, the daily gets copied over the two-day-old,
    then the current overrides the daily.

    The reason is that, due to good ole' Murphy, anything that could go
    wrong which would require restoring from a backup will go wrong during
    creation of the backup, thereby rendering both it and your system
    useless.

    Gurble, Jul 28, 2004

  3. John

    cowboyz Guest

    John wrote:
    > Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the
    > copying of a folder, to another location, at a specified time
    > interval.
    > I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to
    > another harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This
    > will act as a simple backup solution.
    >
    > I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many
    > features and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very
    > simple and unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

    For a bit of a crude fix (but no cost) you could just write a bat file like
    this

    @echo
    xcopy /w /e /f /y {source}*.* {destination}
    echo done

    Put this bat file into windows scheduler and should be all good. I would
    exclude the /w and then it will do it without you there to press a key.

    If you want to know all the ins and outs of xcopy then goto a command prompt
    and type xcopy /? and it will give you a list.

    cowboyz, Jul 28, 2004
  4. John

    Harry Guest

    John wrote:

    > Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the copying of
    > a folder, to another location, at a specified time interval.
    > I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to another
    > harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This will act as a
    > simple backup solution.
    >
    > I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
    > and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
    > unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

    You are talking about Windows? Or Mac? Or Unix/Linux?

    On Unix/Linux you have crontabs so it is a no-brainer.
    On Windows you have Task Scheduler so that is a no-brainer.
    Not sure about Mac though.

    Harry, Jul 28, 2004
  5. John

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the
    >> copying of a folder, to another location, at a specified time
    >> interval.
    >> I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to
    >> another harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This
    >> will act as a simple backup solution.
    >>
    >> I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many
    >> features and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something
    >> very simple and unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

    > You are talking about Windows? Or Mac? Or Unix/Linux?
    >
    > On Unix/Linux you have crontabs so it is a no-brainer.
    > On Windows you have Task Scheduler so that is a no-brainer.
    > Not sure about Mac though.

    You have crontabs on Mac too.

    http://www.macobserver.com/article/2000/12/26.5.shtml

    Nik Coughin, Jul 28, 2004
  6. John

    Nikki Guest

    John wrote:
    > Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the copying of a
    > folder, to another location, at a specified time interval.
    > I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to another
    > harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This will act as a
    > simple backup solution.
    >
    > I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
    > and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
    > unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

    I use Second Copy 2000. Has been useful for a clients site also for
    backups. No problems.

    Gavin

    Nikki, Jul 28, 2004
  7. John

    Allistar Guest

    John wrote:

    > Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the copying of
    > a folder, to another location, at a specified time interval.
    > I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to another
    > harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This will act as a
    > simple backup solution.
    >
    > I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
    > and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
    > unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

    Use at or cron if you're using Linux (you didn't mention what OS you were
    using, and my crystal ball is broken today). If you are using Windows you
    could use the Task Scheduler to schedule a batch file to do the copying.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 28, 2004
  8. John

    a Guest

    In article <ZiHNc.6152$>,
    says...
    > John wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the copying of
    > > a folder, to another location, at a specified time interval.
    > > I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every day, to another
    > > harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data . This will act as a
    > > simple backup solution.
    > >
    > > I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many features
    > > and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very simple and
    > > unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

    > You are talking about Windows? Or Mac? Or Unix/Linux?
    >
    > On Unix/Linux you have crontabs so it is a no-brainer.
    > On Windows you have Task Scheduler so that is a no-brainer.
    > Not sure about Mac though.

    On Mac OS 9 (still many out there) I've found T-Minus Ten good

    http://home.austin.rr.com/mk/tmt/tmt.html

    OS X then cron jobs are the way to go. A nice gui app to do it is
    Cronnix:

    http://www.koch-schmidt.de/cronnix/

    With windows you could use RSync I guess (and under linux/unix/mac os x
    too) to handle the synching of data. I don't know if it rates as easy
    though..

    http://www.gaztronics.net/rsync.php

    a, Jul 28, 2004
  9. John

    DaveR Guest

    Use Karen's Replicator. Should do what you want easily.
    Freeware as well which makes it even better.
    Check it out
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

    Dave

    DaveR, Jul 28, 2004
  10. John

    bambam Guest

    "DaveR" <> wrote in news:t2KNc.824
    $:

    > Use Karen's Replicator. Should do what you want easily.
    > Freeware as well which makes it even better.
    > Check it out
    > http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

    I second this one, great little program. :)

    --
    Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7 of your life

    bambam, Jul 28, 2004
  11. John

    Chris Guest

    "John" <> wrote in

    > Anyone know of any simple piece of software that will allow the
    > copying of a folder, to another location, at a specified time
    > interval. I am wanting to copy one of my folders at the end of every
    > day, to another harddrive on my computer, and overwrite the old data .
    > This will act as a simple backup solution.
    >
    > I have found quite a lot of software, but they have far too many
    > features and don't do exactly what I want. I just want something very
    > simple and unbloated, and it doesn't need to compress the data.

    If you are using XP pro use MS backup (it has a scheduler built in)

    If you are using XP home, MS backup is in one of the folders on the
    install CD, so you can install it from there (not sure which folder to
    look in, sorry)

    If you are using win9x use MS backup + Windows task scheduler (Not sure
    about Win ME, sorry)

    If you don't like any of those try www.snapfiles.com, look or search
    under freeware, but there isn't anything that fits what you want IMO - I
    was looking for the same thing yesterday and decided to stick with MS
    backup even though it didn't compress the backup. Many of the freeware
    (or shareware) programs either didn't compress or didn't compare. One
    useful program I did find was Easy2sync (can find it on snapfiles) which
    I was looking at using to sync the backup folder with a CDRW but decided
    it would be just as easy to figure out which file need to be added to the
    CDRW by looking at the file's name ( incorporates the date)and if I
    wanted to zip the file I could just change the drive letter.

    Chris, Jul 28, 2004
  12. John

    Dogg Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:45:56 GMT, bambam <>
    wrote:

    >"DaveR" <> wrote in news:t2KNc.824
    >$:
    >
    >> Use Karen's Replicator. Should do what you want easily.
    >> Freeware as well which makes it even better.
    >> Check it out
    >> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

    >I second this one, great little program. :)

    Thirded :)

    Dogg, Jul 29, 2004
  13. John

    John Guest

    "Dogg" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:45:56 GMT, bambam <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"DaveR" <> wrote in news:t2KNc.824
    > >$:
    > >
    > >> Use Karen's Replicator. Should do what you want easily.
    > >> Freeware as well which makes it even better.
    > >> Check it out
    > >> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

    > >I second this one, great little program. :)

    > Thirded :)

    Thanks for the suggestion. Exactly what I was looking for

    John, Jul 30, 2004