Scheduling a retiring exam after 3/31/2008

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Louis Friend, Mar 23, 2008.

  1. Louis Friend

    Louis Friend Guest

    Hello,

    Has anyone tried to schedule any of the retiring exams after 3/31/2008
    ?

    I just wonder what would happen.

    a) Prometric would let you pay for it, then flag it and cancel it, and
    eventually refund your money.
    b) Give you credit toward an exam that isn't expiring
    c) Keep your money but not let you take that test (or any test)
    d) Let you take the test.
    e) other?

    I just wanted to finish up with the 292 and 296. I know I can take
    the 290 and 291 for the 292 and the 293 and 294 for the 296. That
    costs twice as much though...

    Meanwhile I'm retaking "the beast" while fighting off
    bronchitis/walking pneumonia on Tuesday.

    With the nationwide testing center cockup on March 15th with Prometric
    I thought MS might give some folks a break.

    Louis Friend

    Louis Friend, Mar 23, 2008

  2. "Louis Friend" <> wrote in message

    > Hello,
    >
    > Has anyone tried to schedule any of the retiring exams after 3/31/2008
    > ?
    >
    > I just wonder what would happen.
    >
    > a) Prometric would let you pay for it, then flag it and cancel it, and
    > eventually refund your money.
    > b) Give you credit toward an exam that isn't expiring
    > c) Keep your money but not let you take that test (or any test)
    > d) Let you take the test.
    > e) other?
    >
    > I just wanted to finish up with the 292 and 296. I know I can take
    > the 290 and 291 for the 292 and the 293 and 294 for the 296. That
    > costs twice as much though...
    >
    > Meanwhile I'm retaking "the beast" while fighting off
    > bronchitis/walking pneumonia on Tuesday.
    >
    > With the nationwide testing center cockup on March 15th with Prometric
    > I thought MS might give some folks a break.
    >
    > Louis Friend

    One would question why you would even try to schedule any of the
    retiring exams after the 31st if you KNEW they were to be retired
    then...

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Mar 23, 2008

  3. Good idea...

    Personally I've considered putting sugar in my gas tank to see what would
    happen. I wonder if the store would let me but the sugar or if anyone would
    tell me how stupid the idea was before I waste my money uying the bag of
    sugar. I think for one I would be able to buy the surgar; two, no one would
    really give a crap and finally; three, no one would tell me not to do it or
    tell me how stupid I was because again no one really cared in the first
    place. I would assume I'd hear the faint chuckle off in the distance but not
    much else.

    --
    ..rev

    www.askthemct.com
    ..

    .rev [askthemct.com], Mar 23, 2008
  4. Louis Friend

    Louis Friend Guest

    Hello,

    I didn't think my question warranted that kind of response. (Is
    everyone a seagoth these days?)

    The ms mcp website is kind of vague about whether or not Prometric
    will offer them. No guarantees. Sure.

    After struggling to make ends meet for a few years, I finally had the
    funds this year to finish up my MCSE certification and I'm almost
    done. I just thought it was slightly unfair that the last day you can
    get an MCSE 2000 was also the last day you can take the 292 and 296 to
    bump up to a 2K03.

    Between a nationwide testing issue on Saturday the 15th at the
    Prometric center and my recent bout of the flu my schedule has been
    thrown off a week.

    Louis Friend

    Louis Friend, Mar 23, 2008
  5. "Louis Friend" <> wrote in message

    > I just thought it was slightly unfair that the last day you can
    > get an MCSE 2000 was also the last day you can take the 292 and 296 to
    > bump up to a 2K03.
    >
    > Louis Friend

    This is not news. This information has been published for about a year
    now.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Mar 23, 2008
  6. ".rev [askthemct.com]" <> wrote in message

    > Good idea...
    >
    > Personally I've considered putting sugar in my gas tank to see what would
    > happen. I wonder if the store would let me but the sugar or if anyone would
    > tell me how stupid the idea was before I waste my money uying the bag of
    > sugar. I think for one I would be able to buy the surgar; two, no one would
    > really give a crap and finally; three, no one would tell me not to do it or
    > tell me how stupid I was because again no one really cared in the first
    > place. I would assume I'd hear the faint chuckle off in the distance but not
    > much else.
    >
    > --
    > .rev
    >
    > www.askthemct.com
    > .
    > "Louis Friend" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Has anyone tried to schedule any of the retiring exams after 3/31/2008
    > > ?
    > >
    > > I just wonder what would happen.
    > >
    > > a) Prometric would let you pay for it, then flag it and cancel it, and
    > > eventually refund your money.
    > > b) Give you credit toward an exam that isn't expiring
    > > c) Keep your money but not let you take that test (or any test)
    > > d) Let you take the test.
    > > e) other?
    > >
    > > I just wanted to finish up with the 292 and 296. I know I can take
    > > the 290 and 291 for the 292 and the 293 and 294 for the 296. That
    > > costs twice as much though...
    > >
    > > Meanwhile I'm retaking "the beast" while fighting off
    > > bronchitis/walking pneumonia on Tuesday.
    > >
    > > With the nationwide testing center cockup on March 15th with Prometric
    > > I thought MS might give some folks a break.
    > >
    > > Louis Friend

    Now see, that's funny!!!

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Mar 23, 2008
  7. I do agree the deqadline for 292 and 296 should fall later. You will not
    hear arguement from me on that point as they are still 2003 based exams not
    2000 based.

    But yes I thought asking someone what they thought about trying to register
    for something after its done with was a but funny. I liken it to asking to
    be let into the Concert you wanted to see because you bought your tickets
    before the show date but are now trying to attend a different show on a
    different day, even though the venue isthe same.
    --
    ..rev

    www.askthemct.com
    ..

    .rev [askthemct.com], Mar 24, 2008
  8. Hi, Louis. You are not alone! I don't think your question warranted that kind
    of response, particularly.

    If Prometric lets you schedule the exam, and you go take it, you'll get
    credit for it at Microsoft, even if it is after the March 31 official
    retirement. If Prometric lets you schedule and pay for the exam, then they
    cancel it for whatever reason, they will refund your money. As you know, just
    a reminder that there is no guarantee that those exams will be available
    after March 31.

    Good luck, hope you pass.
    And feel better.

    What is the nation wide Prometric exam center cock up on March 15?
    Trika

    --
    Trika, Microsoft Learning, Microsoft Corp. This posting is provided "AS IS"
    with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Trika Harms zum Spreckel (MSFT), Mar 24, 2008
  9. "Trika Harms zum Spreckel (MSFT)" <>
    wrote in message

    > Hi, Louis. You are not alone! I don't think your question warranted that kind
    > of response, particularly.
    >
    > If Prometric lets you schedule the exam, and you go take it, you'll get
    > credit for it at Microsoft, even if it is after the March 31 official
    > retirement. If Prometric lets you schedule and pay for the exam, then they
    > cancel it for whatever reason, they will refund your money. As you know, just
    > a reminder that there is no guarantee that those exams will be available
    > after March 31.
    >
    > Good luck, hope you pass.
    > And feel better.
    >
    > What is the nation wide Prometric exam center cock up on March 15?
    > Trika
    >
    > --
    > Trika, Microsoft Learning, Microsoft Corp. This posting is provided "AS IS"
    > with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    >

    > "Louis Friend" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Has anyone tried to schedule any of the retiring exams after 3/31/2008
    > > ?
    > >
    > > I just wonder what would happen.
    > >
    > > a) Prometric would let you pay for it, then flag it and cancel it, and
    > > eventually refund your money.
    > > b) Give you credit toward an exam that isn't expiring
    > > c) Keep your money but not let you take that test (or any test)
    > > d) Let you take the test.
    > > e) other?
    > >
    > > I just wanted to finish up with the 292 and 296. I know I can take
    > > the 290 and 291 for the 292 and the 293 and 294 for the 296. That
    > > costs twice as much though...
    > >
    > > Meanwhile I'm retaking "the beast" while fighting off
    > > bronchitis/walking pneumonia on Tuesday.
    > >
    > > With the nationwide testing center cockup on March 15th with Prometric
    > > I thought MS might give some folks a break.
    > >
    > > Louis Friend

    Warranted or not, .rev's reply was still funny. And I am not sure what
    everyone is referring to concerning the March 15th "cockup" with
    Prometric. I haven't heard a thing.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Mar 24, 2008
  10. From MCP Flash, March 2008:
    "As announced over the past year, 22 Microsoft exams are scheduled to retire
    this month, including the Windows Server 2000 to 2003 upgrade exams, 70-292
    and 70-296. Please contact Prometric for remaining test dates and times;
    there is no guarantee of availability after the scheduled retirement date of
    March 31, 2008."

    That statement would seem to imply that there is no guarantee that the tests
    will NOT be available after March 31, so give the guy a break on the nasty
    replies.
    It also tells you that if you want an answer, contact Prometric.

    MCNE,MCSE,ITP+,CDIA+, Mar 25, 2008
  11. "MCNE,MCSE,ITP+,CDIA+" <MCNE,MCSE,ITP+,>
    wrote in message

    Your name is hard to pronounce.

    MG

    Mostly Gizzards, Mar 25, 2008
  12. Louis Friend

    CBIC Guest

    "Mostly Gizzards" <> wrote in message
    > "MCNE,MCSE,ITP+,CDIA+" <MCNE,MCSE,ITP+,>
    > wrote in message
    >
    > Your name is hard to pronounce.
    >
    > MG

    LOLerskates

    CBIC, Mar 25, 2008
  13. Louis Friend

    Chris Lobban Guest

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.] wrote:
    > Warranted or not, .rev's reply was still funny. And I am not sure what
    > everyone is referring to concerning the March 15th "cockup" with
    > Prometric. I haven't heard a thing.

    I'm guessing that there was some problems with the main Prometric
    servers that day, and they were unable to send exams down to the local
    testing facilities.

    But the only reason I have to believe that is because I went in for an
    exam the morning of March 16th, and the proctor mentioned that he'd been
    having trouble connecting to the server to download exams. Luckily I'd
    scheduled mine a couple days early so it was already downloaded and
    ready for me to take. But there were a few other people hanging around
    waiting to see if they'd have a chance to get their exams or not. And
    since other people here were referring to a problem on that same day,
    I'm assuming it's not a coincidence and the problems that my test centre
    was experiencing were more widespread than just my one centre.

    Chris Lobban
    A+, Net+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA

    Chris Lobban, Mar 25, 2008
  14. Louis Friend

    PAJ Guest

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 06:01:07 -0700, ACNE> wrote:

    >From MCP Flash, March 2008:
    >"As announced over the past year, 22 Microsoft exams are scheduled to retire
    >this month, including the Windows Server 2000 to 2003 upgrade exams, 70-292
    >and 70-296. Please contact Prometric for remaining test dates and times;
    >there is no guarantee of availability after the scheduled retirement date of
    >March 31, 2008."
    >
    >That statement would seem to imply that there is no guarantee that the tests
    >will NOT be available after March 31, so give the guy a break on the nasty
    >replies.
    >It also tells you that if you want an answer, contact Prometric.

    Well spotted acne.

    PAJ, Mar 25, 2008
  15. Louis Friend

    Mo Guest

    Hi
    I asked the MCP customer service and I was told that this date has been
    extended to May 24th 2008

    Mo, Mar 30, 2008