    Any help is appreciated.

    Thank you,

    Ian Welch

    Ian Welch, Jun 29, 2005

  2. Ian Welch

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Ian Welch wrote:

    > I currently have Win XP. I would like to schedule a defrag and then the
    > shut the computer down all while I'm sleeping at night. In previous
    > versions of Windows you could do this. But for some reason I'm missing
    > something very simple and can't seem to make it work.
    >
    > When I use the scheduled tasks wizard it doesn't offer defrag as an
    > optioned program. When I browse for it and schedule it that way, that
    > doesn't work either.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Ian Welch

    I tried to do it on one of may XP pro machine and was able to make a
    Scheduled Task and point to the defrag.exe. I then I ran the task. All
    defrag.exe did was flash a DOS box and that was it. Defrag when ran through
    Administrative Tools wants a response from the user to either Analize or
    Defrag and you may not be able to schedule it. You may have to look into
    some 3rd party defrag tool and see if it can run in batch mode.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Ian Welch

    old jon Guest

    "Ian Welch" <> wrote in message
    >I currently have Win XP. I would like to schedule a defrag and then the
    >shut the computer down all while I'm sleeping at night. In previous
    >versions of Windows you could do this. But for some reason I'm missing
    >something very simple and can't seem to make it work.
    >
    > When I use the scheduled tasks wizard it doesn't offer defrag as an
    > optioned program. When I browse for it and schedule it that way, that
    > doesn't work either.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Ian Welch

    Hi Ian you will have to create a VBS script, and then point the scheduler to
    it.
    Go to Google, and type in schedule + defrag.
    www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_defrag.htm
    seems to have the answer for you.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Jun 29, 2005
  4. Ian Welch

    ellis_jay Guest

    Ian Welch wrote:
    > I currently have Win XP. I would like to schedule a defrag and then
    > the shut the computer down all while I'm sleeping at night. In
    > previous versions of Windows you could do this. But for some reason
    > I'm missing something very simple and can't seem to make it work.
    >
    > When I use the scheduled tasks wizard it doesn't offer defrag as an
    > optioned program. When I browse for it and schedule it that way, that
    > doesn't work either.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Ian Welch

    I guess you know what you wanna do, but XP dos not often need defragging, at
    least in my world.

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Ian Welch

    Ian Welch Guest

    Thanks Old Jon

    Thanks for your help. Everything worked.

    Ian Welch, Jun 29, 2005