Scheduled for 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Austin, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. Austin

    Austin Guest

    Hi all,

    Well, I'm schedule for 70-271 next week! Ack -- I'm
    tearing my hair out. :)

    Any advice/suggestions on what to expect? This is my
    first MS certifcation test. I've been in the field
    several years now, and (I *think*) am pretty familiar
    with Windows XP Pro. But in taking some of the prep tests
    I've found, I'm feeling rather anxious about it, having
    seen questions about Internet Zones, lmhost files,
    unattended installation files...just some things that
    are, well, kind of "out there". I read a post here about
    not thinking in "real world" terms, but in "MS" terms,
    and that throws me, because when I read a question, I'm
    thinking "Well, that's one way to do it."

    I know that my biggest weakness is with NTFS
    shares/permissions -- I've studied it, but there seem to
    be so many different ways and methods (and,
    unfortunately, I don't have a workgroup/domain to
    practice with...just stand alone).

    My apologies for not contributing to the group and for
    not asking specific questions...I just don't quite know
    how to prepare or what to expect.

    Exam's next week -- argh!

    Any help or advice would be much appreciated! :)

    Austin
    Austin, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Austin

    Jason Guest

    Austin,

    Relax. If you've got real world experience don't let my previous post about
    the "real world" verus the "MS" answer freak you out. If you've added to
    your real world by studying MS best practices and procedures with a little
    Transcender, Exam Cram or the like, you should do fine. On the NTFS
    subject, just know how permissions beahve when transferring from within a
    partition, between partitions (both NTFS and FAT), and how NTFS and share
    permissions interact. (Hint: Some compound, some negate, and others don't
    apply in certain cases). If you know the rules, take your time with the
    questions and refer to the chart you drew upon first entering the exam.

    Oh yeah, try to memorize charts using short term memory, then when you first
    get into the exam, write down every chart and dialogue box you can remember,
    so you can refer to it later when you are 30 minutes into it. Other than
    that, don't forget a healthy breakfast (not too much caffeine) as well as a
    dose of self-confidence and you should get through it just fine. Even if
    you don't, that's the beauty of taking an actual exam. You now KNOW the
    format, and a re-take is almost assured of a passing score. Best of luck.

    Jason, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Austin

    Mike Guest

    hey there,

    you can setup virtual PCs to do some practice.
    MS Virtual PC 2004 trial version lasts for 49 days. make
    sure you got heaps of memory (512M and up)

    the real pcs are so cheap these days, you don't need to
    buy another monitor. you can use a KVM.

    I am going to do 270,271,272 next month.

    god bless us.

    Mike, Sep 26, 2004
  4. Austin

    Austin Guest

    Few more days! Thanks for the advice -- still can't get
    rid of my anxiety,though! :)

    Hope I pass! I'll let you know!

    Austin, Sep 27, 2004