    there any tall buildings where I can get access to the roof legally
    where I can shoot some interesting photos, or some unique parks, etc.?
    Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

    Shawn Hirn, May 4, 2009

  2. Shawn Hirn

    boris spider Guest

    "Shawn Hirn" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi everyone;
    >
    > I will be visiting England on a very brief stay. I will have two days in
    > London, two days in Norwich, and two days in Liverpool early next month.
    > I am an avid amateur photographer. I am wondering if anyone on this
    > newsgroup can suggest areas of those three cities where I can go to
    > shoot some interesting photographs, but that are not like the ones
    > everyone else who visits those areas is likely to shoot. For example, is
    > there any tall buildings where I can get access to the roof legally
    > where I can shoot some interesting photos, or some unique parks, etc.?
    > Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

    The most Central high point in London is the London Eye or Millenium
    Wheel right on the river Thames. Although it costs £17 per adult.

    http://www.londoneye.com/TicketsAndPrices/Flights/Default.aspx?promoType=fb

    From there you could travel on a waterbus on the Thames to Greenwich which
    not only has the Naval Hospital buildings but the Observatory with the
    Greenwich meridian at the top of the hill and the view across London.
    Plus shots on the river itself from the bus.

    Parliament Hill which is part of Hampstead Heath is a recognised high point
    and free.

    The viewing galley at the top of the tower of Westminster Cathedral
    (a 20th century Byzantine style redbrick Catholic Cathedral in Victoria not
    to be confused with the Abbey) is quite high and pretty central and is
    free AFAIAA and is open daily from 9.30am to 12.30pm, and from 1.00pm to 5.00pm.
    http://www.westminstercathedral.org.uk/vinfo/vinfo_times.html

    Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
    for reasons of "security".

    For general enquiries about travelling in London and other information
    you could try
    uk.transport.london

    boris

    boris spider, May 4, 2009

  3. On Mon, 4 May 2009, boris spider wrote:

    > The viewing galley at the top of the tower of Westminster Cathedral

    ^^^^^^

    can one cook there ? :)

    is a newsreading account used by more persons to

    Giovanni Drogo, May 4, 2009
  4. Shawn Hirn

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Shawn Hirn" <> wrote in message

    > I will be visiting England on a very brief stay. I will have two days in
    > London...

    > For example, are there any tall buildings where I can get access to the
    > roof legally
    > where I can shoot some interesting photos, or some unique parks, etc.?

    I haven't been back to England since I migrated to the South Seas in 1973,
    but one place I remember in London that isn't on the main tourist route is
    'The Monument' http://www.themonument.info/ near London Bridge. Only 61
    metres high, but back in the 70's that was enough to give you a great view*,
    plus a fair old work-out, as there is no lift, just a lot of stairs! I see
    there is now a £3 admission fee, back then it was something like 5p, and
    popular with city workers wanting to raise a sweat in their lunch hour.

    * Still pretty good, judging from the panoramic camera shots on the site.

    > Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

    Probably wise, given the traffic, price of petrol and the congestion
    charges...

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, May 5, 2009
  5. Shawn Hirn

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Shawn Hirn
    <> writes
    >Hi everyone;
    >
    >I will be visiting England on a very brief stay.

    From where? "Interesting" depends one what you used to.

    > I will have two days in
    >London, two days in Norwich, and two days in Liverpool early next month.

    All interesting cites photographically speaking

    >I am an avid amateur photographer. I am wondering if anyone on this
    >newsgroup can suggest areas of those three cities where I can go to
    >shoot some interesting photographs, but that are not like the ones
    >everyone else who visits those areas is likely to shoot.

    All of those cities have been photographed. However there is lots of
    interesting stuff.

    > For example, is
    >there any tall buildings where I can get access to the roof legally
    >where I can shoot some interesting photos,

    "Everyone" does that.

    > or some unique parks, etc.?

    The buildings are unique too

    >Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

    OK for London not so good for Norwich better in Liverpool

    Chris H, May 5, 2009
  6. Shawn Hirn

    congokid Guest

    In article <>, boris spider
    <> writes

    >Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
    >for reasons of "security".

    Yet the observation decks on the Empire State building managed to remain
    open to the public, even in the aftermath of 9/11 when feelings about
    'security' were probably at an all time high.

    I think the reasons in London are more to do with 'couldn't be arsed'.

    A couple more central but not particularly high points here - Monument
    (steps only) and Tower Bridge walkway (there's a lift). You can get a
    ticket that covers entry to both of them.
    --
    congokid
    Eating out in London? Read my tips...

    congokid, May 5, 2009
  7. Shawn Hirn

    Martin Brown Guest

    Shawn Hirn wrote:
    > Hi everyone;
    >
    > I will be visiting England on a very brief stay. I will have two days in
    > London, two days in Norwich, and two days in Liverpool early next month.
    > I am an avid amateur photographer. I am wondering if anyone on this
    > newsgroup can suggest areas of those three cities where I can go to
    > shoot some interesting photographs, but that are not like the ones
    > everyone else who visits those areas is likely to shoot. For example, is
    > there any tall buildings where I can get access to the roof legally
    > where I can shoot some interesting photos, or some unique parks, etc.?
    > Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

    I would second "Monument" as a slightly off the beaten track high
    vantage point in London (bit of a climb). London Eye is fun too.

    Nobody seems to have put in a good word for Liverpool so here goes:
    http://www.albertdock.com/
    Is a bit touristy, but has some good exhibits and the nearby waterfront
    is a heritage site. You can get a ferry across the Mersey to see it too.
    They also have two very impressive modern cathedrals and various
    museums, and a fair number of impressive old buildings...

    London's Kew gardens is worth a visit if you are interested in plant
    photography (although a bit of a trek out of London). There are lots of
    small museums off the beaten track so if you give some idea of what your
    photographic interests are then other suggestions are possible.

    If coming from abroad and intending to use UK rail travel check out the
    best open train ticket deals for overseas visitors to make sure you
    don't get stuffed by out privatised disconnected railway non-service.
    You will pay a lot more to buy a ticket on the day than by prebooking.
    As a tourist you probably want some flexibility *and* a decent price.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, May 5, 2009
  8. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember "boris spider"
    <> saying something like:

    >Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
    >for reasons of "security".

    Indeed. When I was a lad I was up the Post Office Tower, but it was shut
    to the public just a few years later because of the fucking IRA.
    What a waste.

    Grimly Curmudgeon, May 5, 2009
  9. Shawn Hirn

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Grimly
    Curmudgeon <> writes
    >We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    >drugs began to take hold. I remember "boris spider"
    ><> saying something like:
    >
    >>Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
    >>for reasons of "security".

    >Indeed. When I was a lad I was up the Post Office Tower, but it was shut
    >to the public just a few years later because of the fucking IRA.
    >What a waste.

    You mean there was terrorism before 9/11/2001?

    I will not say If I have been up the PO Tower as it would date me
    somewhat :)

    There is a lot of paranoia about terrorism. Most of it unfounded.

    I think V for Vendetta and 1984 may become mainstream rather than cult
    films.

    Chris H, May 5, 2009
  10. Chris H wrote:
    > In message <>, Grimly
    > Curmudgeon <> writes
    >> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    >> drugs began to take hold. I remember "boris spider"
    >> <> saying something like:
    >>
    >>> Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
    >>> for reasons of "security".

    >> Indeed. When I was a lad I was up the Post Office Tower, but it was shut
    >> to the public just a few years later because of the fucking IRA.
    >> What a waste.

    > You mean there was terrorism before 9/11/2001?
    >
    > I will not say If I have been up the PO Tower as it would date me
    > somewhat :)
    >
    > There is a lot of paranoia about terrorism. Most of it unfounded.

    I am curious as to what might constitute founded paranoia! Can you give
    an example or two?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, May 5, 2009
  11. In rec.photo.digital Grimly Curmudgeon <> wrote:
    > We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    > drugs began to take hold. I remember "boris spider"
    > <> saying something like:

    >>Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
    >>for reasons of "security".

    > Indeed. When I was a lad I was up the Post Office Tower, but it was shut
    > to the public just a few years later because of the fucking IRA.
    > What a waste.

    I used to spend hours up there with a pair of big binoculars. I recall
    that the high speed accelerating lifts were quite exciting too :)

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, May 5, 2009
  12. In rec.photo.digital Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    > Hi everyone;

    > I will be visiting England on a very brief stay. I will have two days in
    > London, two days in Norwich, and two days in Liverpool early next month.
    > I am an avid amateur photographer. I am wondering if anyone on this
    > newsgroup can suggest areas of those three cities where I can go to
    > shoot some interesting photographs, but that are not like the ones
    > everyone else who visits those areas is likely to shoot. For example, is
    > there any tall buildings where I can get access to the roof legally
    > where I can shoot some interesting photos, or some unique parks, etc.?
    > Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

    Most people go to high places to shoot views. If you want something
    different walk along the shores of the sea/rivers, or take boat
    trips. Both scenic plus lots of interesting close detail, old dying
    buildings alongside some of the most modern architecture.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, May 5, 2009
  13. Shawn Hirn

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Chris Malcolm
    <> writes
    >In rec.photo.digital Grimly Curmudgeon <> wrote:
    >> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    >> drugs began to take hold. I remember "boris spider"
    >> <> saying something like:

    >>>Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
    >>>for reasons of "security".

    >> Indeed. When I was a lad I was up the Post Office Tower, but it was shut
    >> to the public just a few years later because of the fucking IRA.
    >> What a waste.

    >I used to spend hours up there with a pair of big binoculars.

    Clearly a terrorist :)

    > I recall
    >that the high speed accelerating lifts were quite exciting too :)

    Hmmmm... so did I but then I discovered girls :)))))

    Chris H, May 5, 2009
  14. Shawn Hirn

    John Geddes Guest

    Chris Malcolm wrote:
    % on public transportation.

    > Most people go to high places to shoot views. If you want something
    > different walk along the shores of the sea/rivers, or take boat
    > trips.

    Eg Manchester Ship Canal Cruise (Liverpool to Salford nr Manchester or
    vv; return bus included) - only a few trips each month, but could be
    interesting if your dates did fit.

    John Geddes

    John Geddes, May 5, 2009
  15. Shawn Hirn

    Alan S Guest

    On Tue, 05 May 2009 06:59:26 -0700, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >> There is a lot of paranoia about terrorism. Most of it unfounded.

    >I am curious as to what might constitute founded paranoia! Can you give
    >an example or two?

    Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvs4bOMv5Xw

    Cheers, Alan, Australia
    --
    http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
    Latest: Jordan, City and Country

    Alan S, May 5, 2009
  16. Shawn Hirn

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Grimly Curmudgeon" <> wrote

    > Indeed. When I was a lad I was up the Post Office Tower, but it was shut
    > to the public just a few years later...

    I did a charity run up that thing when I was a teenager. Talk about
    knackered!

    Wikipedia mentions that there was an IRA bomb in the restaurant in 1971, but
    it was finally closed to the public in 1981, with the end of the lease by
    Butlins (the holiday camp people.) Amazing that the whole thing only cost
    £2.5 million - you couldn't build a decent sized mansion for that today!

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, May 6, 2009
  17. Shawn Hirn

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Chris Malcolm" <> wrote

    > I used to spend hours up there with a pair of big binoculars. I recall
    > that the high speed accelerating lifts were quite exciting too :)

    Not half a scary as the lifts in the World Trade Centre, which each went
    about half way up the 100 stories (you had to get out at 50 and change to
    another lift). They bounced up and down when they stopped, quite unsettling.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, May 6, 2009
  18. Alan S wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 May 2009 06:59:26 -0700, John McWilliams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> There is a lot of paranoia about terrorism. Most of it unfounded.

    >> I am curious as to what might constitute founded paranoia! Can you give
    >> an example or two?

    > Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvs4bOMv5Xw

    Ooooomph.... rim shot, ta daa!
    Nice one.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, May 6, 2009
  19. Shawn Hirn

    Guest

    On May 4, 12:12 pm, Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    > Hi everyone;
    >
    > I will be visiting England on a very brief stay. I will have two days in
    > London, two days in Norwich, and two days in Liverpool early next month.
    > I am an avid amateur photographer. I am wondering if anyone on this
    > newsgroup can suggest areas of those three cities where I can go to
    > shoot some interesting photographs, but that are not like the ones
    > everyone else who visits those areas is likely to shoot. For example, is
    > there any tall buildings where I can get access to the roof legally
    > where I can shoot some interesting photos, or some unique parks, etc.?
    > Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

    I'm not sure what the highest point open to the public is in Norwich
    but you can get pretty good views from around the castle. I don't know
    offhand if you can go on the roof, which probably is the highest point
    in the city. There are also very good streetscape/roofscape views over
    the market place - try the bike racks next to St. Peter Mancroft or
    maybe the steps of City Hall as a vantage point.

    Check out Heigham Park and the wilder Mousehold Heath.

    The University of East Anglia, as someone else has mentioned, has an
    eclectic array of interesting buildings from the 60s onwards. You can
    roam the campus freely.

    If you're into interiors, you must visit the Edwardian Norwich Union
    building on Surrey Street with its "marble hall", one of the best-kept
    secrets of Norwich. They welcome visitors and I imagine photography is
    okay if you ask.

    For industrial dereliction mixed with medieval remnants, wander along
    King Street away from the city centre. The river in the other
    direction (the other side of Prince of Wales Road) is also photogenic
    in a much prettier way.

    You won't really need much in the way of public transport in Norwich -
    the centre is entirely walkable. The university is a bit of a trek out
    but there's a regular bus service.

    , May 6, 2009
  20. In rec.photo.digital John McWilliams <> wrote:
    > Chris H wrote:
    >> In message <>, Grimly
    >> Curmudgeon <> writes
    >>> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    >>> drugs began to take hold. I remember "boris spider"
    >>> <> saying something like:

    >>> Indeed. When I was a lad I was up the Post Office Tower, but it was shut
    >>> to the public just a few years later because of the fucking IRA.
    >>> What a waste.

    >> You mean there was terrorism before 9/11/2001?
    >>
    >> I will not say If I have been up the PO Tower as it would date me
    >> somewhat :)
    >>
    >> There is a lot of paranoia about terrorism. Most of it unfounded.

    > I am curious as to what might constitute founded paranoia! Can you give
    > an example or two?

    Martin Luther King thinking assassins were plotting to kill him.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, May 6, 2009