    phony name) but with my real home address. How did this happen? I have
    never associated this name with my home address. I use this email only to
    post to USENET.
    William Tucker, Aug 6, 2004

  2. William Tucker

    johns Guest

    I've begun to suspect that our ISPs are as much to blame
    for all the spam we get, as about anybody. They probably
    sent you the CD, and get a little payola on the side for
    doing it.

    johns
    johns, Aug 7, 2004

  3. William Tucker

    stevie Guest

    A possible explanation Re: scary

    Its probably as the previous poster said but OTOH:

    Altho you've never associated that email address with your physical
    address it is possible that you've used the same browser *session* to do
    so. Think, use web-based email provider to check mail, porn site for a
    cheap thrill and then visit a books website to buy a book.

    The ad-provider common to these sites uses a cookie to link them together.
    When you provide the bookstore with your shipping details they make a buck
    by selling on the details to the ad-provider. The ad-provider sells their
    email list with added value browsing history to websites, credit reference
    company and so on. Yahoo (my webmail provider) calls similar things web
    beacons you should check out their privacy policy.

    For my $.02, this invasion of privacy is as dubious as the acts of any
    neophyte hax0r. As it is performed by people in suits in pursuit of
    corporate profit no-one considers it "computer crime" (in the sense that
    malicious hacking was a crime even before it was explicitly criminalised).

    Steve
    stevie, Aug 9, 2004
  4. Re: A possible explanation Re: scary

    it could have been like this... someone just wanted to mess with you...
    X looked at your ip from some session probably supernews where u post your
    ng's then X looked up where in the world your ip belongs (ISP, country,
    city) then using this name (thinking it was your real name)

    or something like that... nothing is imposible these days... =/

    Jimmie Moberg, Aug 9, 2004