    you will never get it back. To the guys here who actually contract
    themselves out to install cisco products without ever touching one why would
    you put yourself in that situation?

    Hugo Drax, Dec 12, 2003

  2. > themselves out to install cisco products without ever touching one why would
    > you put yourself in that situation?

    Somtimes its just over confidence, people thinking they'll be able to
    implement gear with a little learning.

    Remember that your average user does not view networking as a difficult
    topic. For the most part users think ... oh well I was able to plug my
    Linksys router in at home, so I'm sure I could install a Cisco switch
    after reading the manual.

    I find for the most part people take the network for granted (Only miss it
    when it not there), and have absolutly no concept of the complexity
    involved.

    ..... on the other hand sometimes people are just idiots and want to make a
    fast buck.

    Warrick

    Warrick FitzGerald, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Hugo Drax

    Brian Bergin Guest

    "Warrick FitzGerald" <> wrote:

    |.... on the other hand sometimes people are just idiots and want to make a
    |fast buck.

    See now, that was my thinking exactly! Personally, if I don't know how to do
    it, I find someone who does. Mucking around day after day is too stressful on
    the heart! I'll ask here and some other places if I have a problem and if I
    can't get a good solution, it's time to find someone with better expertise.
    Sure everyone has to learn sometime, but most of the guys we clean up after were
    just plain idiots... IMHO....

    Thanks...
    Brian Bergin

    I can be reached via e-mail at
    cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

    Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

    Brian Bergin, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Hugo Drax

    Thomas Larus Guest

    My horror story with a "contractor from hell" involved a very knowledgable
    guy with plenty of experience. He worked for one of the most prestigious IT
    contracting companies/resellers in the Cisco arena. He gave the impression
    that he was somehow the right-hand man to someone high up in our company,
    and basically answered directly to him. This was pretty plausible given our
    company's reliance on high-end contractors.

    I should have known to watch out for him when he bad-mouthed another fellow
    from his own company. The other fellow seemed intelligent but less
    confident and capable and probably had more education but less experience
    than the "contractor from hell."

    The "contractor from hell" messed up something on our site by trying to
    "clean up" something that was completely outside the scope of what his job
    there that day. By the time we stopped him he had messed it up so that he
    could not fix it, or did not feel it was worth much of his valuable time to
    fix it.

    He was very knowledgeable, and much more experienced than I was at the time,
    which was one reason why I did not stop him earlier than I did. He was the
    "contractor from hell" not because of ignorance or inexperience, but because
    of arrogance.

    I do not doubt that many of the better networkers do spend a lot of their
    time cleaning up after less knowledgeable and experienced networkers, but
    some of the old pros screw up things pretty well once in a while. The less
    experienced networkers are also less experienced in covering their tracks.

    Tom Larus, CCIE #10,014
    Author of CCIE Warm-Up: Advice and Learning Labs
    http://www.ipexpert.com/products_services/product.asp?sku=ip7777

    Thomas Larus, Dec 12, 2003