Scarface

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dunf, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. Dunf

    Dunf Guest

    I picked up a copy of the new Scarface SE friday and had a chance to go
    through all the extras and the film itself. First off, the transfer is 80%
    better than the original direct bad print film to dvd version that Universal
    slagged out there for a few years. I say 80% cause there is room for even
    more improvement but, overall, the contrast, color levels, detail, and
    simply the presense of more video information make this a must buy. Disc 1
    has only the film with usual menu supplements-no easter eggs can be found on
    this release. Disc 2, has a number of extras that we have all read about by
    now including a 3 stage documentary on the making of Scarface, The Rebirth,
    Creating, and Acting. There is a TV version that Marty Bregman sais works,
    I say different. There is a comparison of the orig film vs' the editted down
    TV version. Aside from the actors bodys being morphed cause of the awfull
    full screen ratio, the words that replace the typical f, c and s dialogue
    are replaced with common every day spouting like, chicken. The only thing
    that is pointed out here is that Scarface is not meant for prime time TV.

    The dvd packaging for Canada suspiciously omits the Def Jam production of
    the influence of Scarface on urban culture. This what'updogumentary is quite
    good and a little more lively and fast paced with all the typical hype you
    will see by the folks at DefJam.

    Actors nowhere to be found in the re-edited version of the original dvd
    documentary are Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert Logia, and the guy who played
    Angel Fernandez. I thought considering he was in a major scene of the film
    they should have talked to him about the chainsaw sequence.

    The 3 part docu comes with new footage of the Marty Bregman sequence, the DP
    of Photography, John A. Alonzo (to whom this dvd is dedicated since he
    passed away in 2001) and Georgio Moroder playing a piano only version of the
    theme while discussing the film. All of the Al Pacino interview footage is
    from the very same sequences shot for the old dvd version; so, we have seen
    most of it before. There is some additional added outtakes from Al's
    interview intercut with stills of the making of Scarface.

    Overall, I give this dvd a 8.5/10 deffinately worth picking up. What we
    should all do is send Universal our earlier dvd version in a large bag of
    rotting eggs with a thank you note. Remember, way back when studios like WB
    released the Batman dvd and did a fine job of it. In fact, Batman is the
    very first dvd released if I'm not mistaken. Why did they get that one right
    when Universal didn't give a damn about the equally, if not more important,
    Scarface. Important is a poor word to describe films as everyone has his or
    her own idea of what to watch. Nonetheless, Universal made us wait 5 years
    to see a decent version of this film. However, people like me went out and
    bought the new dvd anyway...just what Universal wants.

    Since I don't work in the entertainment industry I can say what I mean. I'm
    not writing this to kiss some studios ass or fullfill some specific
    contractual agreement to promote the dvd. Universal fucked us over...just
    the way Tony Montana was told "Don't **** me Tony". If you bought the first
    dvd keep that in mind next time you consider purchasing other Universal
    product. Let them know you can't be fucked with. BTW, I don't pretend here
    that Universal is the only studio that does this, but, lets face it, they do
    it alot. They pull titles off the market for over a year only to fuel or
    guarantee a great number of purchases of the re-issue a year later. That's
    no better than a PC software company trying to sell you pop-up stoppers by
    shoving a pop-up window in your face while you're on the internet.

    Dunf, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Dunf

    Writer R5 Guest

    I thought your post was great and to the point. Thank you. I bought the new
    Scarface DVD two weeks ago. It is the real thing too. Universal has lost a lot
    of what I think people might coin as being quality of respect for their
    product. I do reviews and have received DVDs from Universal to review, but I
    just told them yesterday by E-mail that I am beinning to think that they really
    don't care about what the consumers think and I am not alone in thid feeling. I
    have seen many webmasters post things that were harsher than what I wrote them.
    I think it has to do with the whole Vivendi merger and selling thing, but at
    this point I will not lie to any of you and say I would never buy another
    Universal DVD or review one they send me, but I think their status as a
    reputable DVD producer and distributor has gone down and I am pretty pissed off
    too. I might send them your post since I think it was well written in hopes
    that if they see what consumers in newgroups are writing, they will begin to
    see the error in their ways. As it is I told them I and oother people think
    Universal really doesn't care.

    Mark
    GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    http://www.genreonline.net
    Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster

    Writer R5, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Dunf

    Dunf Guest

    "Writer R5" <> wrote in message
    > I thought your post was great and to the point. Thank you. I bought the

    new
    > Scarface DVD two weeks ago. It is the real thing too. Universal has lost a

    lot
    > of what I think people might coin as being quality of respect for their
    > product. I do reviews and have received DVDs from Universal to review, but

    > just told them yesterday by E-mail that I am beinning to think that they

    really
    > don't care about what the consumers think and I am not alone in thid

    feeling. I
    > have seen many webmasters post things that were harsher than what I wrote

    them.
    > I think it has to do with the whole Vivendi merger and selling thing, but

    at
    > this point I will not lie to any of you and say I would never buy another
    > Universal DVD or review one they send me, but I think their status as a
    > reputable DVD producer and distributor has gone down and I am pretty

    pissed off
    > too. I might send them your post since I think it was well written in

    hopes
    > that if they see what consumers in newgroups are writing, they will begin

    > see the error in their ways. As it is I told them I and oother people

    think
    > Universal really doesn't care.
    >
    > Mark
    > GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    > http://www.genreonline.net
    > Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster

    Go ahead and send them the post Mark. BTW, you know me under a different
    name from previous posts and have prob seen my rants about Universal before.
    Thanks for the compliment; I have enjoyed many of your reviews in the past
    aswell. Say hello to Kevin Smith for me aswell will ya. Is he going to
    release Jersey Girl; just wondering.

    Dunf, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Dunf

    Dunf Guest

    "Dunf" <> wrote in message

    > "Writer R5" <> wrote in message
    > > I thought your post was great and to the point. Thank you. I bought the

    > new
    > > Scarface DVD two weeks ago. It is the real thing too. Universal has lost

    > lot
    > > of what I think people might coin as being quality of respect for their
    > > product. I do reviews and have received DVDs from Universal to review,

    but
    > > just told them yesterday by E-mail that I am beinning to think that they

    > really
    > > don't care about what the consumers think and I am not alone in thid

    > feeling. I
    > > have seen many webmasters post things that were harsher than what I

    wrote
    > them.
    > > I think it has to do with the whole Vivendi merger and selling thing,

    but
    > at
    > > this point I will not lie to any of you and say I would never buy

    another
    > > Universal DVD or review one they send me, but I think their status as a
    > > reputable DVD producer and distributor has gone down and I am pretty

    > pissed off
    > > too. I might send them your post since I think it was well written in

    > hopes
    > > that if they see what consumers in newgroups are writing, they will

    begin
    > > see the error in their ways. As it is I told them I and oother people

    > think
    > > Universal really doesn't care.
    > >
    > > Mark
    > > GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    > > http://www.genreonline.net
    > > Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
    > >

    > Go ahead and send them the post Mark. BTW, you know me under a different
    > name from previous posts and have prob seen my rants about Universal

    before.
    > Thanks for the compliment; I have enjoyed many of your reviews in the past
    > aswell. Say hello to Kevin Smith for me aswell will ya. Is he going to
    > release Jersey Girl; just wondering.

    I forgot to mention that, as many of you that are in the dvd/entertainment
    business know, studios like Universal do apparantly have staff members that
    visit newsgroups like this one to get public feedback. Weather they actually
    take our comments to heart is another story. As I mentioned, I have no
    affiliation with the film, tv or entertainment industry what so ever,
    however, I own almost 400 dvds and have watch countless hours of film. I am
    also well read on the subject of audio, dvd, mastering; the technology
    itself. This is a hobby of mine which has me reading and posting to this NG
    once in a while. I never hold back on my comments..that is why we have
    forums like this. Lets just hope that the studios are reading this valuable
    information.

    Sure, some of the studios might think we are a minority of anal retentive
    film lovers that pine over every aspect of a dvd's attributes or lack there
    of. Maybe they think our opinion just doesn't matter. They are clearly wrong
    if that is the case. Why did any of us get into to dvd to begin with? For
    the quality and features that it offers. Studios like Universal must under
    estimate customer feedback because they simply are not listening. For every
    person like me that takes the trouble to write this stuff, there is 1,000's
    of dvd buyers that just won't, for example, buy the new Scarface dvd cause
    they are fed up. It's the customers that don't take the trouble to offer
    feedback that Universal, for example, should think about seriously.

    Universal should just admit that they screwed up on the original Scarface.
    Then, they should offer a rebate towards the new re-issue. They should do
    this with Animal House, Blues Brothers, I hate to admit, most of their early
    releases. The 2nd re-issue of Animal House for example was not that bad,
    however, compare it to the new one...see what I mean. What about that awfull
    full screen version that they put out first? Really, do they think we don't
    care about quality? If that's the case, why all of the sudden are they
    marketing their products based on the assumption that we do care about
    quality? What, did they suddenly realise this?

    There is a fine line between making a film lover wait for one their favorite
    (wish titles) to come out and rushing out a poor version to appease the mass
    audience. A good example might be the film Neighbours. This one has yet to
    see the light of day on dvd. Would it have been better to get a crappy
    release back in, say, 1998, or wait for a premium version to come out in
    2003. I say, better to wait since this title has long been available on VHS.
    Paramount, for example, did the right thing making us wait for the Godfather
    films. The often criticized Steven Spielberg is doing the right thing by
    making us wait for correct versions of his highly anticipated releases.

    We have to tell the studios that we don't mind waiting if it means getting a
    premium version of a particular title. The technology is here, it has been
    since 1997. The Philips Spirit Data Cine converter, touted as the best
    technology for transfering celuloid to digital imaging, has been on the
    market for some time now. Once again, the technology has been around for
    quite some time now. For this reason we as consumers cannot accept inferior
    quality like, for a great example, the original Scarface dvd.

    I should point out that Warner Brothers or other studios are not entirely
    innocent of releasing bad transfers on the market. The original One Flew
    Over The Cuckoo's Nest dvd is perhaps one of the very worst transfers I have
    ever seen thus far. This doens't include those awfull Front Row
    Entertainment or Madacy grab bags we have come to know and totally avoid.

    The idea of marketing a product by first offering an inferior, unacceptable
    "version" of the product, then, years later offering up the premium version
    that we should have gotten in the first place, is abhorant. Hypeing the
    release of the new improved version so that we can mentally compare the old
    with how good the new anticipated version will be, what is that? That is
    insane! We are ultimately to blame for buying into this garbage marketing
    tactic.

    We made dvd the fastest growing new entertainment media in history. More
    people owned a dvd player faster since dvd's inception than the number of
    people that bought colour tv's back when they came out.
    WE told the studios that the floodgates for heavy marketing were now open.
    Lets tell them that those gates will close unless they live up to the
    original promises made for dvd.

    Dunf, Sep 27, 2003
  5. On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:11:01 GMT, "Dunf" <> wrote:
    Don't Forget "Deer Hunter"
    This is even worse than the first release of "Scarface"
    This one DEFINATELY needs to be redone!!!!!

    J. Alfred Prufrock, Sep 27, 2003
  6. J. Alfred Prufrock wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:11:01 GMT, "Dunf" <> wrote:
    > Don't Forget "Deer Hunter"
    > This is even worse than the first release of "Scarface"
    > This one DEFINATELY needs to be redone!!!!!

    It has; but only in R2.

    Tallulah Blanket, Sep 27, 2003
  7. Dunf

    Writer R5 Guest

    I did send them a copy of your post and I hope they will listen.

    Writer R5, Sep 28, 2003
  8. Dunf

    Mr. Byrd Guest

    On 28 Sep 2003 03:31:02 GMT, ospam (Writer R5) wrote:

    >I did send them a copy of your post and I hope they will listen.
    >
    >Mark
    >GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    >http://www.genreonline.net
    >Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster

    what is your people's problems with Universal???? What have they done to you?
    They don't OWE you anything like you seem to think. If they wanted, they wouldn't have to put out home video
    at all and you could just pay $8 to see the flics at the theaters like in the old days. Quit your griping.
    It gets really tiresome and I'm not surprised they don't listen to you. Geez Louise!

    Doc Speedbyrd

    Mr. Byrd, Sep 28, 2003
  9. Dunf

    Dunf Guest

    "Mr. Byrd" <> wrote in message
    > On 28 Sep 2003 03:31:02 GMT, ospam (Writer R5) wrote:
    >
    > >I did send them a copy of your post and I hope they will listen.
    > >
    > >Mark
    > >GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    > >http://www.genreonline.net
    > >Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
    > >

    > what is your people's problems with Universal???? What have they done to

    you?
    > They don't OWE you anything like you seem to think. If they wanted, they

    wouldn't have to put out home video
    > at all and you could just pay $8 to see the flics at the theaters like in

    the old days. Quit your griping.
    > It gets really tiresome and I'm not surprised they don't listen to you.

    Geez Louise!

    > Doc Speedbyrd

    Hey Doc, if you have no problem with purchasing the same dvd over and over
    again just to get a decent transfer, then I can see why you have no issue
    with Universal.

    Dunf, Sep 28, 2003
  10. Dunf

    Mr. Byrd Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:58:19 GMT, "Dunf" <> wrote:

    >"Mr. Byrd" <> wrote in message
    >> On 28 Sep 2003 03:31:02 GMT, ospam (Writer R5) wrote:
    >>
    >> >I did send them a copy of your post and I hope they will listen.
    >> >
    >> >Mark
    >> >GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    >> >http://www.genreonline.net
    >> >Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
    >> >

    >> what is your people's problems with Universal???? What have they done to

    >you?
    >> They don't OWE you anything like you seem to think. If they wanted, they

    >wouldn't have to put out home video
    >> at all and you could just pay $8 to see the flics at the theaters like in

    >the old days. Quit your griping.
    >> It gets really tiresome and I'm not surprised they don't listen to you.

    >Geez Louise!
    >>
    >> Doc Speedbyrd

    >Hey Doc, if you have no problem with purchasing the same dvd over and over
    >again just to get a decent transfer, then I can see why you have no issue
    >with Universal.

    I don't purchase the same one over and over. I wasn't unhappy with the original release.

    Doc Speedbyrd

    Mr. Byrd, Sep 28, 2003
  11. "Mr. Byrd" <> wrote in message
    > I don't purchase the same one over and over. I wasn't unhappy with the

    original release.

    Then you have very low standards. There's no problem with that at all.

    Brandon Fisher, Sep 29, 2003