    buying - it's on the security sticker only (and of course, on the tiny print
    on the back)

    Just a heads up.
    JWB, Sep 30, 2003

  2. JWB

    Tarkus Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:55:50 GMT, JWB wrote:

    > Check carefully to make sure you know which version of Scarface you are
    > getting - I took it for granted that this DVD was a widescreen only release,
    > and only realized my mistake at the checkout line. I put back the fullscreen
    > version I had grabbed and got the proper version. Unlike most new releases
    > today, it is not prominently displayed on the case which version you are
    > buying - it's on the security sticker only (and of course, on the tiny print
    > on the back)

    No offense, but I can't imagine anyone who cares about aspect ratio not
    checking the packaging before buying. It may not be as obvious as some
    DVDs, but it's absolutely very easy to find. It's prominently displayed
    both on the spine and on the back.
    --
    "Never before has the beauty of the sexual act been so crassly
    exploited!"

    Now playing: "Ozzy Osbourne - Black Sabbath"
    Tarkus, Sep 30, 2003

  3. JWB

    JWB Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:55:50 GMT, JWB wrote:
    >
    > > Check carefully to make sure you know which version of Scarface you are
    > > getting - I took it for granted that this DVD was a widescreen only

    release,
    > > and only realized my mistake at the checkout line. I put back the

    fullscreen
    > > version I had grabbed and got the proper version. Unlike most new

    releases
    > > today, it is not prominently displayed on the case which version you are
    > > buying - it's on the security sticker only (and of course, on the tiny

    print
    > > on the back)

    > No offense, but I can't imagine anyone who cares about aspect ratio not
    > checking the packaging before buying. It may not be as obvious as some
    > DVDs, but it's absolutely very easy to find. It's prominently displayed
    > both on the spine and on the back.

    Well, it IS displayed. Prominently, though? Not really. At best, the type is
    approx 8pt on the security sticker.

    I almost always check, but then again, it's usually right there on the front
    of the case if it's offered in a fullscreen version (in other words, saying
    nothing usually means widescreen).

    And sure enough, if you slip Scarface out of the cardboard cover and look at
    the Amray case, the word WIDESCREEN is right there on the bottom, where it
    usually is. The cardboard cover looks *exactly* the same, minus that one
    important word. Why they didn't make two different cardboard covers is
    beyond me.

    oh well, I'll make sure to look more carefully next time.
    JWB, Oct 1, 2003
  4. JWB

    Tarkus Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 01:30:33 GMT, JWB wrote:

    > Well, it IS displayed. Prominently, though? Not really. At best, the type is
    > approx 8pt on the security sticker.

    Security sticker? I'm talking about below the credits on the back, where
    it's very clearly labeled 16:9 widescreen, or something like that.
    --
    "I'm sorry, Wendy, but I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five
    days and doesn't die."

    Now playing: the radio
    Tarkus, Oct 1, 2003
  5. JWB

    dinosaurbob Guest

    "JWB" <> wrote in message news:<Z6qeb.35064$>...
    > "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:55:50 GMT, JWB wrote:
    > >
    > > > Check carefully to make sure you know which version of Scarface you are
    > > > getting - I took it for granted that this DVD was a widescreen only

    > release,
    > > > and only realized my mistake at the checkout line. I put back the

    > fullscreen
    > > > version I had grabbed and got the proper version. Unlike most new

    > releases
    > > > today, it is not prominently displayed on the case which version you are
    > > > buying - it's on the security sticker only (and of course, on the tiny

    > print
    > > > on the back)

    > > No offense, but I can't imagine anyone who cares about aspect ratio not
    > > checking the packaging before buying. It may not be as obvious as some
    > > DVDs, but it's absolutely very easy to find. It's prominently displayed
    > > both on the spine and on the back.

    > Well, it IS displayed. Prominently, though? Not really. At best, the type is
    > approx 8pt on the security sticker.
    >
    > I almost always check, but then again, it's usually right there on the front
    > of the case if it's offered in a fullscreen version (in other words, saying
    > nothing usually means widescreen).
    >
    > And sure enough, if you slip Scarface out of the cardboard cover and look at
    > the Amray case, the word WIDESCREEN is right there on the bottom, where it
    > usually is. The cardboard cover looks *exactly* the same, minus that one
    > important word. Why they didn't make two different cardboard covers is
    > beyond me.
    >
    > oh well, I'll make sure to look more carefully next time.

    I just got the disc today at Costco. I was just about to place it into
    my cart and I noticed the *very small print* on the back saying "Full
    Screen".

    I very nearly missed it. I put it back and grabbed another. Full
    screen again. A sense of panic started to come over me that this was
    how they all were, but on my third try I found the "Anamorphic
    Widescreen". Whew!

    +Dinosaurbob+
    dinosaurbob, Oct 1, 2003
  6. JWB

    JWB Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 01:30:33 GMT, JWB wrote:
    >
    > > Well, it IS displayed. Prominently, though? Not really. At best, the

    type is
    > > approx 8pt on the security sticker.

    > Security sticker? I'm talking about below the credits on the back, where
    > it's very clearly labeled 16:9 widescreen, or something like that.

    No, it doesn't say that (nor does it have the widescreen "logo"). It is in
    tiny 8 pt type (if that). It is very easy to miss.
    JWB, Oct 1, 2003
  7. JWB

    Tarkus Guest

    On 1 Oct 2003 02:18:50 -0700, dinosaurbob wrote:

    > I just got the disc today at Costco. I was just about to place it into
    > my cart and I noticed the *very small print* on the back saying "Full
    > Screen".
    >
    > I very nearly missed it. I put it back and grabbed another. Full
    > screen again. A sense of panic started to come over me that this was
    > how they all were, but on my third try I found the "Anamorphic
    > Widescreen". Whew!

    The point is, if you look for the aspect ratio on this release, it is not
    hard at all to find. I spotted it both on the spine and on the back
    probably within five seconds of picking it up. If you're looking for it
    to jump out at you, you might miss it. But if aspect ratio is important
    to you, I would think you'd look for it before buying, knowing that MANY
    DVDs come in both formats.
    --
    "Was my mother careful when she stabbed me in the heart with a clothes
    hanger while I was still in the womb?"

    Now playing: the radio
    Tarkus, Oct 1, 2003
  8. JWB

    Moviezzz Guest

    Did all of your DVDs come in a cardboard foldover cover? Mine did and it was
    clearly labeled as widescreen.
    Moviezzz, Oct 1, 2003
  9. JWB

    Tarkus Guest

    On 01 Oct 2003 18:45:47 GMT, Moviezzz wrote:

    > Did all of your DVDs come in a cardboard foldover cover? Mine did and it was
    > clearly labeled as widescreen.

    That's what I'm talking about. I was wrong earlier saying it was below
    the credits on the back. It's actually above them. There is a title
    called Specifications, and the very first thing listed is Anamorphic
    Widescreen or Full Frame. It would be almost impossible to miss if
    you're looking for it at all.
    --
    "Satan, your ass is gigantic and red. Who am I going to pretend you
    are, Liza Minelli?"

    Now playing: the radio
    Tarkus, Oct 1, 2003
  10. JWB

    JWB Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > On 01 Oct 2003 18:45:47 GMT, Moviezzz wrote:
    >
    > > Did all of your DVDs come in a cardboard foldover cover? Mine did and

    it was
    > > clearly labeled as widescreen.

    > That's what I'm talking about. I was wrong earlier saying it was below
    > the credits on the back. It's actually above them. There is a title
    > called Specifications, and the very first thing listed is Anamorphic
    > Widescreen or Full Frame. It would be almost impossible to miss if
    > you're looking for it at all.

    That was my whole point - the fact that it is there, in teeny little type,
    and not on the front cover like prettymuch every other recent DVD I have
    seen. Especially on a big release two disc special edition. In fact, many
    recent SE's were released without a fullscreen version. I could see where
    people would think Scarface a WS only release.

    So the whole point of my original post was to say you're gonna have to look
    for it - it's not clearly labeled like almost every other FS/WS release.
    "Clearly labeled" meaning not on the front.

    JWB
    JWB, Oct 2, 2003
  11. JWB

    Bill Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:53:25 GMT, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >On 1 Oct 2003 02:18:50 -0700, dinosaurbob wrote:
    >
    >> I just got the disc today at Costco. I was just about to place it into
    >> my cart and I noticed the *very small print* on the back saying "Full
    >> Screen".
    >>
    >> I very nearly missed it. I put it back and grabbed another. Full
    >> screen again. A sense of panic started to come over me that this was
    >> how they all were, but on my third try I found the "Anamorphic
    >> Widescreen". Whew!

    >The point is, if you look for the aspect ratio on this release, it is not
    >hard at all to find. I spotted it both on the spine and on the back
    >probably within five seconds of picking it up. If you're looking for it
    >to jump out at you, you might miss it. But if aspect ratio is important
    >to you, I would think you'd look for it before buying, knowing that MANY
    >DVDs come in both formats.

    No, the point is that the two versions aren't CLEARLY labeled so one
    can be distinguished from the other. I too first picked up the FOOL
    Screen version, and only found out after reading the tiny print on the
    back. At the time, I remember thinking, "What stupid moron thought
    this packaging up?". The two versions look exactly alike.

    - Bill
    Bill, Oct 2, 2003
  12. On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:38:21 GMT, Bill <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:53:25 GMT, Tarkus <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 1 Oct 2003 02:18:50 -0700, dinosaurbob wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just got the disc today at Costco. I was just about to place it into
    >>> my cart and I noticed the *very small print* on the back saying "Full
    >>> Screen".
    >>>
    >>> I very nearly missed it. I put it back and grabbed another. Full
    >>> screen again. A sense of panic started to come over me that this was
    >>> how they all were, but on my third try I found the "Anamorphic
    >>> Widescreen". Whew!

    >>The point is, if you look for the aspect ratio on this release, it is not
    >>hard at all to find. I spotted it both on the spine and on the back
    >>probably within five seconds of picking it up. If you're looking for it
    >>to jump out at you, you might miss it. But if aspect ratio is important
    >>to you, I would think you'd look for it before buying, knowing that MANY
    >>DVDs come in both formats.

    >No, the point is that the two versions aren't CLEARLY labeled so one
    >can be distinguished from the other. I too first picked up the FOOL
    >Screen version, and only found out after reading the tiny print on the
    >back. At the time, I remember thinking, "What stupid moron thought
    >this packaging up?". The two versions look exactly alike.
    >
    >- Bill

    I'll just jump in here with my 2 cents. When this film first came to laserdisc, years ago, the widescreen
    version was only available by special order (at least in my area). The full screen version was readily
    available. I was told by the store clerks that the full screen version was actually better in quality and
    that the w/s version didn't add that much more to the image. Now I've never seen the full screen version
    (except on cable TV), but I see things in the w/s version that I KNOW I wouldn't have seen in f/s. This was
    the myth and the San Francisco area and I had to wait on a waiting list of special orders for the w/s version.
    Can anyone add to this?

    Doc Speedbyrd
    Monsewer Byrd, Oct 2, 2003
  13. JWB

    Tarkus Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 23:20:44 GMT, JWB wrote:

    > So the whole point of my original post was to say you're gonna have to look
    > for it - it's not clearly labeled like almost every other FS/WS release.

    And my whole point is that if aspect ratio is important to you, that
    should be automatic that you look for it. And it took me all of about
    five seconds to find it both on the spine and on the back.

    Some DVDs are indeed difficult to find the aspect ratio (if it's even
    listed at all), but this is not one of them. Not even close.

    Tarkus, Oct 2, 2003
  14. JWB

    Tarkus Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:38:21 GMT, Bill wrote:

    > No, the point is that the two versions aren't CLEARLY labeled so one
    > can be distinguished from the other. I too first picked up the FOOL
    > Screen version, and only found out after reading the tiny print on the
    > back. At the time, I remember thinking, "What stupid moron thought
    > this packaging up?". The two versions look exactly alike.

    No they don't. One says Widescreen on the spine and on the back under
    "Specifications" and the other says Full Frame in those areas.
    --
    "No one needs to know about this except you, me and Mr. Soon-to-be-
    living-the-rest-of-his-short-ass-life-in-agonizing-pain-rapist here."

    Now playing: the radio
    Tarkus, Oct 2, 2003
  15. JWB

    Jeeters Guest

    "JWB" <> wrote in message

    > Check carefully to make sure you know which version of Scarface you are
    > getting - I took it for granted that this DVD was a widescreen only

    release,
    > and only realized my mistake at the checkout line. I put back the

    fullscreen
    > version I had grabbed and got the proper version. Unlike most new releases
    > today, it is not prominently displayed on the case which version you are
    > buying - it's on the security sticker only (and of course, on the tiny

    print
    > on the back)
    >
    > Just a heads up.

    Yeah, I picked mine up at Walmart the other day. I also noticed that it was
    a little hard to tell if it was WS or not. What made me look hard
    *immediately* was the fact that walmart had tags on the shelves saying
    simply "Scarface - Uni - $16.79". I was like "what's 'Uni' mean?" so it
    made me scrutinize the packaging. All the discs (probably about 50 copies)
    appeared to be fullscreen. This was in the main shelf area. I was about to
    give up but on my way out discovered a small section of scarfaces on the
    aisle end (like only 5discs) that were all WS. There were also tagged "Uni"
    so I have no idea what that means.

    The cardboard cover is not labeled as being WS or fullscreen at all on the
    front. It does say 'widescreen" on one end of the spin, though (very small
    type), and is listed as such on the back under the specs.

    Don't feel bad about making it to checkout. I actually went and bought Two
    Towers from target a few weeks ago and got all the way home at which point I
    realized I'd picked up a fullscreen version, and it said so clearly on the
    front - doh!
    Jeeters, Oct 2, 2003
  16. JWB

    Jeeters Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:38:21 GMT, Bill wrote:
    >
    > > No, the point is that the two versions aren't CLEARLY labeled so one
    > > can be distinguished from the other. I too first picked up the FOOL
    > > Screen version, and only found out after reading the tiny print on the
    > > back. At the time, I remember thinking, "What stupid moron thought
    > > this packaging up?". The two versions look exactly alike.

    > No they don't. One says Widescreen on the spine and on the back under
    > "Specifications" and the other says Full Frame in those areas.

    When we say 'exactly alike', we mean that if you standing in the store
    looking at the titles, there's no way to see which title is which without
    actually picking it up and scrutinizing it. Most, if not all, duel (full
    vs. WS) releases are packaged so that their identified from the front as to
    which version you're staring at.

    It's like going to the grocer to get a can of baked beans and *all* the cans
    say 'beans'. So you have to rummage through the shelves and pick up each
    can and read it to figure out if it's a can of "baked beans" or "green
    beans" or "lima beans", etc.
    Jeeters, Oct 2, 2003
  17. JWB

    JWB Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 23:20:44 GMT, JWB wrote:
    >
    > > So the whole point of my original post was to say you're gonna have to

    look
    > > for it - it's not clearly labeled like almost every other FS/WS release.

    > And my whole point is that if aspect ratio is important to you, that
    > should be automatic that you look for it. And it took me all of about
    > five seconds to find it both on the spine and on the back.

    I guess you're just better than the rest of us. Sorry to have posted the
    heads up for the unwashed masses. It obviously annoyed you.
    JWB, Oct 2, 2003
  18. JWB

    Tarkus Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 14:32:14 GMT, JWB wrote:

    > "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> And my whole point is that if aspect ratio is important to you, that
    >> should be automatic that you look for it. And it took me all of about
    >> five seconds to find it both on the spine and on the back.

    > I guess you're just better than the rest of us.

    So how long did it take you to find it?

    > Sorry to have posted the heads up for the unwashed masses. It obviously
    > annoyed you.

    Who said I was annoyed? I simply expressed a contrary opinion. That
    happens on Usenet sometimes, you know.

    Tarkus, Oct 2, 2003
  19. JWB

    Tarkus Guest

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:44:54 -0400, Jeeters wrote:

    > Yeah, I picked mine up at Walmart the other day. I also noticed that it was
    > a little hard to tell if it was WS or not. What made me look hard
    > *immediately* was the fact that walmart had tags on the shelves saying
    > simply "Scarface - Uni - $16.79". I was like "what's 'Uni' mean?" so it
    > made me scrutinize the packaging. All the discs (probably about 50 copies)
    > appeared to be fullscreen. This was in the main shelf area. I was about to
    > give up but on my way out discovered a small section of scarfaces on the
    > aisle end (like only 5discs) that were all WS. There were also tagged "Uni"
    > so I have no idea what that means.

    I would imagine it's short for Universal.
    --
    "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind
    you from the truth."

    Now playing: the radio
    Tarkus, Oct 2, 2003
  20. JWB

    Hugh Candlin Guest

    Jeeters <> wrote in message news:eek:...

    > Yeah, I picked mine up at Walmart the other day. I also noticed that it was
    > a little hard to tell if it was WS or not. What made me look hard
    > *immediately* was the fact that walmart had tags on the shelves saying
    > simply "Scarface - Uni - $16.79". I was like "what's 'Uni' mean?" so it
    > made me scrutinize the packaging. All the discs (probably about 50 copies)
    > appeared to be fullscreen. This was in the main shelf area. I was about to
    > give up but on my way out discovered a small section of scarfaces on the
    > aisle end (like only 5discs) that were all WS. There were also tagged "Uni"
    > so I have no idea what that means.

    The Universal remake, to differentiate it from MCA's original.
    Hugh Candlin, Oct 2, 2003