Scarface: Universal screws up worse than ever.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by PseudoApparition, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. So, at least here in Canada, there's 3 versions of the new Scarface DVD:

    2-Disc Special Edition - Widescreen
    2-Disc Special Edition - Fullscreen
    3-Disc Super Special Edition - Widescreen

    The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME, except
    for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL or
    WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1 or
    2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable. The point
    is, there's absolutely no indication on the front of the box that says which
    version you have in your hands. Bad Universal! tsk tsk. There's going to
    be a lot of angry people returning this DVD over the next few weeks, for
    sure (on both sides of the spectrum, unfortunately). But not in the
    store -I- work at. :) I put big white stickers on all of the copies we
    have, that all say either:
    W I D E S C R E E N
    Original Aspect Ratio

    or

    F U L L S C R E E N
    Modified Aspect Ratio

    I don't even know why a Fullscreen version of a movie like this exists.
    Especially as a special edition. It'd be nice if it had a short
    informational piece about WS vs FS, using footage from Scarface. Oh well.

    Dan
    PseudoApparition, Sep 30, 2003

  2. PseudoApparition

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "PseudoApparition" <> wrote in message
    > The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME,

    except
    > for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL

    or
    > WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1

    or
    > 2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable.

    Somehow, I don't consider this the worst screw up Universal has ever
    made. Frankly, the forced unskippable trailers in front of most of their
    DVDs these days are a lot more offensive. Does Scarface have any of
    those?
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 30, 2003

  3. On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:25:15 GMT, "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    >"PseudoApparition" <> wrote in message
    >> The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME,

    >except
    >> for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL

    >or
    >> WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1

    >or
    >> 2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable.

    >Somehow, I don't consider this the worst screw up Universal has ever
    >made. Frankly, the forced unskippable trailers in front of most of their
    >DVDs these days are a lot more offensive. Does Scarface have any of
    >those?

    My players skips over them just fine.

    Doc Speedbyrd
    Monsseur Byrd, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Monsseur Byrd <> writes:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:25:15 GMT, "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"PseudoApparition" <> wrote in message
    > >> The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME,

    > >except
    > >> for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL

    > >or
    > >> WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1

    > >or
    > >> 2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable.

    > >Somehow, I don't consider this the worst screw up Universal has ever
    > >made. Frankly, the forced unskippable trailers in front of most of their
    > >DVDs these days are a lot more offensive. Does Scarface have any of
    > >those?
    > >

    > My players skips over them just fine.
    >
    > Doc Speedbyrd

    It skips over the ones in Animal House??

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
    Scott Streeter, Sep 30, 2003
  5. PseudoApparition

    Doonie Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:59:32 GMT, PseudoApparition wrote:

    >I don't even know why a Fullscreen version of a movie like this exists.
    >Especially as a special edition. It'd be nice if it had a short
    >informational piece about WS vs FS, using footage from Scarface. Oh well.

    Print out some examples and post them next to the Scarface display
    in your store.
    Doonie, Sep 30, 2003
  6. PseudoApparition

    Mike McGee Guest

    In article <>, Scott Streeter
    <> wrote:

    > It skips over the ones in Animal House??

    Scott, hit STOP when you see the "Warning" message. Then hit Menu.
    it'll work just fine.

    Don't wait until the ads/trailers start playing, otherwise it won't
    work.

    Regards,

    Mike

    --
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Mike McGee
    Mike McGee, Sep 30, 2003
  7. On 29 Sep 2003 23:04:23 -0400, Scott Streeter <> wrote:

    >Monsseur Byrd <> writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:25:15 GMT, "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"PseudoApparition" <> wrote in message
    >> >except
    >> >or
    >> >or
    >> >
    >> >Somehow, I don't consider this the worst screw up Universal has ever
    >> >made. Frankly, the forced unskippable trailers in front of most of their
    >> >DVDs these days are a lot more offensive. Does Scarface have any of
    >> >those?
    >> >

    >> My players skips over them just fine.
    >>
    >> Doc Speedbyrd

    >It skips over the ones in Animal House??

    Don't know about AH. Haven't watched that one on DVD yet.

    Doc Speedbyrd
    Monsseur Byrd, Sep 30, 2003
  8. On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:36:19 GMT, Mike McGee <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> wrote:

    >In article <>, Scott Streeter
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> It skips over the ones in Animal House??

    >Scott, hit STOP when you see the "Warning" message. Then hit Menu.
    >it'll work just fine.
    >
    >Don't wait until the ads/trailers start playing, otherwise it won't
    >work.
    >
    >Regards,
    >

    >Mike

    It will work with a good, no-code player

    Doc Speedbyrd
    Monsseur Byrd, Sep 30, 2003
  9. PseudoApparition

    Tarkus Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:59:32 GMT, PseudoApparition wrote:

    > The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME, except
    > for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL or
    > WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1 or
    > 2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable.

    And you think that's the worst Universal screw up ever?

    Wow!

    If only that was even remotely true.
    --
    "Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What
    if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the

    Now playing: "Ozzy Osbourne - Live & Loud (1 of 2) - 08 - Flying High Again"
    Tarkus, Sep 30, 2003
  10. PseudoApparition

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >> My players skips over them just fine.
    >>
    >> Doc Speedbyrd

    >It skips over the ones in Animal House??

    Mine does. You can't go directly to the menu, and you can't do a chapter skip
    directly to the end, but you CAN fast-forward to them. The whole "forced
    trailers" thing was blown out of proportion. I didn't get the "Animal House"
    DVD right away, I just got it no more than a week ago, and I was stunned that
    such a simple problem caused such an uproar. Would I rather have the trailers
    be easily skippable by not having the chapter skip feature locked out? Yes.
    Is it really the end of the world that I have to fast-forward through them?
    No. It's not nearly as bad as studio logos and FBI warnings that are
    completely, 100% unskippable. Universal has fucked up on some titles, that's
    undeniable, but when it comes to "Animal House", I say EVERYBODY NEEDS TO FIND
    SOMETHING ELSE TO BITCH ABOUT!
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi
    CLOSEDOWN8, Sep 30, 2003
  11. PseudoApparition

    David Z Guest

    Why bother with a full screen version? I remember the days when only ONE
    version of a DVD would be released, and it was almost always widescreen.

    David Z, Sep 30, 2003
  12. Mike McGee <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> writes:

    > In article <>, Scott Streeter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > It skips over the ones in Animal House??

    > Scott, hit STOP when you see the "Warning" message. Then hit Menu.
    > it'll work just fine.
    >
    > Don't wait until the ads/trailers start playing, otherwise it won't
    > work.
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > Mike
    >
    > --
    > <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    > Mike McGee
    > Webmaster, The Digital Review
    > http://www.thedigitalreview.com

    Ah, cool. thanks!

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
    Scott Streeter, Sep 30, 2003
  13. "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:59:32 GMT, PseudoApparition wrote:
    >
    > > The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME,

    except
    > > for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL

    or
    > > WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1 or
    > > 2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable.

    > And you think that's the worst Universal screw up ever?
    >
    > Wow!

    actually, I meant in terms of DVD Packaging... but I wasn't clear... at all.
    So yeah... it's the worst (or second-worst, if you count putting french AND
    english on both sides of the cover page on other canadian discs) idea
    they've come up with, as it's INTENTIONALLY causing confusion among
    consumers. Yeah, we should be smart enough to check the package before
    purchasing (as I always do now), but how hard is it to put the format on the
    front, as they've done for every other release?

    Dan
    PseudoApparition, Sep 30, 2003
  14. PseudoApparition

    Tarkus Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:56:20 GMT, David Z wrote:

    > Why bother with a full screen version?

    Presumably because there's a market for it. These companies are in
    business to make money, after all. If full screen didn't sell, they
    wouldn't make it. I'm not sure why so many people here have difficulty
    grasping that simple concept.

    > I remember the days when only ONE version of a DVD would be released, and
    > it was almost always widescreen.

    Yes, but that was long before DVD became mainstream, and it was basically
    only hard core film collectors buying DVDs.
    --
    "The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will
    find you if you want it to."

    Now playing: "Ozzy Osbourne - Black Sabbath"
    Tarkus, Sep 30, 2003
  15. PseudoApparition

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article
    <290920032036187055%admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> in
    alt.video.dvd, Mike McGee <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com>
    wrote:
    >Scott, hit STOP when you see the "Warning" message. Then hit Menu.
    >it'll work just fine.
    >
    >Don't wait until the ads/trailers start playing, otherwise it won't
    >work.

    And what do you do when you get to the menu, select Play Movie, and
    _then_ the trailers start?

    I posted a few weeks ago that I had that experience with a rental
    DVD -- a Universal one, of course. How obnoxious!

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Oct 1, 2003
  16. So New York....

    always whining about the smallest things.

    Monsewer Byrd, Oct 1, 2003
  17. PseudoApparition

    Dunf Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "PseudoApparition" <> wrote in message
    > > The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME,

    > except
    > > for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL

    > or
    > > WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1

    > or
    > > 2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable.

    > Somehow, I don't consider this the worst screw up Universal has ever
    > made. Frankly, the forced unskippable trailers in front of most of their
    > DVDs these days are a lot more offensive. Does Scarface have any of
    > those?

    no trailers at the beginning of Scarface. Still, Universal can and does
    screw up.
    Dunf, Oct 1, 2003
  18. PseudoApparition

    STARMAN695 Guest

    > I remember the days when only ONE version of a DVD would be released, and
    >> it was almost always widescreen.

    >Yes, but that was long before DVD became mainstream, and it was basically
    >only hard core film collectors buying DVDs.

    WRONG in the early days of DVD it was either BOTH FS&WS or just FS .... take a
    look at the older DVD's especially from WB (example PURPLE RAIN FS only) and u
    will see that WIDE SCREEN ONLY DVD's started being released at least a year
    after DVD was introduced into the market.....then the companies figured there
    was a market for FS as well so they release seperate versions instead of
    combining them like they use to....
    $%#&^
    STARMAN695, Oct 1, 2003
  19. On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 05:25:46 GMT, "Dunf" <> wrote:

    >"Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    >> "PseudoApparition" <> wrote in message
    >> > The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME,

    >> except
    >> > for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL

    >> or
    >> > WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1

    >> or
    >> > 2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable.

    >> Somehow, I don't consider this the worst screw up Universal has ever
    >> made. Frankly, the forced unskippable trailers in front of most of their
    >> DVDs these days are a lot more offensive. Does Scarface have any of
    >> those?
    >>

    >no trailers at the beginning of Scarface. Still, Universal can and does
    >screw up.

    And I guess you've lived a perfect life with no screw-ups.

    Doc Speedbyrd
    Monsewer Byrd, Oct 1, 2003