    scanner.

    From the few that I tried I thought the results were not
    bad. The resolution limit seems to be at about a 6 mb file,
    scanned at 300 dpi. One picture (not so great content) can
    be seen here: http://www.bimo.com/scanner/HKphoto.htm

    My question is, what kind of better results could I expect
    from better equipment? Can anyone post some examples?

    Thanks,

    GW

    Cambium, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Cambium

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:47:47 GMT, "Cambium" <>
    wrote:

    >My question is, what kind of better results could I expect
    >from better equipment? Can anyone post some examples?

    Any dedicated film scanner will easily beat
    your 1250 for this purpose. Lots and lots
    of scan samples at

    http://www.terrapinphoto.com./jmdavis

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Dec 22, 2003

  3. Cambium

    Mark Herring Guest

    wrote:

    >Yesterday I tried scanning some of my old 35 mm slides just
    >to see what I could get from my Epson Perfection 1250
    >scanner.
    >
    >From the few that I tried I thought the results were not
    >bad. The resolution limit seems to be at about a 6 mb file,
    >scanned at 300 dpi. One picture (not so great content) can
    >be seen here: http://www.bimo.com/scanner/HKphoto.htm
    >
    >My question is, what kind of better results could I expect
    >from better equipment? Can anyone post some examples?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >GW

    somethings wrong here....

    300dpi for a 24 x36 mm slide is---very roughly---300 X 450 samples =
    135Kpixels. With RGB coding, this would be 405Kbyte file---not 6Mbyte.

    For slides, flatbeds have two issues: resolution and dynamic range
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Cambium

    Cambium Guest

    Thanks for your reply. I compared the best of my shots by
    the standards on that site - .25 x .25 film area, and I see
    what you mean.

    Any idea how this compares to actual printing from the film
    negatives? i.e., how much resolution is lost in the scan,
    comparing a print from film to a print from the scan from
    the same film?

    Cambium, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Cambium

    Cambium Guest

    You're right. Actual pixels are 1000 x 1700, so I guess I
    didn't understand the settings on the scanner software.
    Anyhow, to test the result against the website shown above,
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com./jmdavis
    I took 1/24th of the pixels, and the comparison of my scan
    to what can be done was pretty dismal.

    But even with this performance, I'm not too disappointed if
    I make a comparison to my Olympus 2100.

    Cambium, Dec 22, 2003
  6. Cambium

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    the Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II is an outstanding scanner and sells now for
    under $500.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Dec 22, 2003
  7. Cambium

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:12:20 GMT, "Cambium" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for your reply. I compared the best of my shots by
    >the standards on that site - .25 x .25 film area, and I see
    >what you mean.
    >
    >Any idea how this compares to actual printing from the film
    >negatives? i.e., how much resolution is lost in the scan,
    >comparing a print from film to a print from the scan from
    >the same film?

    There are several samples of scanned prints.

    IMO, very little is lost in the scan. It takes very good
    darkroom technique to match the quality of a film
    scan at 4000 dpi. (Although there is some skill and
    care involved in the film scan as well.) The film
    lab's generic 4x6" print doesn't come close.

    I do wish I still had more of the prints that I made
    in my wet darkroom, but the most recent of those
    are now around 25 years old, and most of these
    were made from grainy BW negatives. (I was a
    big Tri-X fan back in those days.)

    My two Ciba prints came close -- closer than
    I expected them to, in any case.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    scan snippets
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com/jmdavis

    Rafe B., Dec 22, 2003
  8. Cambium

    JMooreTS Guest

    >the Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II is an outstanding scanner and sells now for
    >under $500.

    And on Ebay, you can usually pick up a refurbished Scan Elite II w/ digital ICE
    (6 mos. warranty) for $360 - $400. I did (and I love it).

    John

    JMooreTS, Dec 22, 2003
  9. Cambium

    jb Guest

    I have used the Nikon 995 with the slide attachment.

    The results are as good as the original slide. - Need to crop in PShop...

    Have printed 35mm slides up to 11x17 and they look great. YMMV

    If you have a camera that accepts an attachment.... may save $$$

    IMHO---If you have only an occasional use -
    less then 200 slides - you may want to take them to a 'lab' and have scanned
    in -
    more then 200 or so - try the attachment thing -
    or if you are doing it as an on-going thing - then the scanner is the
    way.. - - -

    my $0.02..

    Take care and Happy Holidays to all - shoop and shoot a lot... (pics please)
    :>))

    John B - Wisconsin Cheesehead - Go Pack

    jb, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Cambium

    Cambium Guest

    That attachment looks pretty good. Limited mainly by the
    sensor capacity of the camera. I guess it would work for me
    to the extent my 2.1 mp C-2100 would give me small pics.
    Certainly good enough for some uses.

    Thanks,
    GW

    Cambium, Dec 23, 2003