    fxxy Guest

    Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
    scanner?

    fxxy, Jan 31, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    "fxxy" <> wrote:

    > Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
    > scanner?

    Yah the idiot proof one.

    --
    Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
    a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Jan 31, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    "fxxy" <> wrote:

    > Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
    > scanner?

    I guess you won't be doing any scans.

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Jan 31, 2007
  4. fxxy

    Bob Williams Guest

    fxxy wrote:
    > Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
    > scanner?

    Canon has a lot of scanners that will scan slides. So does Epson
    Visit Canon's website for info on specific models.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jan 31, 2007
  5. fxxy

    Dave S Guest

    fxxy wrote:
    > Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
    > scanner?

    If you have a digital camera that can accept close-up filters, you will
    spend much less time for better results than a flat-bed scanner.

    Dave S.

    Dave S, Jan 31, 2007
  6. Dave S wrote:
    > fxxy wrote:
    >> Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
    >> scanner?
    >>

    > If you have a digital camera that can accept close-up filters, you
    > will spend much less time for better results than a flat-bed scanner.
    >
    > Dave S.

    I would have thought a slide scanner was the answer.

    Dennis Pogson, Jan 31, 2007
  7. In article <xV5wh.3310$>,
    "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote:

    > Dave S wrote:
    > > fxxy wrote:
    > >> Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
    > >> scanner?
    > >>

    > > If you have a digital camera that can accept close-up filters, you
    > > will spend much less time for better results than a flat-bed scanner.
    > >
    > > Dave S.

    > I would have thought a slide scanner was the answer.

    In some respects Dave is correct, for down and dirty fast digital files
    the copy method works rather nicely provided your camera images at full
    frame of the 35mm.

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Jan 31, 2007
  8. On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:43:11 -0500, Little Green Eyed Dragon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <xV5wh.3310$>,
    > "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Dave S wrote:
    >> >>

    >> > If you have a digital camera that can accept close-up filters, you
    >> > will spend much less time for better results than a flat-bed scanner.
    >> >
    >> > Dave S.

    >> I would have thought a slide scanner was the answer.

    >In some respects Dave is correct, for down and dirty fast digital files
    >the copy method works rather nicely provided your camera images at full
    >frame of the 35mm.

    I'll toss in my 2 cents worth, having just gone thru this operation,
    both methods for comparison. Several years ago when I got my first
    Nikon CoolPix 950 digital camera, I worked out a technique for copying
    color 35mm slides using it and my jury rigged "light box". The main
    value of that camera was - it had excellent Macro capability, so I
    could put the lens close enough to fill the image frame with the image
    of the slide. Later I found using a 7X good quality eye loupe between
    the lens and the slide gave even better results. As the years passed,
    I obtained more cameras, including 2 CoolPix 995, and they were
    slightly better than the 950. All this time, my flatbed scanner, a HP
    4400C was useless for this purpose. And dedicated slide scanners were
    priced WAY too high for me, considering the cameras worked as well as
    they did.

    Just recently I found nearly 400 B&W negatives, some of 35 mm but
    most of 3 1/4" X 4 1/4" size that I'd taken during and after WW II,
    while in the Navy. Once again I tried my HP scanner on them, it was
    totally worthless for B&W negatives. So, back to the camera approach,
    and I digitized over 80 of my preferred ones this way. Then processed
    them in PhotoShop. Only a few days after finishing this, a local
    friend bought a recently released Canon 8600F flatbed scanner, and
    found it worked well for his slides. So, at his invitation, I took
    some of my 35mm plus some of the larger B&W negatives over and we
    scanned them on that new Canon scanner. I was quite pleased with what
    it could do, far more than my older scanner ever was able. When
    getting the files back home, I compared the images it made with those
    I made with the camera, and much to my great surprise - the scanner
    had greater resolution and detail. It's only flaw was it was limited
    to 3" width film, so I lost roughly 1/4" of those larger images. And
    what it could do with the 35mm negatives and color slides was far
    better than I'd been able to do with the camera. Bottom line, for
    most of my uses this unit at less than $180 price can do everything I
    need, thus eliminating forever my purchase of a $1000+ dedicated slide
    scanner. This technology seems to be improving rapidly, for which I'm
    very grateful.

    Olin McDaniel

    Olin K. McDaniel, Feb 4, 2007