Scanning Slides

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ed Mullikin, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. Ed Mullikin

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    I had the same experience with Ektachrome. They were quite old and some
    almost completely faded. I could not do much with them. The Kodachromes
    were fairly good. This doesn't answer your question but at least you know
    that you have company

    Ed Mullikin, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Ed Mullikin

    Jim Guest

    "B&B Musmon" <> wrote in message

    > The only slides I have are quite old. They are Ektachrome. The
    > software does have a setting for Kodachrome but that doesn't scan very
    > well. There is a redish shadow on every slide. I tried all the
    > settings and nothing makes it look any better. I download VueScan and
    > it basically looks the same.

    You doubtless are trying to scan Ektachrome E2 or E4. It has been known for
    a long time that these slides fade over time (more precisely, all colors
    except red fade).
    There is a product called Restoration of Color, originally made by Applied
    Science Fiction, which can deal with this problem.

    The current Ektachrome is E6, and it is much much better with respect to
    fading.
    Jim
    Jim, Oct 13, 2004

  3. "B&B Musmon" <> wrote in message
    > Although I have had my PhotoSmart Scanner for a very long time, I have
    > never scanned slides. I have an opportunity to do some work that
    > involved scanning slides. Before I say I can do it, I want to make
    > sure I can do it.
    >
    > The only slides I have are quite old. They are Ektachrome. The
    > software does have a setting for Kodachrome but that doesn't scan very
    > well. There is a redish shadow on every slide. I tried all the
    > settings and nothing makes it look any better. I download VueScan and
    > it basically looks the same.

    There are two main possibilities: (a) the scanner is funky, (b) the slides
    are funky.

    If you look at the slides on a light box with a loupe, do they look reddish?
    If so, the scanner's doing the right thing.

    Here's something to try that might work.

    Load the image into Photoshop, open up the levels tool, and set
    the black and white points* for each RGB color individually. Then look at
    the image and adjust the middle slider for each RGB color to remove any
    remaining color cast. If you want to get fancy, use the curves dialog to
    adjust shadow and highlight color balance separately.

    *: Move the left and right end sliders so that they just touch the darkest
    and lightest points on the histogram. The auto color balance function does a
    heavyhanded version of this.

    > I don't even know what kind of slides they want scanned but what
    > should I stay away from, obviously Ektachrome is on the list.
    >
    > Any insight would be appreciated.

    Actually, _Kodachrome_ is the one to stay away from: the dyes have weird
    spectral properties that interact badly with some scanners.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    B&B Musmon, Oct 13, 2004
  5. Ed Mullikin

    bmoag Guest

    I used to have a Photosmart scanner and still think it is a very capable
    machine This scanner has no problem with Ektachrome but is unable to scan
    most Kodachromes because of the density of those emulsions.
    I second the opinion with regard to fading: if the scans have a reddish hue
    they have faded and color shifted. If other images scan properly there is
    nothing wrong with the scanner.
    The easiest way to correct this is to use a photo editing program that has
    the functions built in to correct color fading or allows the use of
    plug-ins.
    I would recommend Photoshop Elements if you do not have such a program.
    The Applied Science Fiction plug-in has been mentioned. Two other plug-ins
    that can correct faded colors, as well as help with more normal images are
    Color Washer and iCorrect Edit Lab.The latter is also available as a stand
    alone program. I recently was handed my wife's decades old childhood
    kodacolor negatives, all faded and color shifted, and was very grateful for
    the time saved by these plug-ins correcting the colors usually on the first
    pass. It is really a treat to see the colors come up on those old images.
    bmoag, Oct 13, 2004
  6. Ed Mullikin

    B&B Musmon Guest

    I thank all of you for your helpful replies. This fading issue sure
    adds a whole new dimension to the project and a whole new immediacy to
    the process being done before there is no image left to deal with.

    Thanks again,
    Barry

    B&B Musmon, Oct 13, 2004