    "On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation
    in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does."
    Will Rogers

    Charlie Self, Jul 26, 2003

  2. A 35 mm film is 24 x 36 mm per image. At 4000 DPI this is 5669 x 3779 pixles
    or 21.5 MP . Multiply x 3 (for 3 colours)and you get 64 MB, pretty close to
    68 MB.

    I would say that one is quoting TIIF uncompressed file size and the other is
    JPEG (compressed). In fact 14 MB for a JPEG indicates very little
    compession. My 3 MP camera produces 9 MB TIFFs and 1.5 MB JPEGs with minmum
    compression.

    They probaly both so TIFF and JPEG, they have juste quoted different file
    types.

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    > Several slide scanning services offer a variety of resolutions. I'm aiming

    at
    > one that offers 4000 dpi (ppi?), with a file about 14 megs. See another

    that
    > offers 4000 dpi and a 68 meg file. Both seem to be using the same top end

    Nikon

    Dick Campbell, Jul 26, 2003

  3. Charlie Self

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Charlie Self writes:

    > Both seem to be using the same top end Nikon
    > scanner. Anyone know what gives?

    One is the JPEG size, the other is the TIFF size. Those are the file
    sizes I get in my own scans, for JPEGs (usually about 14 MB) and 8-bit
    TIFFs (usually about 68 MB) respectively. A 16-bit TIFF is twice that
    size, or about 128 MB.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 26, 2003