Scanning Slides with Nikon Coolscan V ED

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Richard Karash, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. There have been a lot of threads about scanning, so this is one more.

    I'm looking for the best way to easily get good slide scans from the
    Nikon Coolscan V ED.

    Here's what seems to work best with Nikon Scan 4.02:

    - Set the film type (Slides vs. Kodachrome vs. Negatives)
    - Generally, I turn off Curves, Color Bal, Unsharp Mask, and LCH.
    - Digital ICE = Normal, except OFF for Kodachrome
    - ROC = OFF
    - GEM = 0-1 and later remove noise with Noise Ninja. Else 2-3.
    - DEE is a STRONG control. It saves shadow detail in chromes by
    reducing contrast. I have some images that were greatly improved by
    using DEE=30-50, and others that are killed by DEE more than 10. I work
    with the preview, adjust DEE and click "Redraw."
    - Analog gain -- I don't touch it.
    - Scan Image Enhancer = OFF. (This is like "Auto Levels" right?)
    - I scan at 14 bits color, 4000 ppi; that is a BIG file.

    Then to Photoshop, crop, apply Noise Ninja where required, make
    adjustments, reduce to 8bit color, and call this my archival file.

    For print or screen, I start with the archival file
    - Change resolution and crop as needed
    - Smart Sharpen
    - Save as jpeg

    Any comments? Anybody else have a good formula for the Coolscan with
    Nikon Scan?

    -=- Rick

    P.S. I've seen complaints about Nikon Scan here, but so far, I find it
    easy to get good scans.

    --
    Richard Karash <>
    Richard "at" Karash "dot" com

    Richard Karash, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Richard Karash

    Jim Guest

    "Richard Karash" <> wrote in message
    > There have been a lot of threads about scanning, so this is one more.
    >
    > I'm looking for the best way to easily get good slide scans from the
    > Nikon Coolscan V ED.
    >
    > Here's what seems to work best with Nikon Scan 4.02:
    >
    > - Set the film type (Slides vs. Kodachrome vs. Negatives)
    > - Generally, I turn off Curves, Color Bal, Unsharp Mask, and LCH.
    > - Digital ICE = Normal, except OFF for Kodachrome
    > - ROC = OFF
    > - GEM = 0-1 and later remove noise with Noise Ninja. Else 2-3.
    > - DEE is a STRONG control. It saves shadow detail in chromes by
    > reducing contrast. I have some images that were greatly improved by
    > using DEE=30-50, and others that are killed by DEE more than 10. I work
    > with the preview, adjust DEE and click "Redraw."
    > - Analog gain -- I don't touch it.
    > - Scan Image Enhancer = OFF. (This is like "Auto Levels" right?)
    > - I scan at 14 bits color, 4000 ppi; that is a BIG file.
    >
    > Then to Photoshop, crop, apply Noise Ninja where required, make
    > adjustments, reduce to 8bit color, and call this my archival file.
    >
    > For print or screen, I start with the archival file
    > - Change resolution and crop as needed
    > - Smart Sharpen
    > - Save as jpeg
    >
    > Any comments? Anybody else have a good formula for the Coolscan with
    > Nikon Scan?
    >
    > -=- Rick
    >
    > P.S. I've seen complaints about Nikon Scan here, but so far, I find it
    > easy to get good scans.
    >
    > --
    > Richard Karash <>
    > Richard "at" Karash "dot" com

    I own the Coolscan IV which as near as I can tell works quite a bit like the
    Coolscan V.

    I always do a preview before I determine which, if any, of those things that
    the image needs. I tend not to use curves and the like because I do that
    kind of adjustment in Photoshop.

    In all likelihood, there is no single best way to do this task.

    Jim

    Jim, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Richard Karash wrote:
    > There have been a lot of threads about scanning, so this is one more.
    >
    > I'm looking for the best way to easily get good slide scans from the
    > Nikon Coolscan V ED.
    >
    > Here's what seems to work best with Nikon Scan 4.02:
    >
    > - Set the film type (Slides vs. Kodachrome vs. Negatives)
    > - Generally, I turn off Curves, Color Bal, Unsharp Mask, and LCH.
    > - Digital ICE = Normal, except OFF for Kodachrome
    > - ROC = OFF
    > - GEM = 0-1 and later remove noise with Noise Ninja. Else 2-3.
    > - DEE is a STRONG control. It saves shadow detail in chromes by
    > reducing contrast. I have some images that were greatly improved by
    > using DEE=30-50, and others that are killed by DEE more than 10. I work
    > with the preview, adjust DEE and click "Redraw."
    > - Analog gain -- I don't touch it.
    > - Scan Image Enhancer = OFF. (This is like "Auto Levels" right?)
    > - I scan at 14 bits color, 4000 ppi; that is a BIG file.
    >
    > Then to Photoshop, crop, apply Noise Ninja where required, make
    > adjustments, reduce to 8bit color, and call this my archival file.
    >
    > For print or screen, I start with the archival file
    > - Change resolution and crop as needed
    > - Smart Sharpen
    > - Save as jpeg
    >
    > Any comments? Anybody else have a good formula for the Coolscan with
    > Nikon Scan?
    >
    > -=- Rick
    >
    > P.S. I've seen complaints about Nikon Scan here, but so far, I find it
    > easy to get good scans.

    After preview I set the grey point and dark and light end. Also, curves
    if necessary. This way I get a final scan that leaves me enough marginal
    for working in Photoshop. It is better to do these things while you are
    scanning.
    Archival file is 16 bit tiff, I save it on DVD. Working file for
    Photoshop is 8 bit jpeg, that is good enough for printing in A4-size.
    Whatever I do in Photoshot, reducing noise (Neat Image) is always the
    very last thing I do in my workflow. Smart Sharpen or USM is not always
    necessary at all. All of the working files I save on two hard disks,
    internal and external.
    Consider using VueScan. Very, very good scanning program, even better
    than Nikon Scan. Use glassless slide mounts.

    Väinö Louekari

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?V=E4in=F6_Louekari?=, Sep 15, 2006
  4. Richard Karash

    Guest

    Richard Karash wrote:
    > I'm looking for the best way to easily get good slide scans from the
    > Nikon Coolscan V ED.
    >
    > - Digital ICE = Normal, except OFF for Kodachrome

    I have a K-M DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400-2 which also says not to use
    Digital ICE with Kodachrome, but have found that it works very well on
    most. Your scanner might be different, but I'd certainly recommend
    experimenting (as another poster also did), even when it goes contrary
    to the directions. What have you got to lose? I gained a lot. Some of
    the Kodachromes I've scanned have been from 1940, yes 66 years old,
    and ICE made some unusable ones into excellent scans.

    , Sep 17, 2006
  5. Richard Karash

    jeremy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Richard Karash wrote:
    >> I'm looking for the best way to easily get good slide scans from the
    >> Nikon Coolscan V ED.
    >>
    >> - Digital ICE = Normal, except OFF for Kodachrome

    > I have a K-M DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400-2 which also says not to use
    > Digital ICE with Kodachrome, but have found that it works very well on
    > most. Your scanner might be different, but I'd certainly recommend
    > experimenting (as another poster also did), even when it goes contrary
    > to the directions. What have you got to lose? I gained a lot. Some of
    > the Kodachromes I've scanned have been from 1940, yes 66 years old,
    > and ICE made some unusable ones into excellent scans.

    Kodak has released Digital ICE4, which has been tweaked to work with
    Kodachrome.

    jeremy, Sep 18, 2006
  6. In article <HfnPg.1274$wU4.361@trnddc06>, jeremy <>
    wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Richard Karash wrote:
    > >> I'm looking for the best way to easily get good slide scans from the
    > >> Nikon Coolscan V ED.
    > >>
    > >> - Digital ICE = Normal, except OFF for Kodachrome

    > > I have a K-M DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400-2 which also says not to use
    > > Digital ICE with Kodachrome, but have found that it works very well on
    > > most.

    ....snip...

    > Kodak has released Digital ICE4, which has been tweaked to work with
    > Kodachrome.

    Hmmm... Nikon Scan 4 includes "Digital ICE 4 Advanced" and there is an
    explicit "Kodachrome" choice. I too have found useful for some
    Kodachromes; maybe I'll try it more often.

    Thanks for the comments.

    -=- Rick

    --
    Richard Karash <>