    / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
    No Good Deed -
    Goes Unpunished
    ps56k, Jan 27, 2012

  2. ps56k

    Mort Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > Better if the service co. provides "Gold" archival disks AND that said
    > disks be manufactured in Taiwan. (And esp. NOT made in India[1]).
    >
    > If the discs are not "Gold" (archival) then you should re-copy the discs
    > to fresh discs in 5 - 7 years. (They'll probably go 10 years or more,
    > but I don't take chances).

    Hi,

    The best discs (CD) for archival use are made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden,
    and are distinguished by a blue-green color of the recording surface.
    They are sold under various names. The T.Y. CD-Rs can be bought on line
    in the USA in spindle packs of 100 for about 32 cents each, which is
    really cheaper than the local stores' offbrands. They will allegedly
    last 100 years, although I myself will never see that.

    I prefer these discs for archival storage of images and of music.

    Regards,

    Mort Linder
    Mort, Jan 27, 2012

  3. Mort <> wrote:
    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >> Better if the service co. provides "Gold" archival disks AND that said
    >> disks be manufactured in Taiwan. (And esp. NOT made in India[1]).

    >> If the discs are not "Gold" (archival) then you should re-copy the discs
    >> to fresh discs in 5 - 7 years. (They'll probably go 10 years or more,
    >> but I don't take chances).

    > The best discs (CD) for archival use are made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden,

    I think there's a new contender in town (DVD) which, at least
    according to what I read (sorry, no personal experience yet,
    and certainly no long time personal experience), is an order of
    magnitude better than TY: the M-DISC. They estimate 1,000 years
    --- and that's not because the reflectivity fails, but because the
    carrier plastics will probably fail by then.

    Gold DVDs need stable environmental conditions (light, low
    humidity, not too warm). The M-DISC doesn't care (no organic
    dyes etc to chemically change.

    You do need a special writer (higher laser power needed), but
    any DVD+R capable reader should be able to read them.

    http://millenniata.com/

    [...]
    > They will allegedly
    > last 100 years, although I myself will never see that.

    > I prefer these discs for archival storage of images and of music.

    I'd still use dvdisaster to add extra CRC-data which can
    rescue data even from badly scratched or chemically aged disks.

    http://dvdisaster.net/en/

    -Wolfgang

    PS: According to an independent study evaluating the M-DISK,
    TY was worse than Delkin, which was again worse than MAM-A.
    (But then they used the best individual writer for the disks
    and *then* thew out all those that were no good after burning
    --- in which both Delkin and MAM-A suffered!)
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 8, 2012