    what will be the so-call ideal dpi setting, ie. 600dpi ? Next, if I wanted
    to enlarge from 4R to let say 6R or 8R, what will be the minimum dpi setting
    like and how is this being calculated. Thks in advance for all the help !
    Jako, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Jako <> wrote:
    >Hi, recently I have scanned a 4R photo into my PC and then sent the file for
    >digital print. But, the photo developed didn't turn out as good as the
    >original. Btw, the scanning is done at 300dpi, does that mean that the

    If you scanned the print, rather than the negative, you're bound to lose
    a lot of quality. You're printing a copy of the original, and many feel
    that prints top out at 200dpi of detail, in addition to a lower dynamic
    range compared to the original source.

    OTOH, I've have decent results scanning 5x7" and 8x10" prints and then
    making 4x6" ones off my photo printer.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Jako wrote:

    > Hi, recently I have scanned a 4R photo into my PC and then sent the file for
    > digital print. But, the photo developed didn't turn out as good as the
    > original. Btw, the scanning is done at 300dpi, does that mean that the
    > higher the dpi, the better the photo being developed, if that's the case,
    > what will be the so-call ideal dpi setting, ie. 600dpi ? Next, if I wanted
    > to enlarge from 4R to let say 6R or 8R, what will be the minimum dpi setting
    > like and how is this being calculated. Thks in advance for all the help !

    300 dpi is a good resolution for making a 1:1 print.
    Ordinarily, it doesn't make much (any?) difference if you scan a print at more
    than 300 dpi, because that is all the image information that most prints
    contain. If you are trying to make an enlargement from your print, it will not
    be as good quality as the original regardless of the dpi you use to scan the
    image.
    Bob Williams
    Robert E. Williams, Jul 16, 2003