Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearerthan the scan

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Patrick Briggs, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
    Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
    sharp than looking at the photo itself.

    I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels.
    I import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

    I wonder if it's something to do with older scanner technology (it's a 5
    year old scanner at least) or just a reality of scanning photos with
    consumer scanners. I assume that $1000 scanners used by ad agencies
    don't have this problem.

    If this is the wrong group to posts this to, does anybody know of a
    newsgroup that would be able to help?

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,

    Patrick
    Patrick Briggs, Feb 19, 2006

  2. Patrick Briggs

    Jim Guest

    Re: Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearer than the scan

    "Patrick Briggs" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
    > Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
    > sharp than looking at the photo itself.
    >
    > I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels. I
    > import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0
    >
    > I wonder if it's something to do with older scanner technology (it's a 5
    > year old scanner at least) or just a reality of scanning photos with
    > consumer scanners. I assume that $1000 scanners used by ad agencies don't
    > have this problem.
    >
    > If this is the wrong group to posts this to, does anybody know of a
    > newsgroup that would be able to help?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Patrick

    Your problem results from a scan that doesn't have enough pixels.
    Jim
    Jim, Feb 19, 2006

  3. Patrick Briggs

    Scott W Guest

    Patrick Briggs wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
    > Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
    > sharp than looking at the photo itself.
    >
    > I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels.
    > I import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0
    >
    > I wonder if it's something to do with older scanner technology (it's a 5
    > year old scanner at least) or just a reality of scanning photos with
    > consumer scanners. I assume that $1000 scanners used by ad agencies
    > don't have this problem.

    I assume you are scanning prints? if so then be aware that very few
    prints will have a lot of detail at 600 dpi. If you want a good test
    of the scanner scan a section of a dollar bill, these have very high
    resolution and should show you what you scanner is capable of.

    Scott
    Scott W, Feb 20, 2006
  4. Re: Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearer than the scan

    On 19 Feb 2006 16:43:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Scott W"
    <> wrote:
    > If you want a good test
    >of the scanner scan a section of a dollar bill, these have very high
    >resolution and should show you what you scanner is capable of.

    Have you actually tried to do this lately? My guess is the answer is no.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 20, 2006
  5. Patrick Briggs

    Scott W Guest

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    > On 19 Feb 2006 16:43:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Scott W"
    > <> wrote:
    > > If you want a good test
    > >of the scanner scan a section of a dollar bill, these have very high
    > >resolution and should show you what you scanner is capable of.

    > Have you actually tried to do this lately? My guess is the answer is no.

    Why would you guess that, it is an easy and fast test of a scanner.

    Scott
    Scott W, Feb 20, 2006
  6. Re: Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearer than the scan

    On 19 Feb 2006 17:04:23 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Scott W"
    <> wrote:

    >Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    >> On 19 Feb 2006 16:43:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Scott W"
    >> <> wrote:
    >> > If you want a good test
    >> >of the scanner scan a section of a dollar bill, these have very high
    >> >resolution and should show you what you scanner is capable of.

    >> Have you actually tried to do this lately? My guess is the answer is no.

    >Why would you guess that, it is an easy and fast test of a scanner.

    Put a $20 in your scanner and see why.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 20, 2006
  7. Patrick Briggs

    Battleax Guest

    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message
    > On 19 Feb 2006 17:04:23 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Scott W"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Have you actually tried to do this lately? My guess is the answer is no.

    >>Why would you guess that, it is an easy and fast test of a scanner.

    > Put a $20 in your scanner and see why.

    Indeed. Forbidden image. Photoshop may also have the security code as well
    Battleax, Feb 20, 2006
  8. Patrick Briggs

    Stewy Guest

    Re: Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearer than the scan

    In article <>,
    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote:

    > On 19 Feb 2006 16:43:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Scott W"
    > <> wrote:
    > > If you want a good test
    > >of the scanner scan a section of a dollar bill, these have very high
    > >resolution and should show you what you scanner is capable of.

    > Have you actually tried to do this lately? My guess is the answer is no.

    I've scanned old photos at 600dpi. The limitations of the film become
    apparent at the scale - very few are well-focussed. There will also be a
    fair amount of scattering which will reduce the apparent sharpness.
    Scanning pre-WW2 stamps will also make a good test subject - before the
    Postal Bureau started printing their low-res offset litho stamps.
    Stewy, Feb 20, 2006
  9. Patrick Briggs

    Nicholas Tse Guest

    Re: Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearer than the scan

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:31:49 -0800, Patrick Briggs
    <> wrotc:

    >Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
    >Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
    >sharp than looking at the photo itself.
    >
    >I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels.
    >I import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

    A 1100 pixels across the mointor!!
    I assume it to be more or less 11 inch measured across, that makes
    your photo viewing at the monitor at roughly 100 dpi only!!
    Nicholas Tse, Feb 20, 2006
  10. Patrick Briggs

    Bob Williams Guest

    Patrick Briggs wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
    > Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
    > sharp than looking at the photo itself.
    >
    > I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels. I
    > import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0
    >
    > I wonder if it's something to do with older scanner technology (it's a 5
    > year old scanner at least) or just a reality of scanning photos with
    > consumer scanners. I assume that $1000 scanners used by ad agencies
    > don't have this problem.

    Do you really mean that you imported the scanned image into Adobe
    Acrobat 6.0 and then printed it???.....How very droll.
    Scan it into a photo editor like Adobe Elements, Photoshop, Irfanview
    etc. Then print it without resampling it. Use your printer's highest
    quality setting. Your printer driver will resample the image to match
    the printer's optimum output.
    Remember, the image from your printer cannot possibly contain more image
    information than the original. Your scanner and your printer would both
    have to be PERFECT just to reproduce the same image quality as the original.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Feb 20, 2006
  11. Re: Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearer than the scan

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
    > Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
    > sharp than looking at the photo itself.
    >
    > I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels.
    > I import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

    Assuming you get other aspects corrected, how about a touch of USM to
    sharpen up your image ? You might need Photoshop for this.

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Malcolm Stewart, Feb 20, 2006
  12. Re: Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearer than the scan

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:55:21 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Battleax"
    <> wrote:

    >> Put a $20 in your scanner and see why.

    >Indeed. Forbidden image. Photoshop may also have the security code as well

    All recent image editing programs have this. The only way I can get an
    image is to scan using HP Deskscan II with my old HP Scanjet 5P and save to
    a file from Deskscan. However, can't open that in PSP, PSE or PS.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 20, 2006
  13. Patrick Briggs

    Bill Funk Guest

    Re: Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearer than the scan

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:06:11 -0000, "Malcolm Stewart"
    <> wrote:

    >"Patrick Briggs" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
    >> Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
    >> sharp than looking at the photo itself.
    >>
    >> I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels.
    >> I import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

    >Assuming you get other aspects corrected, how about a touch of USM to
    >sharpen up your image ? You might need Photoshop for this.

    Why would you need PS to do a USM?

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Feb 20, 2006
  14. Patrick Briggs

    Marvin Guest

    Patrick Briggs wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
    > Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
    > sharp than looking at the photo itself.
    >
    > I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels. I
    > import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

    That's an odd procedure. First of all, there is no gain in
    amoage quality by scanning a print at more than 300 ppi.
    Then you reduced the nuber of pixels below 300 ppi, assuming
    that the original print was larger than

    Marvin, Feb 20, 2006
  15. Patrick Briggs

    Marvin Guest

    Sorry. I clicked the send button too soon. Ignore the first
    post.

    Patrick Briggs wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
    > Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
    > sharp than looking at the photo itself.
    >
    > I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels. I
    > import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

    That is an odd procedure. First of all, there is no gain in
    resolution by scanning a print at more than 300 pp1 - and
    maybe more than 250 ppi. Then you resized the file too
    much, unless the original was 3 2/3" X 2 1/3" or smaller.
    Marvin, Feb 20, 2006