    been given three very old b/w negatives. They aren't numbered or identified
    in any way so, which side should be facing down in my scanner? The silvery
    side or the glossy side?
    eugene, Dec 17, 2007

  2. eugene wrote on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:09:10 -0000:

    e> Need a fast response to this one if anybody knows the
    e> solution. I have just been given three very old b/w
    e> negatives. They aren't numbered or identified in any way so,
    e> which side should be facing down in my scanner? The silvery
    e> side or the glossy side?

    You don't say what size negatives you are working with but, if
    you a have scanner like mine that shines light thro the
    negative, I think you would want the sensor to be as close to
    the emulsion as possible and that would be the "silvery" side
    against the scanner glass.

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
    James Silverton, Dec 17, 2007

  3. eugene

    eugene Guest

    "James Silverton" <> wrote in message
    > eugene wrote on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:09:10 -0000:
    >
    > e> Need a fast response to this one if anybody knows the
    > e> solution. I have just been given three very old b/w
    > e> negatives. They aren't numbered or identified in any way so,
    > e> which side should be facing down in my scanner? The silvery
    > e> side or the glossy side?
    >
    > You don't say what size negatives you are working with but, if you a have
    > scanner like mine that shines light thro the negative, I think you would
    > want the sensor to be as close to the emulsion as possible and that would
    > be the "silvery" side against the scanner glass.
    >

    > James Silverton
    > Potomac, Maryland
    >
    > E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

    thanks James. ironic getting an answer from someone with "silver" in their
    name ;-)

    eugene, Dec 17, 2007
  4. "eugene" <> wrote in message

    > "James Silverton" <> wrote in
    > message news:mLv9j.23689$D44.5321@trnddc04...
    >> eugene wrote on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:09:10 -0000:
    >>
    >> e> Need a fast response to this one if anybody knows the
    >> e> solution. I have just been given three very old b/w
    >> e> negatives. They aren't numbered or identified in any way
    >> so,
    >> e> which side should be facing down in my scanner? The
    >> silvery
    >> e> side or the glossy side?
    >>
    >> You don't say what size negatives you are working with but,
    >> if you a have scanner like mine that shines light thro the
    >> negative, I think you would want the sensor to be as close
    >> to the emulsion as possible and that would be the "silvery"
    >> side against the scanner glass.
    >>

    >> James Silverton
    >> Potomac, Maryland
    >>
    >> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    >> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

    > thanks James. ironic getting an answer from someone with
    > "silver" in their name ;-)

    I can't blame heredity for my answer (I hope it's right!)
    According to my father who was interested in such things, my
    name is a quite prosaic town name coming from a Celtic one (some
    place in Devon, England) with no connection to the metal.

    --
    Jim Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland
    James Silverton, Dec 17, 2007
  5. eugene

    Addenuff Guest

    Hi, James ....
    ...... Silverton, small(ish) village midway between Exeter and Tiverton in
    Devon, UK.
    Old English derivation but not Celtic.....!
    Nice place but growing rapidly, was much nicer once but is rapidly getting
    to a place to pass through rather than loiter in!
    50 48'60 N 003 29'00 W
    About 15 miles from me!
    Cheers,
    DP

    Addenuff, Dec 17, 2007
  6. eugene

    tomm42 Guest

    On Dec 17, 9:09 am, "eugene" <> wrote:
    > Need a fast response to this one if anybody knows the solution. I have just
    > been given three very old b/w negatives. They aren't numbered or identified
    > in any way so, which side should be facing down in my scanner? The silvery
    > side or the glossy side?

    The answer is "depends on the scanner" for my Minolta Scan Multi at
    home, the emulsion side (silvery) goes down, on the Epson V700 I have
    at work the emulsion side goes up.

    Tom
    tomm42, Dec 18, 2007
  7. "James Silverton" <> wrote in message

    > You don't say what size negatives you are working with but, if you a have
    > scanner like mine that shines light thro the negative, I think you would
    > want the sensor to be as close to the emulsion as possible and that would
    > be the "silvery" side against the scanner glass.

    I'm going to argue the opposite way.

    If you scan an image on paper, the inage faces down. That means that you
    want the image to be in an orientation that looks correct when you are
    looking up at it.

    For film, that orientation is with the emulsion side *up*. If you want to
    scan with the emulsion side down for some reason, you will want to reverse
    the image digitally after scanning.
    Andrew Koenig, Dec 20, 2007
  8. "Andrew Koenig" <> writes:

    >I'm going to argue the opposite way.

    >If you scan an image on paper, the inage faces down. That means that you
    >want the image to be in an orientation that looks correct when you are
    >looking up at it.

    >For film, that orientation is with the emulsion side *up*. If you want to
    >scan with the emulsion side down for some reason, you will want to reverse
    >the image digitally after scanning.

    True enough. However, mirror-imaging a digital image is trivial, and
    you're likely to get a slightly better quality scan if the emulsion
    isn't in the imaging light path. So scanning emulsion down makes sense,
    even if that does mean you need to mirror the image afterwards.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Dec 20, 2007
  9. tomm42 wrote on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 05:48:16 -0800 (PST):

    t> On Dec 17, 9:09 am, "eugene" <> wrote:
    ??>> Need a fast response to this one if anybody knows the
    ??>> solution. I have just been given three very old b/w
    ??>> negatives. They aren't numbered or identified in any way
    ??>> so, which side should be facing down in my scanner? The
    ??>> silvery side or the glossy side?

    t> The answer is "depends on the scanner" for my Minolta Scan
    t> Multi at home, the emulsion side (silvery) goes down, on the
    t> Epson V700 I have at work the emulsion side goes up.

    That answer is possibly correct but it depends on where is the
    light source and thus whether reflection or transmission is
    being used. My scanner has the source behind the slide or
    negative when in that mode. I don't think reflection would work
    at all well for a photographic negative but I'll admit I've only
    used my own scanner. I can't remember whether or not I needed to
    mirror the result. AFAIR, I did not when I scanned a few color
    negatives but it was a few years ago even if it should be
    trivial for the manufacturer to program reversal in negative
    mode.

    James Silverton, Dec 20, 2007